Prospect Info: Dylan Cozens, C/RW, 2019 7th overall, Lethbridge (WHL) --- Signed to ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Count on him at centre next season and expect another basement season. Let’s learn from the Mitts mistake
There is very little in common between Cozens and Mitts at the same points of development.

Cozens’ NHLe is 43. Its likely to rise a bit more if he continues to tear up the WHL post WJC. Mitts’ NHLe was 24 in his D+1 season in Minny. Cozens is also a faster/stronger skater as well as being much stronger period.

I’m not saying Cozens will come in and tear it up or that he has to play center. But he is FAR more prepared to step into the NHL than Mitts ever was at the same point.

Mitts’s problem wasn’t that he was counted on to play center. Its that he wasn’t ready yet for the NHL.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He may be in a Sam Reinhart situation. Dominate in the WHL, or make the jump to the next best league for him (NHL).
Sam wasn’t sent back to dominate the WHL. He was sent back to work on his skating and strength. If you recall he was given a workout program from the Sabres he had to implement during his D+1 season. It led to Sam ‘s production in juniors to drop off quite a bit from his draft year (From 1.75 ppg to 1.38ppg)

Reactions: lauraP

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
He has two advantages over Sam at the same point though - his skating is a weapon not something that needs work and he would be coming to a team that has an established star center and some established scoring wingers who would be bearing the brunt of responsibility and focus.
Looking back at his rookie year, Sam played the most minutes with ROR and Kane, so he wasn't in the worst situation either.

Reactions: joshjull

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Looking back at his rookie year, Sam played the most minutes with ROR and Kane, so he wasn't in the worst situation either.

There is still a difference in focus/perception between newly acquired O'Reilly and current Eichel though. Jack is clearly going to be the focus for a team to shut down and bear the brunt of criticism. Everyone was new that first year for Abysmal's team.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Sam wasn’t sent back to dominate the WHL. He was sent back to work on his skating and strength. If you recall he was given a workout program from the Sabres he had to implement during his D+1 season. It led to Sam ‘s production in juniors to drop off quite a bit from his draft year (From 1.75 ppg to 1.38ppg)
Interesting.We'll see where he is this off season, but that kid's game requires a mans body.

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
There is very little in common between Cozens and Mitts at the same points of development.

Cozens’ NHLe is 43. Its likely to rise a bit more if he continues to tear up the WHL post WJC. Mitts’ NHLe was 24 in his D+1 season in Minny. Cozens is also a faster/stronger skater as well as being much stronger period.

I’m not saying Cozens will come in and tear it up or that he has to play center. But he is FAR more prepared to step into the NHL than Mitts ever was at the same point.

Mitts’s problem wasn’t that he was counted on to play center. Its that he wasn’t ready yet for the NHL.
I completely agree that Cozens is on another level but my point is I believe we still have to acquire a 2C for next season and not count on him there. With that in mind I’d rather have him getting top 6 minutes on the wing than being our 3C but that’s my opinion

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
They need to revisit the NHL agreement with Juniors to allow top end prospects like him to go to the AHL a year early. I know it is supposed to help the Juniors teams keep their good players longer, but the very top end ones will not be staying anyways, and end up going straight to the NHL, when AHL time would be better for their development. It feels like all parties lose in that scenario.

Maybe just NHL first rounders that exceed certain point levels.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I completely agree that Cozens is on another level but my point is I believe we still have to acquire a 2C for next season and not count on him there. With that in mind I’d rather have him getting top 6 minutes on the wing than being our 3C but that’s my opinion
Fair enough

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
There is still a difference in focus/perception between newly acquired O'Reilly and current Eichel though. Jack is clearly going to be the focus for a team to shut down and bear the brunt of criticism. Everyone was new that first year for Abysmal's team.
Thats true.

I have a hard time deciding which I would prefer: Cozens in a really sheltered role assuming we get another center, playing 3rd line against easy matchups and 3rd line caliber linemates, or throwing him into a bigger role but with better teammates.

Reactions: Chainshot

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Thats true.

I have a hard time deciding which I would prefer: Cozens in a really sheltered role assuming we get another center, playing 3rd line against easy matchups and 3rd line caliber linemates, or throwing him into a bigger role but with better teammates.

we should not be forcing our top offensive prospects in a bottom 6 defensive role.

Until Cozens is ready to play in the top 6, he needs to stay in the WHL and then possibly the AHL

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
we should not be forcing our top offensive prospects in a bottom 6 defensive role.

Until Cozens is ready to play in the top 6, he needs to stay in the WHL and then possibly the AHL
He could be in a bottom 6 offensive role.

Its a bit ridiculous the preconditions some of you are putting on him for next season. Essentially if he isn’t ready to be a #2 center, then get him out of here!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Its a bit ridiculous the preconditions some of you are putting on him for nest season. Essentially if he isn’t ready to be a #2 center, then get him out of here!

Indeed. The old Vanek-Roy-Afinogenov deployment could be interesting if Jack as Briere and umm... the-center-as-yet-found is in the Drury role.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Thats true.

Hopefully, he is so impressive that he forces the issue.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
The more good players we have, the easier it will be for Cozens to adapt to the NHL next season. I could well see him in the role of 3C or the right winger of the third link, MoJo could play with him on the line, plus some center or right winger who can score goals.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX

Its a bit ridiculous the preconditions some of you are putting on him for next season. Essentially if he isn’t ready to be a #2 center, then get him out of here!

As far as I am concerned, he can play as a top 6 winger next year. I'm not #2 center or bust. I'm simply top 6 or bust

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo

I've been saying this all along. Put him at 3C like Tampa did with Cirelli. Then we have at least 3/4 C's covered in Eichel, Larry, and Cozens, and the off-season chore becomes landing a placeholder 2C via trade and FA. It's not like we don't have the assets to spend on middle of the round 2C. Maybe Risto + a 2nd would be work. Or FA just works out, in which case we get a guy for free that Cozens will replace in the following 2 or 3 years.

Despite all the hooting and hollering about the team lately, we're really only a few guys away from having an at least bubble worthy team, then with more drafts and growth from our young guys, who knows how good they can be. Cozens will play a big part in that, even early on in his career. No need to have him step into a position that'll hinder him. Time is still on our side for the next 8-10 years.

RocSabres

Jul 21, 2014
Why do so many people want to rush him and have him play center so early on? A ton of high end centers start their career on the wing which i think is super beneficial. Less defensive responsibility and more offensive freedom. Mackinnon is the perfect example of this and look how he turned out....

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Why do so many people want to rush him and have him play center so early on? A ton of high end centers start their career on the wing which i think is super beneficial. Less defensive responsibility and more offensive freedom. Mackinnon is the perfect example of this and look how he turned out....
Reinhart is a great example as well. I don’t think anyone is saying rush him, if he’s not ready to play Center next year in the NHL, back to the WHL he goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad