Prospect Info: Dylan Cozens, C/RW, 2019 7th overall, Lethbridge (WHL) --- Signed to ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
didnt Canucks literally just draft Hughes 7th overall and play him in his D+1 season?

I could have that wrong

Yep and I used him as one of my examples along with Pettersson on why it wouldn't be a complete disaster if Cozens played next year.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
We're running out of time with Eichel. If we don't compete next year, I think we're going to hear the media chirping. While it may not matter to most fans, it does play a role in how the team plays as a whole. Cozens is ready in a way that Middlestadt never was. Bring the guy up next season, use the cap space to bring in a vet winger who can actually play, and drop one of these RHD. If it has to be via trade, then bring in another vet winger as well. We don't need to get too creative here. GMJB has an infatuation with RHD and older wingers. It's time to see where this ship can go and bringing Cozens up next year is the start.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
We're running out of time with Eichel. If we don't compete next year, I think we're going to hear the media chirping. While it may not matter to most fans, it does play a role in how the team plays as a whole. Cozens is ready in a way that Middlestadt never was. Bring the guy up next season, use the cap space to bring in a vet winger who can actually play, and drop one of these RHD. If it has to be via trade, then bring in another vet winger as well. We don't need to get too creative here. GMJB has an infatuation with RHD and older wingers. It's time to see where this ship can go and bringing Cozens up next year is the start.
Get a grip on the bold. We are not even close to "running out of time" with Eichel.

Reactions: jd1970 and joshjull

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I have always been on the side of patience, but noted earlier in the year that if he manages to get to 2ppg for the full second half then he would be hitting the statistical high mark other stars have hit before making the jump to the NHL. With his size he may very well make the jump to a 3C protected line.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
He is the solution for our #2C spot. 6'3'', great speed and hands. He is the total package.
Maybe, perhaps even likely eventually, but I highly doubt he is replacement level next year. It is too big of a jump from CHL to #2C in the NHL. But unfortunately, I see Bobblehead doing just that.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Plan around him not being ready, and be surprised/waive/trade someone else when he does.

No more half-measures. No more Mittelstadting.

Agree, start him on the 3rd/4th line (at center or RW) with competent forwards and maybe pp2 time. Give him the 9 games and see how he looks. We cannot mess this one up.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Rushing prospects, especially at center hasn't worked for the Sabres in forever, if ever, at all.
So, yeah, let's try it again.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
I have always been on the side of patience, but noted earlier in the year that if he manages to get to 2ppg for the full second half then he would be hitting the statistical high mark other stars have hit before making the jump to the NHL. With his size he may very well make the jump to a 3C protected line.

top 6 or back to junior. No more playing offensive players in a defense first role. That is square peg in a round hole.

He can play top 6 wing. It's not like we could actually use a second line winger opposite of Skinner...

member 311261

I'm not saying he'll be ready or not next year, but I will say that he's eons ahead of Mittelstadt in his draft+1 year. I remember following Mitts' NCAA stats and thinking "s&$#" he's at best "pretty good" in college this year, nowhere near NHL.

Cozens is at least making a case that he "could" be ready.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
top 6 or back to junior. No more playing offensive players in a defense first role. That is square peg in a round hole.

He can play top 6 wing. It's not like we could actually use a second line winger opposite of Skinner...
Why do you keep posting this?

There are bottom 6 lines with offensively skewed deployments.

Reactions: Zman5778

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

This makes me all sorts of happy.

I love how in one of the few positive threads we have on here we’re bringing up Eichel leaving, assuming the worst, shit like that- like, bro, Cozens looks better than expected. Can we savor that for just a moment?

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019

Who said anything about a defense first role? Not me. Don't put words in my mouth. Now putting him at wing? That does sound like trying to widdle a square off into a round peg.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Why do you keep posting this?

There are bottom 6 lines with offensively skewed deployments.

we all know this team will use him in a bottom 6 checking role (if he is in the bottom 6), and play with players who cannot score, which is NOT ideal player usage.

Let's develop players into what they are supposed to be for once, instead of rushing them into a lessor role that they are not suited for.

We're already badly misusing Dahlin. Not again with Cozens. I will gladly wait a year or two to get this one right

Last edited:

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Who said anything about a defense first role? Not me. Don't put words in my mouth. Now putting him at wing? That does sound like trying to widdle a square off into a round peg.

what is wrong with him on the wing? Worked well for Reinhart, and we need a second line wing (and center)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad