Friedman: Dvorak’s name is out there, Minnesota interested (again)

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It's the top six of one of the worst teams in the league offensively. The Wild scored nearly 20% more in all situations. And if the Coyotes are barely a 1 line team, Dvorak had the honor of shoveling shit on the 2nd last year with such glorious names as Tyler Pitlick and Drake Caggiula. He often gets assigned Kessel babysitting duty. And this on a team receiving zero coaching.

The reason Minny keeps calling for him is that he's capable of playing at a level twice the face value of his contract, like in 19-20. It's worth it to call to see if the new GM is willing to finally let him go. Minny is paying Victor Rask ~450k less to be less than half as good, and Dvorak is controlled for four years. GMs care about winning, not draft pokemon, so they call. That contract is golden and he'll shine on a team with actual depth and coaching.

You just aren't getting Dvorak for a B prospect and a middling pick. That's a lowball. You've never been able to get a middle age 2C without flaws with excellent control for that amount.

I accounted for an extra 20% in production, and he's still in the low 50s.

Here's the problem, if you strongly feel like that's a lowball offer, try countering with someone that isn't a massive overpayment by Minnesota. Because even if he were a 60 point center, he's not getting Boldy, Rossi or Fiala. And he's not even close to that right now, and those are the only names I've seen Coyotes fans throw out.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I accounted for an extra 20% in production, and he's still in the low 50s.

Here's the problem, if you strongly feel like that's a lowball offer, try countering with someone that isn't a massive overpayment by Minnesota. Because even if he were a 60 point center, he's not getting Boldy, Rossi or Fiala. And he's not even close to that right now, and those are the only names I've seen Coyotes fans throw out.
Khusnutdinov+O’Rourke+PIT 1st :)

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
What most of you don't get about Dvo is that he's the only top six center in the entire organization right now. Schmaltz stinks at center. Hayton hasn't proven he can play center on the top AHL line and there's no other center prospect anywhere close to the NHL. Not only should we not trade him for one of the crap offers I've seen, we absolutely can't trade him unless we have plans for TWO top six centers this offseason. Since that has next to zero chance of happening. our new GM would be crazy to handcuff his new coach further by trading Dvo. Throw in the fact that none of you understand how little offensive help he gets 5v5 plus the fact that he draws every tough defensive assignment and you'll see why most of the sane Coyotes fans are very underwhelmed by the Dvo trade proposals opposing fans come up with.

Reactions: Jakey53

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Something around Kotkaniemi? Not sure I would do if I was MTL, but something to tinker.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Meh. I'd rather just keep Dvorak. And I might rank that PIT pick as the lesser of the three assets, just to give you an idea of how much like the prospects.

Yeah I figured that would be the case from one of your earlier posts.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I think this is somewhat in line with what it should be, depending on how Arizona values Beckman.

It's more or less a grab bag of two of these types of pieces:
Beckman
Marat
Khovanov
Firstov
1st
2nd

Which two pieces it ends up being are going to, again, depend on how Arizona and Minnesota each value them. For instance, I wouldn't give 1st+Marat or 1st+Beckman. If they like those prospects, I'd only attach a 2nd.
And there is no reason for the Coyotes to trade Dvorak for those grab bag pieces.

rt

May 13, 2004
Personally, I want to trade OEL for some contract dumps, sign some bigger, tougher, veteran UFAs, and give Andre Tourigny a fair shot at evaluating this roster now that Tocchet is gone. If things still look really bad, go ahead and deal Kuemper and Kessel at the TDL and the "older guys" like Garland, Dvorak, and Schmaltz in the off-season.

If I was GM, we'd be moving OEL to Chicago for Brett Connolly, Calvin De Haan, and Collin Delia (so we can expose him and protect Hill and Kuemper both) and then I'd be throwing way too much money (beat the next best aav by like 15-20%) on very short contracts (1-3 years) at guys like Barclay Goodrow, Jordan Martinook, Kurtis Gabriel, Jamie Oleksiak, Jani Hakanpaa and Luke Schenn.

Then I'd just sit on my hands until the Trade Deadline. Take an evaluation year. See what a new coaching culture, with some players that are tougher to play against, can do for the likes of Keller, Dvorak, Garland, Schmaltz, Hayton, Jenik, Chychrun, Soderstrom, etc. Just see what we really have and if we actually need to tear it all down and start completely over or not.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
See? Better. Still not quite there, but far more reasonable than Rossi, Boldy or Fiala.
I get saying Rossi and Fiala are unreasonable asks but Boldy? He is a good prospect for sure but you are asking for Dvorak to help win now. Plus Boldy is a winger and that matters.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I get saying Rossi and Fiala are unreasonable asks but Boldy? He is a good prospect for sure but you are asking for Dvorak to help win now. Plus Boldy is a winger and that matters.
I need you to explain why Rossi is unreasonable but Boldy isn't. Rossi is a 9th overall pick in 2020 and Boldy is a 12th overall pick in 2019. Both are arguably NHL ready, though if I had to say one will definitely be in the NHL this year I'd pick Boldy. He was over ppg during his NCAA season and his 14 game stint in the AHL. I'm not sure why Minnesota would think high quality ELCs can be used as trade assets right now unless the plan is to compete for the Cup this year (example: Eichel trade) and then blow it up next offseason.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I need you to explain why Rossi is unreasonable but Boldy isn't. Rossi is a 9th overall pick in 2020 and Boldy is a 12th overall pick in 2019. Both are arguably NHL ready, though if I had to say one will definitely be in the NHL this year I'd pick Boldy. He was over ppg during his NCAA season and his 14 game stint in the AHL. I'm not sure why Minnesota would think high quality ELCs can be used as trade assets right now unless the plan is to compete for the Cup this year (example: Eichel trade) and then blow it up next offseason.
Simply a centre vs winger bias. Plus, what is Boldy in the NHL? A 2nd line winger?

I don't know what Minnesota (fans) are thinking. The premise of the thread is Minnesota is asking about Dvorak, the Coyotes #1 C (by default), a good 2 way C signed for 4 more years at a value contract. Presumably, it is a move by Minnesota to get better NOW. That usually means trading futures for someone who makes the team better immediately.

And IF you trade for Eichel then you plan to compete for the next 5 years.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Simply a centre vs winger bias. Plus, what is Boldy in the NHL? A 2nd line winger?

I don't know what Minnesota (fans) are thinking. The premise of the thread is Minnesota is asking about Dvorak, the Coyotes #1 C (by default), a good 2 way C signed for 4 more years at a value contract. Presumably, it is a move by Minnesota to get better NOW. That usually means trading futures for someone who makes the team better immediately.

And IF you trade for Eichel then you plan to compete for the next 5 years.
I could see Boldy being a 1st line winger. Position is not super important, but the ELC and cost control are for a team that will soon have $14.7m in dead cap.

Speaking just for myself, I’d rather trade both 1sts this year than trade either of Boldy or Rossi.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I could see Boldy being a 1st line winger. Position is not super important, but the ELC and cost control are for a team that will soon have $14.7m in dead cap.

Speaking just for myself, I’d rather trade both 1sts this year than trade either of Boldy or Rossi.
Fair assessment. With that dead cap entry level players will be very important.

Does the buyout mean Dumba is protected now? So Soucy will be exposed? Or does Minnesota go 4 and 4?

The guy I would really want is Greenway. Dvorak for Greenway?

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Fair assessment. With that dead cap entry level players will be very important.

Does the buyout mean Dumba is protected now? So Soucy will be exposed? Or does Minnesota go 4 and 4?

The guy I would really want is Greenway. Dvorak for Greenway?
I think with the buyouts the Wild will go 7-3. They have to expose Soucy since the Wild have no Dmen to expose which is against the rules if they went 4-4(unless someone like Cole is re-signed). The FO thinks very highly of Dumba so I think he is safe for at least one more year.

Definitely would give Greenway for Dvorak though.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I would love Dvorak in Ottawa to play with Stützle and Connor Brown on the 2nd line. With his style of play, and contract, I think he'd be a perfect fit there.

I'd do:

Brannstrom + San Jose's 2nd rounder (38th overall) + Chris Tierney (throw in that Coyotes can flip at mid-season or the deadline)

No idea whether Arizona would take that though.

Nico Hughes

Jun 28, 2021
Dvorak is very underrated. Love him.

I think there is an argument that in terms of cost and contract, Minnie would be better off targeting Dvorak than Eichel.
Im not sure how he can be 'very underrated' considering he has one season in five of top-6 production, getting almost two and a half more minutes of ice time.

He wont be averaging nearly 19 minutes wherever he goes, so I doubt hes 'very underrated'. Hes a middle-6 center

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
^oops. I apparently underasked.
I could see Minnesota adding to Greenway for Dvorak. He's a good player and has a lot of potential, but he's one of the more polarizing players on the team and management's opinion of him is a little up in the air. He was challenged last summer to be more professional with things like his eating and sleeping habits, so there might still be some question marks there. His game-to-game performance can still be kind of up and down, but when he's up he's a monster.

Reactions: TaLoN

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Hopefully the Coyotes can find another center so Dvorak can line up with Schmaltz and Garland.
So GMBA called the wild about Dumba and the response was Dvorak. That didn't go over well.

rt

May 13, 2004
I would love Dvorak in Ottawa to play with Stützle and Connor Brown on the 2nd line. With his style of play, and contract, I think he'd be a perfect fit there.

I'd do:

Brannstrom + San Jose's 2nd rounder (38th overall) + Chris Tierney (throw in that Coyotes can flip at mid-season or the deadline)

No idea whether Arizona would take that though.
That’s a good offer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad