Value of: Dustin Byfuglien

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Buff is worth to much to the organization on and off the ice. Guy was a monster this year and elevated his play even more in the playoffs. He is imo is best all-around/toolsy defenseman the Jets have....Offensively, defensively, punishing hits, his play at even-strength and on the PP. Every youngish/new Dman that comes onto the Jets main roster gets paired with Buff to mentor them on the ice...saw it with Morrissey, Morrow, Chiarot, some Trouba (the whole LD stuff from few years back) and likely with Niku
I love Buff, and would love him on the Oil. He definitely isn't very good defensively though, and he's not the Jets top guy defensively

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
He's probably not that far off, honestly. The Jets would have a very difficult time finding a market for Byfuglien's contract, specifically. He has a contract that pays him $7.6m until he's 37 years old. There's no guarantee his current level play will continue throughout that term. There's plenty of risk involved in acquiring the player.

We do not want to trade buff.....he's been fantastic leader & player. In the playoffs he was arguably our MVP......and we reached the final four before being beat by a better team in a best of seven. Buff is unlike any other player in the NHL, he's like a force of nature......what he does with speed & size & skill & nastiness & brutal physicality.........no one can match in all of those areas combined like he does. IMO Buff is nearly untouchable, yes that's how good & important he is. This past year was one of his best years overall......he's showed no signs of declining and he has only three years left. No interest in trading buff.....zero.

Myers will be traded wayyyyyyy before buff is.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Even though their is only 3 years left, that contract scares me(ie I don't want to be the guy that pays at the wrong time to get declining goods)
Like the Isles picking up Andrew Ladd? He is worth 2 Ladds.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
We do not want to trade buff.....he's been fantastic leader & player. In the playoffs he was arguably our MVP......and we reached the final four before being beat by a better team in a best of seven. Buff is unlike any other player in the NHL, he's like a force of nature......what he does with speed & size & skill & nastiness & brutal physicality.........no one can match in all of those areas combined like he does. IMO Buff is nearly untouchable, yes that's how good & important he is. This past year was one of his best years overall......he's showed no signs of declining and he has only three years left. No interest in trading buff.....zero.

Myers will be traded wayyyyyyy before buff is.
That's fine, but we're talking about IF the Jets decided to stick with the younger D, I don't disagree his market would be a lot smaller than what a player of the skills you just described would normally attract due to his contract situation and his age.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
That's fine, but we're talking about IF the Jets decided to stick with the younger D, I don't disagree his market would be a lot smaller than what a player of the skills you just described would normally attract due to his contract situation and his age.

Sure all players contract status and age affect their value......but there is about zero % chance the Jets would even remotely consider trading him next year or the year after........final year yes maybe.

Reactions: Snowman

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I’d love to have him on the Lightning but his cap hit would be problematic for us and I wouldn’t want to give up what Jet fans would want for him.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I'm here all week!!! Well you would need a Dman back,I assume. Gards is a point producer and his skating style is the kind that lends itself to a long career...whats the add?

I’ll play along.....

1) I could be wrong but I would be surprised if the Leafs wanted to add a older D like Buff even if he would be by far their best rhd and comparable to Rielly in some ways and better then Rielly in other ways. Different players & styles but both high end D.

2) Do the Leafs have the cap space over the next three years with AM, Nylander, Marner new huge raises after signing JT?

3) I doubt the Jets would consider it without talking to Gardiner agent first.

4) Buff might waive to go to the Leafs....but not sure. Leafs are a good team, but he’s farther from home and Buff likes the outdoors a lot which Manitoba offers him better then living in a large city.

5) Only reason to do this trade from a Jets POV is get a bit younger and save some cap over the next few years......bc Buff is much preferable over Gardiner.

6) Guessing Gardiner will get 6-7 million, so it’s not saving us a ton of cap albeit he is younger then Buff. Less then 2 million per year savings per year.

Not sure the plus, Gardiner + for Buff. What would you offer?

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I’d love to have him on the Lightning but his cap hit would be problematic for us and I wouldn’t want to give up what Jet fans would want for him.

What would we want for him? What would you offer?

Only reason to trade Buff is to save cap & get younger, certainly not bc he isn’t good....he’s very good. So no point us taking equal cap back, we would just keep him if that’s the case. I understand you have a cap issue then, but we can’t take equal cap back just no sense doing the deal then.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I have no clue what you are trying to say.
Not at all surprising. Let me spell it out. You're drooling over how good Buff would be on a team that isn't as good as the one he's on. The Jets were better than the Pens in the regular season and also in the playoffs.
Besides that, what could Pittsburgh possibly offer to entice the Jets to move him?

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I’ll play along.....

1) I could be wrong but I would be surprised if the Leafs wanted to add a older D like Buff even if he would be by far their best rhd and comparable to Rielly in some ways and better then Rielly in other ways. Different players & styles but both high end D.

2) Do the Leafs have the cap space over the next three years with AM, Nylander, Marner new huge raises after signing JT?

3) I doubt the Jets would consider it without talking to Gardiner agent first.

4) Buff might waive to go to the Leafs....but not sure. Leafs are a good team, but he’s farther from home and Buff likes the outdoors a lot which Manitoba offers him better then living in a large city.

5) Only reason to do this trade from a Jets POV is get a bit younger and save some cap over the next few years......bc Buff is much preferable over Gardiner.

6) Guessing Gardiner will get 6-7 million, so it’s not saving us a ton of cap albeit he is younger then Buff. Less then 2 million per year savings per year.

Not sure the plus, Gardiner + for Buff. What would you offer?
Well, obviously no one would ever accuse me of being an expert! Howeva, 1) I think,Big bad Buf is the ticket for the Leafs, a good fit ,need wise. He would still be surrounded by talented players,so his role wouldn't be all that different in Toronto.
2)Minus Gardiner, cap space should be easier to manage,not exactly sure of the numbers these days,the cap seems to be on the rise.
3) Can't blame them there.
4) Yeah,he has earned the right to be where he wants and the big smoke isn't for everyone,but,I'm sure Shanny ,Dubas can paint a pretty picture of what it would be like to win in Toronto. Legendary status !
5) Is he really that much more prefferable, I mean,I see what he is,but the Jets have Plenty of Jam to spread around. Gards if you are not fully aware,is a hell of a skater, puck mover ,can skate it out almost at will.A very good stretch passer to boot. Works well on the PP,so I guess it depends on wether the Jets find that useful.
6)I would hope Gards signs on for less,but the market does seem to be creeping up,tough to say!
The add, likely someone from the prospect pool, that would rest on the Jets knowing what position they may want to fill cheaply in the future. The Marlies did win the Calder,some of those guys are gonna be Leafs this year! Just sayin'.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Well, obviously no one would ever accuse me of being an expert! Howeva, 1) I think,Big bad Buf is the ticket for the Leafs, a good fit ,need wise. He would still be surrounded by talented players,so his role wouldn't be all that different in Toronto.
2)Minus Gardiner, cap space should be easier to manage,not exactly sure of the numbers these days,the cap seems to be on the rise.
4) Yeah,he has earned the right to be where he wants and the big smoke isn't for everyone,but,I'm sure Shanny ,Dubas can paint a pretty picture of what it would be like to win in Toronto. Legendary status !
5) Is he really that much more prefferable, I mean,I see what he is,but the Jets have Plenty of Jam to spread around. Gards if you are not fully aware,is a hell of a skater, puck mover ,can skate it out almost at will.A very good stretch passer to boot. Works well on the PP,so I guess it depends on wether the Jets find that useful.
6)I would hope Gards signs on for less,but the market does seem to be creeping up,tough to say!
The add, likely someone from the prospect pool, that would rest on the Jets knowing what position they may want to fill cheaply in the future. The Marlies did win the Calder,some of those guys are gonna be Leafs this year! Just sayin'.

5) Yes Buff is easily a #2 guy on many teams, including the Jets who went to the final four. He achieves it via good puck moving, skating, take aways, PP QB and most of all dominating physical play.....this is a guy who can dominate entire games physically and intimidate opponents. No one will claim he’s Drew Doughty defensively.......but in all other areas he’s a #1D.......defensively he’s closer to a #3D. Overall a #2D

6) Gardiner would be interesting at 5.5-6 generally speaking.

Return - Jets strengths are similar to the Leafs. We have zero need for wingers. Returns could include maybe a cheap backup goalie, C prospect & D prospects.

I’m not advocating trading Buff, just chatting. Never thought of a Gardiner Buff Trade tbh.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
5) Yes Buff is easily a #2 guy on many teams, including the Jets who went to the final four. He achieves it via good puck moving, skating, take aways, PP QB and most of all dominating physical play.....this is a guy who can dominate entire games physically and intimidate opponents. No one will claim he’s Drew Doughty defensively.......but in all other areas he’s a #1D.......defensively he’s closer to a #3D. Overall a #2D

6) Gardiner would be interesting at 5.5-6 generally speaking.

Return - Jets strengths are similar to the Leafs. We have zero need for wingers. Returns could include maybe a cheap backup goalie, C prospect & D prospects.

I’m not advocating trading Buff, just chatting. Never thought of a Gardiner Buff Trade tbh.
Well, I think the Leafs are gonna score like crazy,so other teams will want to play them physical and it can be difficult to find physical players who aren't one dimensional. Buf would address that on the back end at least. It could happen! Maybe!

Reactions: Hunter368

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Gardiner for Buff... now I have seen it all. Let's never contend, shall we?

Like I stated:

I’ve seen like a 1000+ Gardiner offers for Trouba over the years.

I’ve seen 100+ Gardiner for Myers offers.

I don’t ever recall a Gardiner for Buff offer haha. TBH I’ve never even thought of the idea. Not advocating it either, but now I understand how guys who invented Reese Butter Cups thought at first.......combining chocolate & peanut butter? Bizarre idea

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018

Hope he stays with the jets. He was unreal in their playoff run. Easily Canadas best hope for a cup!

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
if u give gm's the green light on getting buff they all cream there pants and get into a bidding war. and the teams contending now claw at each other. 3 years at his price is peanuts for what he brings.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Anytime would love to have big daddy buff on the blue line , Hes a dying bread in the NHL , Big , strong , tough and rough an enforcer who can put up 50 points . Hes worth alot and honestly his production is no issue at all HES taken more PIM over the last few years and produced the same lol

Hes worth a good prospect and a late first

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Through the 1st 2 serries wins against Minny and Nash he was in the running for the con Smyth choice for the Jets....

Against Vegas the Jets were smothered and it was Buff that was one of the Jets only drivers getting through only to be Flurried.

Buff is a big game player and Reg season Big joyville Buff and playoff Buff are 2 different players.

Its like switching a light switch when he gets invested into be one of the most inpactful players in the game.

I say the Jets trade him next off season (with 2 yrs @ 7.6 mill) when they need to make room to sign Laine/Wheels .......... He will be worth a boatload of futures after winning the 2019 Stanley Cup and Conn Smyth.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
Buff is an incredibly talented and unique player that is part of the teams leadership on a team that is a contender. There is no way they trade him and don't get significantly worse. Even if it made sense to trade him (it doesn't) Chevy has shown to be very conservative with trades and loyal to his players, so he likely wouldn't be moved anyway. In all likelihood Buff will retire a Jet.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not at all surprising. Let me spell it out. You're drooling over how good Buff would be on a team that isn't as good as the one he's on. The Jets were better than the Pens in the regular season and also in the playoffs.
Besides that, what could Pittsburgh possibly offer to entice the Jets to move him?
Wow, the heads up in Winterpeg are getting pretty swollen. One year in the playoffs and you are a better team than the Penguins, who had a bad year because their arms were tired from lifting the Cup over their heads so much.

Get over yourself. The Penguins are one of the great teams in NHL history who had an off year. The Jets have been an awful team who had a good(not great) year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad