Value of: Dustin Byfuglien

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Wondering what the value would be for a Dustin Byfuglien. Could be a big possibility that to sign Trouba long term, Buff may need to be moved.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Wondering what the value would be for a Dustin Byfuglien. Could be a big possibility that to sign Trouba long term, Buff may need to be moved.

Due to Byfugliens weight(I believe he’s been the heaviest for the last couple seasons), height and age he’s gonna varying value to different organizations. I could see a win now team like Tampa giving a good pay off, a team looking for some 1D experienced powerhouse to get them moving forward(hedging their funds that hopefully that pusses them into the playoffs) in Edmonton, Arizona or Buffalo...

I’d imagine his average pay off would be 2 round prospects(who are obviously still well in track to the NHL)/ a impact qaulity C/D(obviously teams won’t offer Elite positional players for him due to factors I’ve already mentioned)/ Blue Chip Prospect(I.e. a Top 20 prospect league wide) plus a 2nd maybe...

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
3 years at 7.6m.... I imagine you get more for the trade if it was a rental or 1 year. Reality is dude is on the wrong side of 30 and missed a chunk of last season. Its not a risky trade but there is risk involved.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Byfuglien came to camp last year in much better shape than we had seen previously. He was much improved defensively this year (a lot less Bad Buff), despite the lower point totals. The guy was an absolute monster in the playoffs, certainly the best defenceman we had. Given our organization's loyalty, and his performance last year, he won't be moving this year or next.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
No reason for the Jets to look at moving Buff right now.

Even Jets fans like me, who like Myers, would rather see him traded by a long shot.

Reactions: Snowman

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Byfuglien came to camp last year in much better shape than we had seen previously. He was much improved defensively this year (a lot less Bad Buff), despite the lower point totals. The guy was an absolute monster in the playoffs, certainly the best defenceman we had. Given our organization's loyalty, and his performance last year, he won't be moving this year or next.

Honestly this. Jets regress without him even with whatever he brings back. I think his value to the jets is more then his trade value right now. However that last year even if the jets are in the running his trade value will most likely be more then his value to the jets.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Buff is worth to much to the organization on and off the ice. Guy was a monster this year and elevated his play even more in the playoffs. He is imo is best all-around/toolsy defenseman the Jets have....Offensively, defensively, punishing hits, his play at even-strength and on the PP. Every youngish/new Dman that comes onto the Jets main roster gets paired with Buff to mentor them on the ice...saw it with Morrissey, Morrow, Chiarot, some Trouba (the whole LD stuff from few years back) and likely with Niku

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Normally, I'd agree that a player like Buff, who is aging, expensive, tends to puff up during the offseason, is somewhat defensively challenged, takes bad penalties, etc. would be a bad acquisition, but as a fan of a team that plays him regularly, I can say that he can be one of the most impactful players in a series this side of McCrosby. He is an offensive force, and the only one who can rival him as a physical force is Chara. Surprisingly nimble for a big man.

Trouba has nowhere near his talent. A team like TOR who is looking to contend now could do worse than try and pick him up. As much as I like Marleau, Buff would have far more impact, and is more of a need, for not too much more $.

He only makes sense for a team that is looking to win now.

Imagine him on PITT?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets don't need to move Buff even if the sign Trouba, and they shouldn't. He's been aging well, staying in shape, playing a tighter defensive game and he was a beast in the playoffs.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Normally, I'd agree that a player like Buff, who is aging, expensive, tends to puff up during the offseason, is somewhat defensively challenged, takes bad penalties, etc. would be a bad acquisition, but as a fan of a team that plays him regularly, I can say that he can be one of the most impactful players in a series this side of McCrosby. He is an offensive force, and the only one who can rival him as a physical force is Chara. Surprisingly nimble for a big man.

Trouba has nowhere near his talent. A team like TOR who is looking to contend now could do worse than try and pick him up. As much as I like Marleau, Buff would have far more impact, and is more of a need, for not too much more $.

Imagine him on PITT?
He's had one bad off-season that he was out of shape. He's been in pretty good shape otherwise during the offseason. The guy still logs 24+ mins/

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's had one bad off-season that he was out of shape. He's been in pretty good shape otherwise during the offseason. The guy still logs 24+ mins/
Actually, I've seen him a time or 3 during the offseason(s) down here. He tends to work out at a rink down here. I don't feel comfortable saying that he gets fat, but man, is he thick. Agreed that he could probably now be considered underrated, though he is one of those odd players that can either win you a series single handedly, or lose you one. He certainly does set a tone. I wonder if CHI made a mistake all those years ago keeping players like Shaw and Sharp over him.
Weber pre-injury is the closest parallel to him that I can think of. A couple of monsters.

Last edited:

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Due to Byfugliens weight(I believe he’s been the heaviest for the last couple seasons), height and age he’s gonna varying value to different organizations. I could see a win now team like Tampa giving a good pay off, a team looking for some 1D experienced powerhouse to get them moving forward(hedging their funds that hopefully that pusses them into the playoffs) in Edmonton, Arizona or Buffalo...

I’d imagine his average pay off would be 2 round prospects(who are obviously still well in track to the NHL)/ a impact qaulity C/D(obviously teams won’t offer Elite positional players for him due to factors I’ve already mentioned)/ Blue Chip Prospect(I.e. a Top 20 prospect league wide) plus a 2nd maybe...

I think any team that has Big Buff definitely won't be getting into the playoffs that way. He's one tough dude!

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Byfuglien just had his best season in terms of overall play of his entire career but he didn't sacrifice defense for offense nearly as much as a few years ago, so we'll get two types of posters in this thread:

People watching point totals will say he's overpaid and declining

People who watched him destroy the Wild in the playoffs will say he's a dominant player who's worth a ton

I'd be worried about his contract if he had more term but with the season he just had, he should have 3+ good years left in him.

Reactions: Viktor Vaughn

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011

I'm pretty sure there's a rule that you're only allowed to speak English here on these boards.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011

Imagine him on PITT?
Yeah, man. Just imagine him as a Penguin. Or, like I know it's like, a pipe dream or whatever, but imagine him on a team that's kinda like, netter than Pittsburgh? Probably a team that wasn't awesome enough to get Marleau, but still somehow had a kinda, umm, way better season anyway? Like in the regular season and in the thing after the season? The playoffs? Is that what it's called?
Are there any teams like that that he could play for?

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
What you didn’t expect anyone to call you out on your idiotic posts?
It’s just my opinion. I personally wouldn’t want a team I root for to give up big assets to get Buff. But again, that’s just my take.

I don’t see why you get so worked up anytime anyone doesn’t agree with you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad