Rumor: Dumba deal in the works... several teams interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Imo, Dumba is being overvalued by a lot; he gets 6 on the cap. Other than one season he has been kind of average. Add to that he’s only 180 pounds, and that’s a recipe for taking on a bad contract. Plus, the Oilers don’t need Dumba. What teams will give up a top six centre for Dumba?

Enough of the 180 lb nonsense. Anyone that watches Dumba play will tell you his size isn't an issue. Think of an elite version of Troy Stecher.

As for the Wild getting a top 6 C for Dumba I agree with you. 2C's aren't getting shopped around and the ones that are suck.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Beckman is a solid B prospect and something around Danault extended for Dumba is quite fair. So no, the + wouldn't be substantial.
If you only value Beckman as a B prospect then why ask for him? Then to state the value like it is fact - why bother posting? It really depends on the extension as well, tough to gauge value based on no identified parameters (extension $$? Years?) that are critical in predicting value. If the extension is 5 years @ $3.25 AVV, there wouldn't be a +, if the extension is 8 years @ $7+, then the add better be big.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I spoke to a few of them in the past month and they were all interested in it. Their one concern is that Dumba’s deal is up at the same time as a lot of their core players. That stopped them from wanting to add to 10, but most still liked the idea.

Uh, ok. So in other words they liked the idea of Dumba but they did not want to trade 10th overall straight up for him?

edit: my mistake. You said 'the main piece coming back would be 10OA', implying the Jets add to it in order to get Dumba.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Uh, ok. So in other words they liked the idea of Dumba but they did not want to trade 10th overall straight up for him?

Reading sure is hard in Alphaville isn't it

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Any fan that wouldn't trade #10 for Dumba is just exposing themselves as a standard HFBoard poster who cares more about prospect pools than winning.

Every GM in hockey would trade #10 for Dumba unless their team was more than 3 years away from being a playoff team. Just because this website cares more about having the #1 prospect pool than winning games doesn't mean GMs feel the same way.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I understand Vancouvers interest.
Dumba and Hughes would be the perfect ying and yang defense tandem.
The grit, youth, skating ability, defense, offense.

my gosh that would be a legit force of a top pairing

but I don’t think vancouver can afford him.
One can dream

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Any fan that wouldn't trade #10 for Dumba is just exposing themselves as a standard HFBoard poster who cares more about prospect pools than winning.

Every GM in hockey would trade #10 for Dumba unless their team was more than 3 years away from being a playoff team. Just because this website cares more about having the #1 prospect pool than winning games doesn't mean GMs feel the same way.

Uh...Podkolzin was 10th overall last year. There was also Caufield, Krebs and Newhook on the board.

These prospects are not worth giving up to get 3 years of Dumba, whom the Wild are trying to move before Seattle takes him.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

The 10th overall is likely close to fair (though A gamble if Dumba doesn't improve on this latest seasons performance it looks less so).

The issue would be the Wild expecting anything more than that or equivalent value

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Imo, Dumba is being overvalued by a lot; he gets 6 on the cap. Other than one season he has been kind of average. Add to that he’s only 180 pounds, and that’s a recipe for taking on a bad contract. Plus, the Oilers don’t need Dumba. What teams will give up a top six centre for Dumba?
You keep saying that but it doesn’t make it correct; it’s actually the opposite. Other than one year (this year) Dumba has had a steady upward trend that includes 20 50+ point pace season before the age of 25. You’re acting like his 20 and 21 year old seasons should carry a lot of value when evaluating him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Uh...Podkolzin was 10th overall last year. There was also Caufield, Krebs and Newhook on the board.

These prospects are not worth giving up to get 3 years of Dumba, whom the Wild are trying to move before Seattle takes him.

And Dumba himself was a #7 pick.

Stop overrating draft picks and prospects.

The 10th overall is likely close to fair (though A gamble if Dumba doesn't improve on this latest seasons performance it looks less so).

The issue would be the Wild expecting anything more than that or equivalent value

It's really not though.

What past trades have been made that support the idea that 10th overall for Dumba is fair? You have Kapanen going for pick #15 and a prospect this year and Kapanen is not nearly as valuable as Dumba.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Enough of the 180 lb nonsense. Anyone that watches Dumba play will tell you his size isn't an issue. Think of an elite version of Troy Stecher.

As for the Wild getting a top 6 C for Dumba I agree with you. 2C's aren't getting shopped around and the ones that are suck.
Stecher gets 1/3 the cap costs of Dumba. As a Cunuck’s fan I’d rather have Stecher and Boeser, than Dumba.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Danault was ranked 7th among all centers in 5v5/60 production... If he's not good enough for you guys, then lol.
Super cherry-picked stat. I'm the best RHD on my team in pts/60 when playing after 11:00pm on Wednesdays against teams in blue or yellow jerseys with a left handed goalie on the 3rd ice sheet at 8rinks. Yes hyperbole, but when you look at the whole picture Danault is in the 30-40 range for pts, toi, etc. To present one stat where he's top 7 as your only argument gives the impression you are calling him a top 10 C which we all know is not the case.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
And Dumba himself was a #7 pick.

Stop overrating draft picks and prospects.

It's really not though.

What past trades have been made that support the idea that 10th overall for Dumba is fair? You have Kapanen going for pick #15 and a prospect this year and Kapanen is not nearly as valuable as Dumba.

He carries a 6 mil caphit in a flat cap era and is coming off a 28 point pace season and a major surgery the season prior.

The Muzzin trade saw a guy with 2 years of term (making 2 mil less) go for a late 1st and two prospects of the equivalent value of a 2nd each. Which is close to a top 10 picks worth.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
If #10 turns into a Dumba player you should be happy. I’d definitely trade #10 for Dumba

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Thinking 10 + Roslo is the price (as a base)
That’s my gut. I know a few Wild fans don’t have the confidence that Guerin could get both of those back at this point. I personally would be fine with 10 + Roslovic

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He carries a 6 mil caphit in a flat cap era and is coming off a 28 point pace season and a major surgery the season prior.

The Muzzin trade saw a guy with 2 years of term (making 2 mil less) go for a late 1st and two prospects of the equivalent value of a 2nd each. Which is close to a top 10 picks worth.

Muzzin's also on the wrong side of 30. Dumba is, theoretically, smack dab in his prime.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I know Guerin is taking after his Mentor Jimmy Rutherford and making trades well before the rest of the league is back from summer vacation, but I really think it’s be wise to wait for Tampa to finish and at least get a sense of what it might cost to get Cirelli.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad