GDT: Dumb and Dumber: Capitals @ Devils, 7:30 PM, NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Blackwood now a .915% on the season, but if you out his games against the really tough Capitals and Flames and he's a .929%!:sarcasm:

Reactions: My3Sons

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
I highly doubt they get to 70 points. That would mark the first time they don’t reach the 70 point mark in a ful season since 1987. Plus they have the benefit of the shootout and automatic OT point now. Damn things are rough lol

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Blackwood now a .915% on the season, but if you out his games against the really tough Capitals and Flames and he's a .929%!:sarcasm:

He’s playing behind a very weak lineup and is being asked to win them games where the lineup only scores one or two goals. At his age the way he’s playing he deserves a medal.

Reactions: mdj12784

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Shame on you if you wasted either on this game.

Well the money was unavoidable as a sunk sth cost. The only reason I bothered to go (aside from not being able to sell the tickets) was to try to find some of my arena friends since I hadn't gone to a game for weeks but of course none of them were there either so I wasn't gonna stay long once the game went to ****

Reactions: Satans Hockey

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I actually thought he was from Minnesota, because I know he's friends with Parise and has been for quite a while. They may have met going to/playing for North Dakota together or some Team USA junior program before that. I thought he was Parise's best man at his wedding, or maybe it was vice versa?

So I had to cheat and look that up.

He played one season with Parise at UND, then the next two with Zajac. So Zajac actually missed playing with Parise in college by just a year. That would have been interesting if they'd played together in college and then with the Devils just a couple years later.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
6-0 in October...man that seems like five seasons ago, not the SAME season :P
Just more to fuel why this has been the most disappointing season for the franchise since 1995-1996, and probably the second most of all time after that year.

Between the 4-0-0 start and coming off of last year.

Didn't we start 4-0-0 in 95-96 also?

4-0-0 (or 3-0-0) are like cursed starts in franchise history.

We went 4-0-0 to start 95-96 and missed the playoffs. Went 3-0-0 to start the 2013 lockout season and missed the playoffs. Went 3-0-0 to start the 14-15 season and missed the playoffs.

If we know what's good for us, nobody should feel down if we don't start the season 3-0-0 or 4-0-0 next year. We should be feeling less safe if we do start like that again next year, if anything.

We did start 3-0-0 last year and in the 02-03 cup winning season though.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Market correction
It just might be.

I think almost everyone could agree he wasn't really a .930% goalie. Being a .930% goalie is extremely unsustainable these days and usually wins you the Vezina when it's down over a large number of games. He led the league in save percentage out of goalies that played at least 2 games, before that Calgary game.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It just might be.

I think almost everyone could agree he wasn't really a .930% goalie. Being a .930% goalie is extremely unsustainable these days and usually wins you the Vezina when it's down over a large number of games. He led the league in save percentage out of goalies that played at least 2 games, before that Calgary game.

Well hopefully he doesn't play long enough to go under .910 :P

He's only got about four games left, might be iffy depending on what games they play him. If they're truly alternating games then Blackwood would be due to play against Arizona, at Detroit, Rangers and at Florida. That shouldn't be terribad at least. Cory'd get the short end of that stick with the Bruins, Blues and at Carolina along with Buffalo lolz

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
It just might be.

I'm fine with that, he has plenty of time to become better. Just want him out there to have games and gain experience. He showed he can play

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He’s playing behind a very weak lineup and is being asked to win them games where the lineup only scores one or two goals. At his age the way he’s playing he deserves a medal.
I thought he was poor in this game, probably his second worst game as far as quality of goals allowed and just looking shaky. His win over Chicago in January being his worst on the eye test.

Been pretty good for the most part and is still above league average (and first on the team in save percentage) by quite a bit.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well hopefully he doesn't play long enough to go under .910 :P

He's only got about four games left, might be iffy depending on what games they play him.
If they continue the trend of every other game, it should go like this, assuming both guys are healthy.

Bruins - Cory
Coyotes - Mac
Sabres - Cory
Red Wings - Mac
Blues - Cory
Rangers - Mac
Hurricanes - Cory
Panthers - Mac

I don't want to put the jinx on him, but the best offensive team he'd play on the remaining schedule are the Panthers in the finale. Them and the Blues are the only teams I'd say are even average or above average at scoring that we have left the rest of the way. The Canes are probably close to average at scoring too.

But we've just found ways to make the Rangers look like a great possession team and a great offensive team all year long and blew a 2-0 lead in two of the three games. Whether it was Keith looking like a scrub and handing them the game in the first meeting, the Saturday afternoon no-show at MSG or the sit back and turtle after going up 2-0 last game there.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I may be reading the box score wrong but I think the ice time leader was Carrick. He doesn’t stand out as anything special but he also doesn’t look like the train wreck a number of folks have said he resembles. It seems as if Hynes sees something he likes?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Meh, Mac was fine tonight. Most of the goals were off of quick passes.
He definitely should have had goal 3, it went right through his legs. The fourth one went through his legs as he was sliding, so I wouldn't nail him on that one.

Thought the first goal definitely stoppable, but it wasn't really a bad goal.

Goal 2 and goal 4 he had no chance on.

Not sure what he was doing on that play where he went to play the puck and then he hurried back and got it. Damon ''Can't play Severson'' kept it from going across the line.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I may be reading the box score wrong but I think the ice time leader was Carrick. He doesn’t stand out as anything special but he also doesn’t look like the train wreck a number of folks have said he resembles. It seems as if Hynes sees something he likes?

Eh this is an extended tryout. I thought he made a good two-on-one breakup in the first period. Didn't see his **** up in the second period as I was still getting back from watching the FDU game but he's just more of the same, teases with a nice play but then ****s up like all our other d-men do.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He has been playing a lot lately.

Here's my thing with him. He's a good bottom pairing guy, but he's also the kind of guy that if we bring back next year, it means we don't make any upgrades and then people (including myself) are complaining again about how bad our defense is, but some of them will also be the same people that wanted every bottom pairing guy and their brother brought back next year.

And by the same token, I'm sure there'll be those even if we do make upgrades who complain. ''Why did we let Carrick go?!'', ''Why did we let Mueller go?'', ''Why isn't Santini in the lineup most nights?''.

I do think Mueller might be on the outs after this year. I don't see both Mueller and Carrick here next year. Which one would I choose? Well, I do like Mueller and would like to see more out of him, but his season was cut short due to that nasty injury.

Pretty sure Santini firmly owns a #7/mostly healthy scratch spot at best for next season, so no use in penciling him in the top 6.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
He definitely should have had goal 3, it went right through his legs. The fourth one went through his legs as he was sliding, so I wouldn't nail him on that one.

Thought the first goal definitely stoppable, but it wasn't really a bad goal.

Goal 2 and goal 4 he had no chance on.

Not sure what he was doing on that play where he went to play the puck and then he hurried back and got it. Damon ''Can't play Severson'' kept it from going across the line.
That first goal was a world class shot. That thing was beautiful, made himself a screen and absolutely lasered it over the shoulder. Love goals like those. (Not against us of course haha)

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That first goal was a world class shot. That thing was beautiful, made himself a screen and absolutely lasered it over the shoulder. Love goals like those. (Not against us of course haha)
Definitely a good shot, although, I'm skeptical that Burakovsky can even unload that shot most nights.

I actually wouldn't mind him here. I think I would have liked it more if we traded Johansson to Washington for Burakovsky (just him and not the 2nd round pick) than just a second round pick. It was a deal that was proposed and speculated/bandied about on here back in January or early February or so.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
McLeod is a slow learner, but he is a learner.

Also, not the easiest situation out there with Gabriel and Tangradi.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
McLeod is a slow learner, but he is a learner.

Also, not the easiest situation out there with Gabriel and Tangradi.
That's one thing I think it's fair to criticize Shero and management over.

That we're playing Gabriel, Tangradi and Pietila up here instead of Gignac and Studenic. Unless one of those guys injured and I missed something.

Lappin is another useless plug. Send him back to the A, where he can average his worthless 4 rinky dink, muffin shots on goal per game.

My3Sons

Sponsor
That's one thing I think it's fair to criticize Shero and management over.

That we're playing Gabriel, Tangradi and Pietila up here instead of Gignac and Studenic. Unless one of those guys injured and I missed something.

Lappin is another useless plug. Send him back to the A, where he can average his worthless 4 rinky dink, muffin shots on goal per game.

Gignac and Studenic have longer to percolate. The guys up now are either scrappy and physical like McLeod or AHL vets like Pietilla and Lappin. I think this is some sort of thank you by the franchise to guys that under any ordinary circumstance wouldn’t belong in the NHL for this extended period.

Reactions: blink

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
He has been playing a lot lately.

Here's my thing with him. He's a good bottom pairing guy, but he's also the kind of guy that if we bring back next year, it means we don't make any upgrades and then people (including myself) are complaining again about how bad our defense is, but some of them will also be the same people that wanted every bottom pairing guy and their brother brought back next year.

And by the same token, I'm sure there'll be those even if we do make upgrades who complain. ''Why did we let Carrick go?!'', ''Why did we let Mueller go?'', ''Why isn't Santini in the lineup most nights?''.

I do think Mueller might be on the outs after this year. I don't see both Mueller and Carrick here next year. Which one would I choose? Well, I do like Mueller and would like to see more out of him, but his season was cut short due to that nasty injury.

Pretty sure Santini firmly owns a #7/mostly healthy scratch spot at best for next season, so no use in penciling him in the top 6.

If Mueller is let go so they could keep Carrick next year instead I’m punching Shero in the face. Severson too just cuz.

Reactions: Tretyak 20
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad