GDT: Dumb and Dumber: Capitals @ Devils, 7:30 PM, NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I actually thought he was from Minnesota, because I know he's friends with Parise and has been for quite a while. They may have met going to/playing for North Dakota together or some Team USA junior program before that. I thought he was Parise's best man at his wedding, or maybe it was vice versa?

So I had to cheat and look that up.

I hoped for years we'd get him and have the Parise/Zajac/Stafford all Sioux line, but we finally signed him like a decade too late.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Zajac with us is like Mel Stottlemyre (the player) with the Yankees...the poor sap that is the only good player around year after year when the team consistently sucks.
Funny comparison, as I think I once thought of him as Don Mattingly, only I know he isn't as good of a hockey player as Don Mattingly was at baseball. And Zajac has been on more playoff making teams than Mattingly, but I think you get the comparison.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This really sucks. I mean this season has been in the ****ter as far back as Halloween, but seeing an anemic roster like this being iced heading into April, it’s just pretty lousy. A total waste of a season.

Ehhh even this depleted roster has played solid games against competition closer to their level.

Expecting them to be competitive against a team like Washington right now is asking a lot.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It seems bleak right now, but this is extended tryout time for NJ. I’d still rather watch this group than a bunch of old broken down players on bloated deals like DET. NJ will bounce back next season and the franchise is moving in the right direction even if the evidence of that is scant right now.

Reactions: AveryQuietMan

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I hoped for years we'd get him and have the Parise/Zajac/Stafford all Sioux line, but we finally signed him like a decade too late.
He's almost the Shero version of some of the old washed up guys we had under Lou, back when we were saying ''That would have been a great 1st line 10 or 12 years ago!''.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
giphy.gif

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Ehhh even this depleted roster has played solid games against competition closer to their level.

Expecting them to be competitive against a team like Washington right now is asking a lot.

I mean don’t get me wrong, these guys are trying for the most part. Under the circumstances, you really can’t ask for anything more. It just sucks that they’re in this position in the first place, I guess. It’s not this game, just the cumulative effect of everything that has gone wrong this season.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I feel like this one wasn't that bad. I'm surprised the Capitals only had like 20 or 22 shots. I feel like the game was closely played, we just can't score, Blackwood allowed a couple he should have had and they scored a couple other opportunistic goals.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I mean don’t get me wrong, these guys are trying. Under the circumstances, you really can’t ask for anything more. It just sucks that they’re in this position in the first place, I guess. It’s not this game, just the cumulative effect of everything that has gone wrong this season.

It is kind of crazy the extremes of the last two seasons. Last year it seemed like just about everything went right, and this year it seems like just about everything has gone wrong.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
But still we played harder in Canada last week. We didn’t try to hit them tonight at all. We had no talent on ice but also mailed it in.

I’m not sure I agree. They got meh goaltending tonight and lost Palms early on. Players with subpar talent have to really dig deep to summon a big effort against better teams and without a belief they could win the game it’s hard to say they just mailed it in as opposed to had nothing to invest emotionally.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This really sucks. I mean this season has been in the ****ter as far back as Halloween, but seeing an anemic roster like this being iced heading into April, it’s just pretty lousy. A total waste of a season.
Games like the last few weeks have been more torturous than watching Kinkaid (and pre-February Schneider) allow 90 soft goals. At least you knew (at least I did) that the team wasn't bad, but was being killed by street league goaltending.

Now, the team is depleted and mostly AHL guys and ironically, goaltending has been the only real strong spot of the last month or so in garbage time. Although, I don't think it was in this game.

Camille the Eel

I’m not sure I agree. They got meh goaltending tonight and lost Palms early on. Players with subpar talent have to really dig deep to summon a big effort against better teams and without a belief they could win the game it’s hard to say they just mailed it in as opposed to had nothing to invest emotionally.
Fair enough but it also felt like one of those classic low energy games even good teams have when coming off a 4 game western road trip. Probably both things.

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad