Confirmed with Link: Duclair/J. Moore/1st (2016)/2nd (2015) for Yandle (50% Retained), Summers/4th- Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
And if he was the only one we ever got from that trade it would still be a great trade.

Absolutely. Brassard is a better player than Gaborik right now, in my opinion, when you factor in health.

Boy, am I eating crow about that trade. I was on the "we're replacing one fourth of our roster with players from Columbus?!?!?!" train. Brass has proven me so wrong, and I love it.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
And, I'm not convinced it was steep price. Kreider, Zucc, Hagelin and Miller on the wings in the top 8, along with Fast who can develop into a 3rd liner. You have the prospect of Buchnevich coming over this summer. The core of the forwards are still young.

I think that was huge factor in this deal going down.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Is there even an established going rate for players like Yandle? I can't remember when an offensive defenseman as good him, in his prime, was last traded. Technically, there's Shattenkirk, but he wasn't nearly as established as Yandle is at this point.

I'm just trying to equate it to when star players get moved. The most recent comparable I could think of is Jordan Staal, The cost was a quality roster player, (Bradon Sutter), and quality prospect, (Brian Dumoulin) and a #1 pick, (8th overall). I'd say the Canes paid more for Jordan Staal than the Rangers did for Keith Yandle.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Is there even an established going rate for players like Yandle? I can't remember when an offensive defenseman as good him, in his prime, was last traded. Technically, there's Shattenkirk, but he wasn't nearly as established as Yandle is at this point.

Brent Burns, maybe. Coyle 1st and Setoguchi.

Somewhat similar package.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
I'm fascinated there are articles out there with analysts saying we're real losers in the trade and our overall trade deadline was mediocre to bad.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
The way I see it.

Yandle>Stralman
Boyle>Moore

Both those players on the left are better offensively.. I'd argue Stralman is better defensively than Yandle by a good amount. I kind of would have rather had a stay at home shut down guy added as opposed to an elite PMD considering we're a top 5 offense in the league, but who knows.. maybe Yandle surprises with his defensive play. We sure have been giving up a ton of goals lately

Crazed Beaver

Jul 3, 2012
Swamp
Sorry to single you out, TB, but, no they didn't pay a steep price for one of the premier PMDs in the league. They paid the going rate. A player of Yandle's stature is normally going to cost 1) a quality roster player (Moore), 2) a quality prospect, (Duclair), and 3) a #1 pick. The 2nd rounder is the price for getting AZ to retain half his hit. If anything, the Rangers slightly underpaid for Yandle because John Moore is the roster player going back, not a more valuable forward like Hagelin or Miller. Some people are really underestimating what Yandle adds to this team.

I cannot reiterate this enough...only one d-man in the league currently has more assists than Yandle - Kris Letang, who gets to run a PP with two of the five best players currently in the league. Yandle is doing this on one of the worst offensive teams in the league.

There aren't to many -32 either to be fair.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
+/- does stink but -32 means SOMETHING.

I think a lot of risks with this deal are really being glossed over due to hype and optimism. I hope it works out, and it 1000% makes the Rangers a better team this season so it is hard to be anything but excited.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

I think a lot of risks with this deal are really being glossed over due to hype and optimism. I hope it works out, and it 1000% makes the Rangers a better team this season so it is hard to be anything but excited.

OEL is a -19. ARI is really ****ing bad. The only ranger who is a minus is Glass. I don't think we have to worry about that one bit.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Yandle is not a fighter. He can if he has to but you can't score from the penalty box. He is not "physical" in the classic sense of the word but he holds his own. He's about where the league is these days.

Whomever described John Moore as "physical" is kidding, right? I just called into a Phoenix radio station that described Moore as a "hard rock" defenseman and corrected them. Amazing what a couple of random suspensions can do for your reputation.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York

if mike smith even had a respectable .910 save percentage this year which would still be amongst the worst for NHL starters, arizona would have given up 22 less goals on the year. smith saves .915 percent of shots and they give up 30 less goals. arizonas top ice time leaders would have much better +/- if their goalie wasnt pathetic this season.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

If both Yandle and OEL have those +/- numbers, it has to be something else. It's not their play, but the fact they played on a **** team. Vermette was their no 1 center!

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Anyone else think that an ancillary effect of acquiring Yandle might be an uptick in defense-wide scoring? Good players thrive from playing with other good players, both on the ice at the same time, or even on the same team. I can certainly see McD and Boyle picking up their offensive games by playing with him.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
if mike smith even had a respectable .910 save percentage this year which would still be amongst the worst for NHL starters, arizona would have given up 22 less goals on the year. smith saves .915 percent of shots and they give up 30 less goals. arizonas top ice time leaders would have much better +/- if their goalie wasnt pathetic this season.

This is convincing. Could make the argument the D giving up bad chances is driving his save % down but his numbers are impressively bad.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

It does mean something. It means that Yotes are terrible. I mean OEL is -19 and how many D-men are there out there you'd take over OEL?

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
He's probably not the greatest in his own end. His plus minus is certainly inflated because he plays on a bad team but it's still bad for a reason.

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
I'm watching the Sather press thing and I hate not being able to hear the questions asked.

Real Four

Be a Ranger
Sep 27, 2010
NY
watched sportsnet trade deadline coverage earlier today on my hockeystreams, healy mentioned there are concerns about duclair's conditioning and mentality as support for the trade

is there anything else out there supporting this?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
He's probably not the greatest in his own end. His plus minus is certainly inflated because he plays on a bad team but it's still bad for a reason.

Oh yeah I'm not saying he's good defensively or anything like that. He isn't as bad as people make him out to be. Put him with Staal or Klein and he'll be just fine. Not good but certainly not bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA