Confirmed with Link: Duclair/J. Moore/1st (2016)/2nd (2015) for Yandle (50% Retained), Summers/4th- Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Before the weekend's housecleaning, the Coyotes had 10-11 NHL calibre players. Now, that number is closer to 7-8. The awful +/- of their key players is a reflection of poor team play and lousy goaltending. Yandle, OEL and many others have poor stats this year. Interesting fact, last year Yandle was on the ice for 12 ENGs which adversely affected his +/-. The Coyotes will have $ to spend in the free agent and trade dump market this summer but if they solely rely on young players this is going to be a very long painful rebuild.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Before the weekend's housecleaning, the Coyotes had 10-11 NHL calibre players. Now, that number is closer to 7-8. The awful +/- of their key players is a reflection of poor team play and lousy goaltending. Yandle, OEL and many others have poor stats this year. Interesting fact, last year Yandle was on the ice for 12 ENGs which adversely affected his +/-. The Coyotes will have $ to spend in the free agent and trade dump market this summer but if they solely rely on young players this is going to be a very long painful rebuild.

Oog. The Edmonton model. For your sake, Bob, I hope they get more capable vets than Doan to lead the kids as they come up.

OEL is a pleasure to watch either way - I just hope he doesn't need a get out of jail free trade like Yandle just got in five years' time...

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Oh boy... He will be missed in Arizona. Trust me when I say that. You guys got a hell of a player. Awesome guy on an off the ice. Bleed his teams colors.

Fun fact: during the lockout, Keith Yandle didn't play for another team because he said anything but a coyotes jersey didn't feel right..

Enjoy

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
The Rangers have been good at identifying overrated prospects and only dumping them while keeping those with a good future. Sanguinetti, Thomas, Erixon, Kundratek, DuPont, Grachev, Horak, Werek were our traded away prospects in the recent years and none turned into anything decent.

It isn't impossible that they recognized a flaw in Duclair that we are not aware of having not viewed him in practice or in Quebec.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
The only way Maloney and the Yotes would eat the money to make the deal work was if the Rangers included the Duke. Maloney had his buddy over a barrel and he stood tough.
Duke isn't flawed he is NHL ready but money mattered

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
The only way Maloney and the Yotes would eat the money to make the deal work was if the Rangers included the Duke. Maloney had his buddy over a barrel and he stood tough.

That too is the case. You have to give to get. Would we give away McDonagh for nothing? Doubtful. Neither did the Yotes give up Yandel for nothing.

I'll take a 50-60 point defenseman (he may get more than 60 points on a good offensive team) for a kid that we were just *hoping* would score 50-60 points... and Yandel is doing it as a defenseman while Duke *possibly* will be doing it as a forward.

NYRcupboundyessir*

Couple interesting stats further supporting that this was a great trade....not that it's need but hey

McDonagh, Girardi, Klein, & Staal
career points on the Power play: 91

Yandle: 143.

Then, Rick Nash with the Columbus: 674 career games and a -71

Keith Yandle with Arizona: 558 games and a -34

Nash is a +50 & has become an elite defensive forward since coming to the Rangers, in addition to his scoring prowess. The hope is Yandle can improve his defensive game too while remaining elite offensively. Which likely to happen. Rangers are just too good. Team is stacked now. Just need to stay healthy & get Hank back. As far I'm concerned, it's the Hawks & the Rangers, followed by everyone else. Ducks, Blues, Habs, Pens, Preds, Isles are the 2nd tier. Kings & Wings, receive an honorable mention. I'm a firm believer that the Hawks are the favorite out West until they've been defeated. Then...there isn't a more playoff tested team in the east, than NYR. Best team on paper to boot. LGR

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

He didn't look NHL ready when he was playing in the NHL. He looked close but not quite there.

Seems like the pendulum is swinging very far to either side with regards to Duke depending on if posters liked or didn't like the trade.

He's still a great prospect and he still has elite level skills in certain areas, but he's still not a sure thing in terms of becoming an NHL impact forward, and he still has his flaws.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Duclair has nhl speed and shot...but he's weak on the boards and prone to some very lazy play. Can board play be taught? Can he learn to compete every shift?

The skill set is most definitely there though.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Duclair has nhl speed and shot...but he's weak on the boards and prone to some very lazy play. Can board play be taught? Can he learn to compete every shift?

Reminds me of what people said about Kreider...

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Kreider was never weak on the boards, nor did he lack for energy.

Positioning and general NHL IQ (which comes with experience and learning) were his obvious flaws.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

As most 19 year olds are vs NHL players.....

And yes, he can learn to compete more than he does. Those can be imporved over time. Skill set can not and he has that.

Claxton

Sep 30, 2007
John Moore and his +7 will be sorely missed. Yandle at a league worst -33 is appalling and will only hurt the Rangers.

How does he put up such poor +/- numbers as an offensive d-man on the second worst team in the league, that has 26 of his 41 points on the pp, while logging almost 24 minutes a game and frequently going against the opposition's best players?

Who cares that 38 out of the bottom 40 players in +/- are on the 6 worst teams in the league. It is definitely not a team stat.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013

I thought the extra 2nd was due to the retained salary, not Duke being involved as a whole.

My understanding is the only reason the trade happened at all was because of Duke, and Sather's offering Duke got the ball rolling. If Sather didn't offer Duke, I don't think the trade ever happens. It seems like the 50% retained was extra value, though totally inconsequential for the Coyotes becuase they aren't going to be worrying about cap space next year, and the 2nd was given to balance it out a bit. For them, it's essentially a free 2nd round pick, but for us, that $2.6 is HUGE.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Not that Duclair isn't a good prospect, but here's a list of scouts The Hockey News employs:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I thought the extra 2nd was due to the retained salary, not Duke being involved as a whole.

My understanding is the only reason the trade happened at all was because of Duke, and Sather's offering Duke got the ball rolling. If Sather didn't offer Duke, I don't think the trade ever happens. It seems like the 50% retained was extra value, though totally inconsequential for the Coyotes becuase they aren't going to be worrying about cap space next year, and the 2nd was given to balance it out a bit. For them, it's essentially a free 2nd round pick, but for us, that $2.6 is HUGE.

Correct. The only reason the deal happened at all is that the Rangers included Duke. Maloney has said on the record that the talks were going nowhere until the Rangers called back last week and said they were willing to include Duke in the deal. His value was all about getting Yandle in the first place and had nothing to do with the salary retention.

In fact, it's not clear how much of the Rangers' value at all went towards obtaining the cap relief; several NHL writers have pointed out that retaining salary actually helps AZ as well, since they would otherwise struggle to get to the cap floor.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Not that Duclair isn't a good prospect, but here's a list of scouts The Hockey News employs:

1. THN's list is only marginally superior to listing random names.

2. Our prospect polls have been massively more accurate than the THN every single year.

3. Why are people surprised that we had to give up something decent for a 2 time All Star in his prime?

Last edited:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Are we really arguing about the +/- stat?

Has anyone WATCHED Arizona? They are god awful offensively

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
1. THN's list is only marginally superior to listing random names.

2. Our prospect polls have been massively more accurate than the THN every single year.

3. Why are people surprised that we had to give up something decent for a 2 time All Star in his prime?

I have absolutely no idea. There's a good chance Yandle will outscore Duke next year and maybe even the following year...as a d-man.

Duke would have provided a nice cheap NHL forward probably next year. If someone else can do that instead, problem solved. Chances are his real peak comes when he's making decent money and NYR's current window has closed.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
John Moore and his +7 will be sorely missed. Yandle at a league worst -33 is appalling and will only hurt the Rangers.

How does he put up such poor +/- numbers as an offensive d-man on the second worst team in the league, that has 26 of his 41 points on the pp, while logging almost 24 minutes a game and frequently going against the opposition's best players?

Who cares that 38 out of the bottom 40 players in +/- are on the 6 worst teams in the league. It is definitely not a team stat.

This entire sentence is baffling. +/- aside, do you really not think Yandle will help the Rangers moving forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA