GDT: Ducks vs Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I’d tend to agree. At the end of the day, this is still a very young core, with young players still developing and learning to win/manage expectations with a big window ahead of them. Some adversity isn’t bad in the long run I think.

What’s so frustrating to me about last time is that the 1st was as good of a period as they’ve played all year. They had their game and for some reason they just crumbled after that.

If Jack is any indication of how the rest of the team was feeling it seemed like they expected to roll over them (would be weird to think that when they lost to the Jackets and Sharks in the past month) and lost it when they didn’t

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
What’s so frustrating to me about last time is that the 1st was as good of a period as they’ve played all year. They had their game and for some reason they just crumbled after that.

Unfortunately, I think they got undisciplined and frustrated over not getting calls they thought they should have. It shows this team still has some maturing to do. You have to continue playing the game. No one enjoys the game management that officiating tends to do, but you can't let it sink into your play or you'll end up distracted.

I think if they bury one or two of the chances in the first, it's a different game and we probably win. But ifs and buts were candies and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
This morning I thought, ”huh, this season is going more like what I thought last season would be like”.

This not only has this reframed my thinking but I’m also less constipated.
Last year was weird because we were firing on all cylinders but we also knew we were going to lose multiple dmen with our top prospects ready to go the next year. The young guys have blown the doors off so far this year, but it is unusual for “year 2” of the window to have 3 dmen with a combined 130 something games.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
The morale of the fanbase should not be something that enters the mind of the team considering it changes on a whim from shift to shift like the f***ing wind.

Games like these are annoying, but they aren't that big a deal when isolated around a bunch of wins.

The morale comment was more disappointment from the piling up of losses at home. Should they worry about fans, no, but they should want to make home a place where they have a better record.

As long as we can still rattle a couple wins after this again. But I really didn't like their composure and a win last night would have really helped alleviate some pressure for the next set of games.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
What needs to change? Curious to read what you think the solution is or if it will happen organically over time as the young guys keep on progressing.
Fitz should stop acquiring forwards that do not play ES D. Makes it tough to win low scoring games

1702912588171.png

Reactions: Saint Beaurivage

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Fitz talked up Foote is he hurt?

Bring up Clarke something and allow Meier to heal or get his head right .....

palek1019

Oct 7, 2017
Wasn't able to watch this one ... thankfully. How many more back-to-back games are there left? Lol. Team seems to really struggle on those so far this season.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Fitz should stop acquiring forwards that do not play ES D. Makes it tough to win low scoring games

View attachment 785672
I don’t understand why so many people only talk about the d-men when it comes to DZ play, as if there aren’t three other skaters out there impacting what happens. Let’s not forget that in this goofy system, they are the ones responsible for reading the play and covering the most dangerous area of the ice when the d-men go fishing for the puck behind the net/in the corners. They are also the ones blowing the zone way too quickly with no regard for the situation with the puck.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I don’t understand why so many people only talk about the d-men when it comes to DZ play, as if there aren’t three other skaters out there impacting what happens. Let’s not forget that in this goofy system, they are the ones responsible for reading the play and covering the most dangerous area of the ice when the d-men go fishing for the puck behind the net/in the corners. They are also the ones blowing the zone way too quickly with no regard for the situation with the puck.
I think we focus on the defenseman because it’s not surprising that the forwards are poor at covering the slot and for making the reads necessary to determine where they should be.

The system appears full of fairly unique reads so I’m not surprised when they get screwed up by the forwards. The forwards would have less to screw up if the defenseman got to play a more traditional down low style.

Additionally, even when covering down low the forwards kind of stink at it, not a total surprise since that’s not a skillset a forward uses very often but the Devils ask them to use frequently.

So I think the forwards get a bit of a pass on the down low coverage because the reads are hard and the Devils are putting round pegs into square holes by asking them to be as good as defenseman covering that area.

Forward blowing the zone early is a feature, not a bug, so I agree it’s bad but it’s also what I believe the system asks them to do so I can’t fault them there.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY

View attachment 785672
Any GA/60 number is gonna be inflated by terrible goaltending, which the team has had for much of the year. I'm not saying the forwards can't be doing more, or whatever, but if you want to make the argument I recommend trying to use any of the measures that attempt to be more goalie independent.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Any GA/60 number is gonna be inflated by terrible goaltending, which the team has had for much of the year. I'm not saying the forwards can't be doing more, or whatever, but if you want to make the argument I recommend trying to use any of the measures that attempt to be more goalie independent.
No doubt, but Fitz 2 big acquisitions are "leading" the pack. It was also a comment on posters just talking about the F's offensive games while acting they are not part of the problem defensively.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
No doubt, but Fitz 2 big acquisitions are "leading" the pack. It was also a comment on posters just talking about the F's offensive games while acting they are not part of the problem defensively.
Toffoli is getting hammered with an .876 SV% when he’s on the ice. Lots of luck involved in that number. Timo has just been ass.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
it’s not necessarily luck if he’s not covering his man and they’re getting easy wide open shots in front that are harder to stop, which is backed up by the eye test
He's had roughly the same amount of xGA/60 as Nico. Yeah, maybe every single one of those shots is uncovered, and our boy Nico is a sexy god who never lets that happen, and that .8 GA/60 extra is deserved, or maybe it's just noise and he's been particularly unlucky.

ultimately only one forward on this team has xGA numbers that I would call bad, and that's Timo, who is so painfully obviously hurt that I'm not sure it's worth discussing.

(side note: Timo, despite the injury, is still generating his own scoring opportunities at a fairly impressive rate, second only to Nico. He's just shooting like 3%. I agree he hasn't been very good, but man if his on ice shooting percentage wasn't 40% below team average, I think about 1/10th the people around here would be talking about it)

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
On an unrelated note, I think the Devils contract with MSG is up after this season. Has there been any information about their broadcast rights moving forward? Would love for them to get away from MSG as soon as possible.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The last 2 periods (definitely the last period) was the flattest this team has looked since the 1st period and most of the 2nd period during the home Blue Jackets game last month. It was also up there with a lot the Detroit one in the game before that.

1st period was good, but everything else was horrible.

We've had some bad periods, like turtle fest in the 3rd period in Seattle, but this was extremely flat and awful.

This team seems to play down to the cream of the crap loser suck teams and better against the good teams.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
On an unrelated note, I think the Devils contract with MSG is up after this season. Has there been any information about their broadcast rights moving forward? Would love for them to get away from MSG as soon as possible.
Sorry for hijacking your post for a second, but I’d love an update on your thoughts on the team. A few weeks ago everything was fine, how are you feeling right now? I’m pretty neutral but always try to take other opinions into account.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It won’t be a good thing when they’re on the outs because they consistently drop games to botton feeders

Timo was MIA before getting injured too besides like 2 games.
Fair, although he did have like 4 goals in his last 6 games before the injury, so at least there was some production there. He hasn't had a point since coming back.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Sorry for hijacking your post for a second, but I’d love an update on your thoughts on the team. A few weeks ago everything was fine, how are you feeling right now? I’m pretty neutral but always try to take other opinions into account.
I'm in the same position I was a few weeks back when a lot of people were in panic mode. Still confident that they'll make the playoffs, but there's going to be some rough games thrown in. Especially now with Dougie out and the defense being as inexperienced as they are.

I think this team will finish 2nd or 3rd in the metro based on talent alone, but I'm skeptical of how the defense will perform come April. They can add to the backend at the deadline and sit one of Nemec/Hughes (likely Nemec) or they can roll with what they have and just accept that growing pains will be part of it. I have my doubts about them making a deep postseason run with this current defense minus Dougie though.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
If dougie isn't good to go for the playoffs, they need another body, just to stabilize/provide some depth if Bahl sucks or Miller sucks or anybody gets hurt. Smith isn't enough.

If Dougie IS good to go, I'd still prefer to have an insurance policy or just a Bahl upgrade, tbh.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm in the same position I was a few weeks back when a lot of people were in panic mode. Still confident that they'll make the playoffs, but there's going to be some rough games thrown in. Especially now with Dougie out and the defense being as inexperienced as they are.

I think this team will finish 2nd or 3rd in the metro based on talent alone, but I'm skeptical of how the defense will perform come April. They can add to the backend at the deadline and sit one of Nemec/Hughes (likely Nemec) or they can roll with what they have and just accept that growing pains will be part of it. I have my doubts about them making a deep postseason run with this current defense minus Dougie though.
I'm kind of souring on Bahl at this point. I think I'd sit him over Hughes/Nemec.

I think his stock is dropping a bit this year.

He's still good for cheap depth, but I'm skeptical he's a long term player here. I always have been skeptical of him being a long term player here, but he's also been better than I ever thought he'd be.

I'd keep him around as long as he's cheap, but he's not much of a priority to me long term, if we need to make upgrades and have cap wiggle room. He's a nice piece for his current salary, but I think he's also in over his head right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino