GDT: Ducks vs Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Another thing is... If the team was so gassed on a back to back if that is what that shit 3rd period was, why don't they rotate in some guys before the f***ing game starts.

Smith could come in 4th line and you bump up Lazar or McLeod. Sit out bastian or someone (Sieges), get some fresh legs.

D was atrocious on those goals against.

Meier taking up a spot and doing nothing is detrimental. If he is injured (seems so obvious) sit him out and put in a guy who can at least impact the game positively. Call up Willman or something. Tierney is useless but he still had fresh legs

Losing this way at home to bottom feeders is freaking terrible look and terrible for morale (at least with the fanbase).

If they think they can claw out of this season the way things are going, they should reconsider strongly.

The morale of the fanbase should not be something that enters the mind of the team considering it changes on a whim from shift to shift like the f***ing wind.

Games like these are annoying, but they aren't that big a deal when isolated around a bunch of wins.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Now we have the second toughest remaining strength of schedule. It must get worse after this month, cause there’s plenty of winnable games to round out the month.

But we’ve literally went no better than 500 against some of the softest on the strength of schedule so far and considerably under 500 against those teams at home.

Maybe it’s for the best that we won’t be seeing someone like Chicago, San Jose, Anaheim, Ottawa, Montreal, Columbus in our next week’s worth of home games.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Now we have the second toughest remaining strength of schedule. It must get worse after this month, cause there’s plenty of winnable games to round out the month.

But we’ve literally went no better than 500 against some of the softest on the strength of schedule so far and considerably under 500 against those teams at home.

Maybe it’s for the best that we won’t be seeing someone like Chicago, San Jose, Anaheim, Ottawa, Montreal, Columbus in our next week’s worth of home games.

No reason they can't go 6-2 over the next 8 games which is more then fine.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Meh, this team plays to their competition. This might be a good thing for us.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I don't mind Ruff. I don't like the D-zone scheme and the line juggling, but I don't think he's as bad as it's being discussed at times here.

Last edited:

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Has to watch off dvir.....Still positive as they have won more in this stretch....That said what a s**t performance tonight.....Worse was Hughes getting pushed around and no response from anyone on the team sad.....Still don't get the back to backs when Jackets could have been Friday....First period Gibson made saves but just as much they missed the net.....They left Akira how many times with only a Duck player in front of the net got to wonder when coaches will fix....Devils hopefully stay away fro Gibson as he looked like he got hurt in 2nd his side yo side movement looked bad they missed the net or it was goals..Hopefully we recoup for Flyers

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

I don't mind Ruff. I don't like the D-zone scheme at times and the line juggling, but I don't think he's as bad as it's being discussed at times here.
Honestly, we'd find something not to like about pretty much any coach. There are very few truly elite coaches in this league. The majority are fine, each with their own idiosyncracies that annoy fans. I don't think Ruff is probably the guy to take them all the way, but I also don't think he's holding the team back from greatness either.

At the end of the day you need your best players to be your best players. Timo has been MIA since getting injured and Jack let the Ducks get under his skin in this one and get him off his game, which I think affected the rest of the team. When Jack, Bratt, and Toffoli are all taking stupid penalties you know they're not on their game. They showed some immaturity and hopefully they all realize it and come back more focused against the Flyers. Beat them on Tuesday and the usual doomsayers will be quiet for a bit again.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Aside from our lack of discipline after after we didn’t get a call or two that we should have, my biggest frustration was with the line shuffling in the 3rd. Thought it was unnecessary after getting a goal towards the end of the second. I know that was the one line that didn’t get juggled, but we should have had more momentum entering the 3rd than we did.

Aside from it being an annoying loss, move on to Tuesday immediately. If we finish one of those chances in the first, probably a different game.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I'm not sure why people can't see that Timo is gimped right now.

He was scoring at a good clip before he went down with whatever injury he had.

Since he came back he has looked extremely off and isn't playing his game (I haven't seen him throw a hit since before his injury)

I have no idea why they are letting him try to play through it other then his injury might require surgery and he doesn't want to be shut down for the bulk of the season.

People would rather just chalk it up to him not being that good instead. An easier and more convenient excuse.

Sadly, as was mentioned in another post, Timo at less than 100% is still an upgrade over the next man up. We know that this sport inherently has guys try and tough out their injuries until it’s no longer possible.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
People would rather just chalk it up to him not being that good instead. An easier and more convenient excuse.

Sadly, as was mentioned in another post, Timo at less than 100% is still an upgrade over the next man up. We know that this sport inherently has guys try and tough out their injuries until it’s no longer possible.

I do not think Timo is better than the next man up at this point. I'd sit Timo and bring up Clarke. I do wish they had an LW who could fill in, though.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Aside from our lack of discipline after after we didn’t get a call or two that we should have, my biggest frustration was with the line shuffling in the 3rd. Thought it was unnecessary after getting a goal towards the end of the second. I know that was the one line that didn’t get juggled, but we should have had more momentum entering the 3rd than we did.

Aside from it being an annoying loss, move on to Tuesday immediately. If we finish one of those chances in the first, probably a different game.
Yea they probably win if they score one or two first. They have won every single game other than the Colorado game when they score first.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I do not think Timo is better than the next man up at this point. I'd sit Timo and bring up Clarke. I do wish they had an LW who could fill in, though.

It’s fair to believe that. I’m thinking solely of the spare forwards currently on the roster like Tierney or Smith, forward version.

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017

Every single game is winnable but, they are all also "loseable".

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Meh, this team plays to their competition. This might be a good thing for us.

It won’t be a good thing when they’re on the outs because they consistently drop games to botton feeders

Honestly, we'd find something not to like about pretty much any coach. There are very few truly elite coaches in this league. The majority are fine, each with their own idiosyncracies that annoy fans. I don't think Ruff is probably the guy to take them all the way, but I also don't think he's holding the team back from greatness either.

At the end of the day you need your best players to be your best players. Timo has been MIA since getting injured and Jack let the Ducks get under his skin in this one and get him off his game, which I think affected the rest of the team. When Jack, Bratt, and Toffoli are all taking stupid penalties you know they're not on their game. They showed some immaturity and hopefully they all realize it and come back more focused against the Flyers. Beat them on Tuesday and the usual doomsayers will be quiet for a bit again.

Timo was MIA before getting injured too besides like 2 games.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

They’re a bubble team through and through

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Maybe it's just me, but I put very little stock into the standings and who is considered soft vs. who isn't on the schedule. I recognize any team can beat anyone on any given night. It wasn't that long ago the Sharks were penciled in as an auto-win and now they're scoring vs. almost everybody all of a sudden.

The team should be doing the same and not looking past an opponent, but it always makes me laugh that fans think we should beat everyone beneath us but get upset when the players potentially think the same and it ends up being a reason we lose. :laugh:. I get it, they're the professional athletes so they shouldn't be taking anyone lightly but it's amusing to me that some fans look at it that way, too.

We're in the thick of the playoff race in mid-December. Pretty much what many of us expected. Sure, there's been lots of up-and-down play over the whole season from most of the team, but winning 8 of 11 is a positive stretch of hockey. Overall, the play has been better. Last night was not one of those nights, but it doesn't shade the rest of this stretch.

I expect a real competitive game tomorrow after the way the last game went in Philly. I'll be there, and I'm looking forward to it.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
What needs to change? Curious to read what you think the solution is or if it will happen organically over time as the young guys keep on progressing.
It’s really not that big of a deal to be a “bubble team” with two teenagers playing major roles on defense and shit goaltending. It also doesn’t really matter at all if you’re a “bubble team” or dominated all year once the second season begins. Just have to find our way in.

I’m fine with this thing going to the last game of the year. I’ll end up with a few more gray hairs, but it should be entertaining.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It’s really not that big of a deal to be a “bubble team” with two teenagers playing major roles on defense and shit goaltending. It also doesn’t really matter at all if you’re a “bubble team” or dominated all year once the second season begins. Just have to find our way in.

I’m fine with this thing going to the last game of the year. I’ll end up with a few more gray hairs, but it should be entertaining.

It's the more normal way it plays out for the majority of the league. I think some of us got spoiled with how last year went along with the offseason/preseason even raising expectations even higher.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
What needs to change? Curious to read what you think the solution is or if it will happen organically over time as the young guys keep on progressing.

I mean a coaching change could probably spark things even if he’s not necessarily a better coach. There’s generally a new coach spark that happens where teams get hot after a change. Ultimately I’d rather wait out the season. I think the bottom line for what needs to change is that they just simply need to play better. The personnel on paper is great and it’s not like Lindy is so bad they can’t all make it work.

The only real issue with the personnel (on paper) is that Bahl is not a top 4 D and nowhere near as good as Graves was with Marino. Even then they still would be fine if the other guys were playing up to snuff. Marino and Siegs aren’t good enough this year. Maybe a guy like Tanev could help them by taking a heavy load off of them and also would hopefully save the god awful f***ing PK. The team isn’t really good enough currently for me to feel confident sinking good assets into a rental though so I’d only do it for a pretty cheap price.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Maybe it was too easy last night. When the “beautiful game” isn’t clicking you need a work ethic and a plan B. We like to play fast break so much that, if that isn’t there, we have no other plan. Getting to the front of the net, tipping pucks and hunting rebounds needs to be a bigger part of our game.
Basically you want the team back that was here prior to last years trade deadline.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010

I’d tend to agree. At the end of the day, this is still a very young core, with young players still developing and learning to win/manage expectations with a big window ahead of them. Some adversity isn’t bad in the long run I think.

Maybe it's just me, but I put very little stock into the standings and who is considered soft vs. who isn't on the schedule. I recognize any team can beat anyone on any given night. It wasn't that long ago the Sharks were penciled in as an auto-win and now they're scoring vs. almost everybody all of a sudden.

The team should be doing the same and not looking past an opponent, but it always makes me laugh that fans think we should beat everyone beneath us but get upset when the players potentially think the same and it ends up being a reason we lose. :laugh:. I get it, they're the professional athletes so they shouldn't be taking anyone lightly but it's amusing to me that some fans look at it that way, too.

We're in the thick of the playoff race in mid-December. Pretty much what many of us expected. Sure, there's been lots of up-and-down play over the whole season from most of the team, but winning 8 of 11 is a positive stretch of hockey. Overall, the play has been better. Last night was not one of those nights, but it doesn't shade the rest of this stretch.

I expect a real competitive game tomorrow after the way the last game went in Philly. I'll be there, and I'm looking forward to it.
What’s so frustrating to me about last night is that the 1st was as good of a period as they’ve played all year. They had their game and for some reason they just crumbled after that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Louskoolaid89
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: