Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Carter Rowney (3 years, 3.4m total)

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Now with the Penguins signing Grant for 1 year at 650,000 makes me hate hate this deal even more then I already did. Nothing about this deal is good. All bad.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Dumpster shit move. I was PISSED when I saw this - maybe even posted here lol. Not shackling the team to a 3-year deal and signing Grant for 650K? Yeah, I take that every time.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Seems likely grant overpriced himself and now has to sign another prove me deal.

Tough to think he has another offensive season like this year, but hopefully for him he does.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
So weird, I thought for sure it was something to do with Grant holding out for more money/term. I guess he just wasn't the right fit for Carlyle's exciting new speed game.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Pffffft. Nearly twice the cost for three years. Yeah, they definitely accidentally mistook Rowney for someone else.

At least it’s not Jeff Finger.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Given the other centers that Pittsburg has I expect Grant will start in the AHL. The Penguins have already signed Cullen as their number 4 center, so unless Grant can outplay Cullen there is no reason for the team to keep Grant at the NHL level. I suppose that they could keep him as a 14th forward and play him to rest Cullen, but it is more likely that this is an insurance, depth signing.

This also shows for players that timing is everything. Once free agency started and the Ducks went in a different direction there was no room for Grant. After signing Rowney, Gibbons and Street, all of whom can play center, to one way contracts early in free agency, the Ducks simply had no need for Grant.

Obviously something happened between the Ducks and Grant that strained the relationship. That happens for many reasons and without knowing anything it is impossible to blame one party or the other. In the end I believe that it worked to the detriment of both the Ducks and Grant, but we shall see with the coming season.

Reactions: Masch78

teemussalami1

Mar 16, 2017
Given the other centers that Pittsburg has I expect Grant will start in the AHL. The Penguins have already signed Cullen as their number 4 center, so unless Grant can outplay Cullen there is no reason for the team to keep Grant at the NHL level. I suppose that they could keep him as a 14th forward and play him to rest Cullen, but it is more likely that this is an insurance, depth signing.

This also shows for players that timing is everything. Once free agency started and the Ducks went in a different direction there was no room for Grant. After signing Rowney, Gibbons and Street, all of whom can play center, to one way contracts early in free agency, the Ducks simply had no need for Grant.

Obviously something happened between the Ducks and Grant that strained the relationship. That happens for many reasons and without knowing anything it is impossible to blame one party or the other. In the end I believe that it worked to the detriment of both the Ducks and Grant, but we shall see with the coming season.

It was a good depth signing for the Penguins. I agree he'll most likely start in the AHL but will be a good 5th centerman to keep around in case of injury.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
9 sites of riot and hate against BM because of a 4th line depth player. Both, Grant and Rowney are not more. You take this way to serious. Grant had one good season in the AHL and one good season for his standards last year where he was used in a role with players he will not see here this season nor in Pitttsburgh. Before he had 3 assists in 40 games in Buffalo. Both are pretty exchangeable. There is a reason Grant was signed for 1y at 650k after some time in free agency.

I can guarantee you, a GM does not sign players like that without consulting pro scouts. They see something in Rowney they want to address.

I will judge Rowney after a seasons here. I don't care what other fans say. Grant wasn't a different story, he was a non fitter everywhere else but somehow worked here in a certain role.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
It was a good depth signing for the Penguins. I agree he'll most likely start in the AHL but will be a good 5th centerman to keep around in case of injury.

For the 5th centerman we have enough options. Even if Steel or Kossila are in SD I'd prefer them over Grant being the injury callup.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
9 sites of riot and hate against BM because of a 4th line depth player. Both, Grant and Rowney are not more. You take this way to serious. Grant had one good season in the AHL and one good season for his standards last year where he was used in a role with players he will not see here this season nor in Pitttsburgh. Before he had 3 assists in 40 games in Buffalo. Both are pretty exchangeable. There is a reason Grant was signed for 1y at 650k after some time in free agency.

I can guarantee you, a GM does not sign players like that without consulting pro scouts. They see something in Rowney they want to address.

I will judge Rowney after a seasons here. I don't care what other fans say. Grant wasn't a different story, he was a non fitter everywhere else but somehow worked here in a certain role.

I admire your positivity but do you ever crticize anything Murray does?

This is a pretty meh exchange of 4th liners but anyone objective should see that Grant is a better player on 1/3 of the term at almost half the price of Rowney.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Sure, there are a lot of things I don't like what Bob does but first and foremost I'm not in "I hate Bob" modus. That is way to emotional imho for being a fan of a hockey club. The I try to keep it in relation what it is. Rowney is not a neck breaking contract on a maximum term. It is what it is. A 4th line signing. A signing I would not have done and all I said, I'll judge it after one season and not now. This can also turn out in our favour. And I try not to make Grant a player he simpley isn't. I don't know if Grant is better. They are quite similar, Grant only had a special situation last year. He would get Nate Thompson money instead somewhere. For a certain reaseon, no other team in the league valued his play higher than what he got now. No other team! If Grant is what some fans here predict he is, why the hell isnt he getting a better contract? The team signed Rowney for a certain reason and I'm not going mad because of this contract until I understand what the reason is and how they want to use him.

What I don't like what Bob does, on the top of my head?

- Sometimes way too many moves at the trading deadline
- Listening too often on coaches wishes - Wiz deal for instance
- Randy Carlyle resigning, while I'm not mad about it I thought there would be better options
- imho pro scouting isn't on the same level as amateur scouting in this franchise
- not locking up David Perron
- the structure of Perrys deal
- trading Palmeri, Noesen
- not taking the risk going for a young successful youth coach for our coaching staff
- still not 100% sold on Folwer at this contract while knowing this is market value

The thing with Bob is, looking at other teams, I think we have a good one and he still is doing a good job here. I simpley value that he created a very good staff group. Some parts are excellent, some are improveable. But overall he is doing great. This franchise in none of the big market ones and I try to value his work under his circumstances. If it doesn't matter playing a 4m per season player in the AHL life is way easier.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
If Grant had gotten the Rowney contract July 1st and probably would have been ok with it

I wonder why Grant did not get something better, if not from the Ducks then from other teams. Valuable bottom 6 players are important for everyone.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I admire your positivity but do you ever crticize anything Murray does?

This is a pretty meh exchange of 4th liners but anyone objective should see that Grant is a better player on 1/3 of the term at almost half the price of Rowney.
Objective in the sense that nobody here has seen rowney play, so grant is probably better? Ok.

Grant had a great season last year, and one also completely out of line with his career thusfar. Maybe he broke out, we will see.

But the more annoying part is people here seem to think that Murray and his guys thought to themselves, you know, we really think grant is the better player but let's get crazy and pay this other, inferior player more money. I mean, why not? Let's do it!

Is that really what people think? That's logical and objective?

Reactions: gilfaizon

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Objective in the sense that nobody here has seen rowney play, so grant is probably better? Ok.

Grant had a great season last year, and one also completely out of line with his career thusfar. Maybe he broke out, we will see.

But the more annoying part is people here seem to think that Murray and his guys thought to themselves, you know, we really think grant is the better player but let's get crazy and pay this other, inferior player more money. I mean, why not? Let's do it!

Is that really what people think? That's logical and objective?

I’ve seen Rowney play. He’s a better PKer but Grant is better 5 on 5 and can at least provide a half decent net front presence in the PP.

Oct 18, 2011

How did you feel when we signed Boll?

Reactions: AngelDuck

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
How did you feel when we signed Boll?

Did not care much about Boll, I just thought it was some kind of fighter Randy wants in his lineup and Bob signed one. I'm trying not to overreact on minor signings.

Most of the time we just don't know f certain trades/signings are some sort of coaches wishes or are based in Management alone.

Like said, if Grant is as advertised why did 30 other teams in the league not go after him? I'm pretty sure he was scouted enough.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010

Keep in mind, we signed Bieksa and gave him a NMC
Obviously Murray saw something, everyone else shook their heads.....:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad