Prospect Info: Ducks Prospect Info 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Out of curiosity, who do you all think will be a better NHL player: Lundestrom or Groulx?

It's fairly even but I think Groulx tops out as the better overall NHL player. It's not easy to decide since Lundestrom hasn't completely adapted to NA ice. He still tends to hang onto the puck longer than necessary in the offensive zone. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing if he winds up making a strong play, but he usually just feeds it back along the perimeter and doesn't penetrate the slot.

Would be cool if they wound up being 2/3rds of a new shutdown line in the future. Maybe throw them with Jones for some physicality and speed.

Reactions: duxfan1101

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Call me pessimistic (and I'd be thrilled if I was proven wrong), but I have my doubts about Groulx making the Ducks full-time, so I'd say Lundestrom.

I thought Groulx looked great in his first training camp. There's something to be said for getting extended looks each time as well. Also, 29 points in 42 games in his first season as a pro with the Gulls is nothing to sneeze at. I would be shocked if he didn't get a look with the Ducks at some point next season, especially if they somehow offload Henrique and if Steel goes to Seattle.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Call me pessimistic (and I'd be thrilled if I was proven wrong), but I have my doubts about Groulx making the Ducks full-time, so I'd say Lundestrom.

I feel like BO is a fairly safe bet to have an NHL career, with his IQ, character and decent talent, it seems like his floor is less in question than most prospects. Should be a quality depth piece at worst.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
I think Groulx and Lundy have the potential to be the kind of depth guys that are worth more than their place in the line up would imply, kinda like some of the islanders guys like Clutterbuck and Cizikas. Not play style necessarily but importance

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I think Groulx and Lundy have the potential to be the kind of depth guys that are worth more than their place in the line up would imply, kinda like some of the islanders guys like Clutterbuck and Cizikas. Not play style necessarily but importance

I still think Lundy will break out big at some point. Such a good toolbox. Bo can too but looks like a strong 3rd liner at some point. If everything works out well obviously.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I think Groulx will be a better point producer while Lundeström could be better defensively. Groulx and Lundeström could form a nice third line down the line. Both play with good work ethic and are responsible in their own end. Ideal guys for defending the lead.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I still think Lundy will break out big at some point. Such a good toolbox. Bo can too but looks like a strong 3rd liner at some point. If everything works out well obviously.

I think Groulx will be a better point producer while Lundeström could be better defensively. Groulx and Lundeström could form a nice third line down the line. Both play with good work ethic and are responsible in their own end. Ideal guys for defending the lead.

I wonder if Lundy's affinity to the defensive game in a 200-ft sense is what might make him hold his offense back when he plays center? When Lundy was sent down to the AHL as a winger, Dineen got Lundy to be aggressive and let the centerman worry more about the defense. Lundy looked like a different player then. When shifted back to center due to necessity, Lundy looked good and played very well with Rakell and Comtois to get both players going. Afterwards, that line was disbanded. (boo!)

Now, Lundy looks strong at center, but it appears he is going to be pigeon-holed into a bottom-6 role. If Groulx can establish himself as a 3C, then we could move Lundy to wing, provided Rico remains a Ducks. One can hope that Lundy can mimic Rakell's path such that they both started off at center, but when transitioned to wing, then Rakell became a high-end goal scorer.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Scott Wheeler from the Athletic had an interesting comment that relates to Tracey:

"In a 2021 context, we have to evaluate Dylan Guenther’s two points per game and Sebastian Cossa’s .941 save percentage through the strength of their Edmonton Oil Kings team, which went 20-2-1 and outscored the opposition 104-41 on the year. For as good as Guenther was (he ranked second to sensation Connor Bedard in primary points per game and even-strength primary points per game), he shot 23.5 percent playing on a line with Blues 2020 first-rounder Jake Neighbours. You can bet that his season would have looked different had he swapped places with Ducks 2019 first-rounder Brayden Tracey and joined the three-win Victoria Royals, just as Tracey’s 21-points-in-22-games season would have looked different playing for the Oil Kings."

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Scott Wheeler from the Athletic had an interesting comment that relates to Tracey:

"In a 2021 context, we have to evaluate Dylan Guenther’s two points per game and Sebastian Cossa’s .941 save percentage through the strength of their Edmonton Oil Kings team, which went 20-2-1 and outscored the opposition 104-41 on the year. For as good as Guenther was (he ranked second to sensation Connor Bedard in primary points per game and even-strength primary points per game), he shot 23.5 percent playing on a line with Blues 2020 first-rounder Jake Neighbours. You can bet that his season would have looked different had he swapped places with Ducks 2019 first-rounder Brayden Tracey and joined the three-win Victoria Royals, just as Tracey’s 21-points-in-22-games season would have looked different playing for the Oil Kings."

That sentiment is what some of us have been saying about Tracey's situation in juniors. Of course at the AHL level, Tracey was not ready for it yet.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
So is that good news for Tracey then?

Essentially, it means he produced okay on an awful team while Guenther produced well on a really good team. The premise would be that if roles were reversed, Tracey would be putting up higher numbers and Guenther fewer.

A number of posts have disparaged Tracey as a prospect because of his low numbers, but that doesn't tell the whole story. Wheeler specifically calls out Tracey as an example which implies that Wheeler believes Tracey's talent is not being fully represented in his point totals and the reason is a bad team.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Still am concerned about Tracey because his short stint in the AHL was extremely bad. Could have had Pinto, Hoglander, Rees, Robertson(Toronto prospect), Brink.

Reactions: Kalv

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008

While I get the argument that point totals, especially in junior, are inflated and deflated by linemates and systems, I just don't see it with Tracey. I watched every AHL game and many of his WHL games and I came away very skeptical. His time in the AHL was particularly concerning as we saw many equal young (or younger) players making an impact and not looking out of place, but the opposite was the case for Tracey. I really hope I am wrong, but I would be surprised if he made any real impact in the NHL.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
While I get the argument that point totals, especially in junior, are inflated and deflated by linemates and systems, I just don't see it with Tracey. I watched every AHL game and many of his WHL games and I came away very skeptical. His time in the AHL was particularly concerning as we saw many equal young (or younger) players making an impact and not looking out of place, but the opposite was the case for Tracey. I really hope I am wrong, but I would be surprised if he made any real impact in the NHL.
In ur opinion do you think its because Tracey does better playing against 17/18 year olds as he's not as weak against them while in the AHL he's up against more physically mature players ?

This is one of Maddens questionable picks and all but 1 of his 1st round picks that didn't pan out well are forwards. Holland/Etem/Ritchie and close to adding Steel and Jones to that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad