Prospect Info: Ducks Prospect Info 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I actually complemented you. Certainly didn't attack you unless you believe that being a fan of Tracey is an attack (misguided yes; attack no). I've laid out my concerns about Tracey in several other posts which I'm sure you've already read. Being on a low scoring junior team is certainly a factor in his numbers but he showed nothing at the AHL level either with more talented players. I'm sure privately that the Ducks are very concerned about his future.

Clearly you did attack a person, otherwise why rationalize what you did? Let's review, shall we?

I admire your optimism...turn off the lights when you leave the Braydon Tracey fan club meeting. I think you're the only member at this point.

The compliment was, "I admire your optimism." You should have left it there, but you didn't. The rest of your post was trying to belittle a person, in hopes of trying to diminish the opinion rather than to have a discussion about player. That's an attack on a person, not attacking an idea.

Let's look at some of your concerns:

"Being on a low scoring junior team is certainly a factor in his numbers": Tracey gets docked for being on a low scoring junior team? You do realize he has no control on which team he goes to play for, but you dock him nonetheless. Between MJ and both Victoria seasons, Tracey is their leading scorer. On a tangent, are all the forwards on the Ducks failures like Zegras and Comtois for being on a low scoring team? (That was a rhetorical question.)

"he showed nothing at the AHL level either with more talented players.": Your expectations of Tracey is wildly skewed with respect to being AHL ready. Tracey is one of four teenagers that were on the AHL roster: Zegras was a 9th overall selection in 2019, Tracey was the 29th overall selection in 2019, Drysdale was the 6th overall pick in 2o20, and Perreault was the 27th overall draftee in 2020. Everyone else in the AHL was older, bigger, and possess more experience. Did you expect Tracey to be better than Zegras or Drysdale? I surely hope not. Did you expect Tracey to be better than Perreault? I hope not as well, but Perreault would be his closest comparison. To start the AHL season, both Tracey and Perreault did not belong. The jump was too big to encompass.

I've stated this before, but I'll shared it again as you clearly don't read my posts. When drafted, Tracey measured in at 6'0 and 176 lbs. Perreault came in at 5'11 and 192 lbs. Perreault already has the physical advantage as he's been playing at that weight for his draft season. Tracey did add 20 pounds to his frame during the lockdown, but Perreault probably added some mass to his frame as well. Although Perreault was selected 27th overall, he was mocked often in the teens. The reasons he dropped was his attitude and motor because he only played offense in his draft year. When you see Perrault's talent, it's very high. I liken it to Lucas Raymond tool kit. Here's Draft Dynasty's video review of Perreault:

If Perreault played a full 200 foot game, then he would probably have had top-10 mentions.

Perreault has two seasons under the OHL banner when he was drafted. Tracey had his first year in the WHL when he was drafted, won RoY, most rookie goals, assists, and points. Why do I bring this up? He's a late bloomer. Yet, neither Tracey or Perreault looked good to start the AHL season.

"I'm sure privately that the Ducks are very concerned about his future.": When did speculation translate to fact?

Tracey was a long term project from the get go. He was a rookie in the CHL when he was drafted. He's been a leading scorer for two franchises, when both teams decided to trade away top and key talents. This year, Victoria has far fewer talents than the previous year, but Tracey is keeping the same ppg rate pace from the previous season. How is this possible? Out of 19 points, 12 of Tracey's points come on the PP. He's making things happen on the PP on a team that cannot score. That should bode well for the Ducks, who has problems scoring on the PP.

It's far too early in Tracey's career to be definitive that Tracey is a bust. There's talent there and it needs some seasoning. I find it facetious to write off a 19-year old that's been leading teams in scoring without talent in the WHL. Give Tracey a couple more years before you having a definitive outlook. If Tracey continues to develops, then we win either by promotion or by trading him.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Tracey finishes the last game of the season for Victoria with 1+1. In 22 games, Tracey accumulated 21 points. He finishes the team in scoring first overall. This could mean he can probably join the AHL club.

Reactions: Hey234

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I feel for Tracey. He got completely screwed by Covid and an awful team. I hope the front office sits down with him this offseason and explains that they are not disappointed with him. I think the mental aspect matters in a situation like this

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Tracey finishes the last game of the season for Victoria with 1+1. In 22 games, Tracey accumulated 21 points. He finishes the team in scoring first overall. This could mean he can probably join the AHL club.
Oh shoot, I forgot about the AHL this season. He can join indeed, but if his performance there so far is any indication, he will struggle to get in the lineup. But still, might get a game here and there.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Has there been any talk of Zegras or Drysdale joining the Gulls?

Edit: Nevermind, just saw in the Gulls thread they all got sent down, but Drys and Zegras havent played yet. Would be cool if they play in one or both of the weekend games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalv and lwvs84

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I was reading the Ducks' page on the hockey writers and stumbled upon this sentence about Tracey:

He will be eligible to play for San Diego next season, but could return to Victoria for a final over-age season.

Interesting. We can keep Tracey in the CHL another year?! This is tempting, imo. Tracey looked out of place in the AHL this year, but his body just wasn't ready for it either. The problem with this is that Victoria is such a terrible team and I'm not sure it's a great environment for Tracey's growth.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I was reading the Ducks' page on the hockey writers and stumbled upon this sentence about Tracey:

Interesting. We can keep Tracey in the CHL another year?! This is tempting, imo. Tracey looked out of place in the AHL this year, but his body just wasn't ready for it either. The problem with this is that Victoria is such a terrible team and I'm not sure it's a great environment for Tracey's growth.

It's not tempting at all IMO. Teams usually don't let mid round draft picks stay for a 20 year old season, very doubtful the Ducks are going to have someone of his caliber do it. It would be fairly unprecedented.

There's really just little upside. He's already been a very good player in that league and the jump from 19 to 20 is huge. His games not gonna grow if he's that much better than everyone, probably the opposite.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Stephens confirms that LaCombe will go back to school next year. He didn't say anything about McLaughlin, but I assume he will go back, too.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I was just reading that Jacob Perreault's younger brother has signed on with the USDNTP to play for the U17s. Pretty rare to see brothers choose opposite paths, and may provide some reasoning as to why we haven't seen Jacob represent Canada since the U17 level. Entirely still possible he chooses to represent the US instead.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I was just reading that Jacob Perreault's younger brother has signed on with the USDNTP to play for the U17s. Pretty rare to see brothers choose opposite paths, and may provide some reasoning as to why we haven't seen Jacob represent Canada since the U17 level. Entirely still possible he chooses to represent the US instead.

Hmmm... and here I assumed he didn't make the cut for team Canada because of all of those other first rounders on the team that were more talented. That was the reason Tracey didn't make the team as well.

Here's a quote from an article by Pucks of a Feather's Brad Senecal on Jacob Perreault after he was drafted: (April 2021)

If the Anaheim Ducks have specific expectations for Perreault this is a blueprint that the young forward could definitely follow. Heading into next year Perreault should (hopefully) get a full season with Sarnia and also push for a spot on the Canadian World Junior team to help continue his development.
Another quote, but this time by a McKeen's Hockey article on Perreault: (Feb 11, 2020)

However, his game does not come without some question marks. This summer, Perreault was a surprising cut from the Canadian Hlinka/Gretzky team, despite a strong performance offensively at the camp. This likely had to do with Perreault’s play in the other two zones. His play without the puck can leave some to be desired, as effort and awareness on the backcheck is quite inconsistent. Growth is definitely required of him as a two-way player. Additionally, Perreault can be prone to turnovers in the neutral zone that cost his team. His puck management and decision making will need to improve.

Can Jacob still choose the US? No idea.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Hmmm... and here I assumed he didn't make the cut for team Canada because of all of those other first rounders on the team that were more talented. That was the reason Tracey didn't make the team as well.

Here's a quote from an article by Pucks of a Feather's Brad Senecal on Jacob Perreault after he was drafted: (April 2021)

If the Anaheim Ducks have specific expectations for Perreault this is a blueprint that the young forward could definitely follow. Heading into next year Perreault should (hopefully) get a full season with Sarnia and also push for a spot on the Canadian World Junior team to help continue his development.
Another quote, but this time by a McKeen's Hockey article on Perreault: (Feb 11, 2020)

However, his game does not come without some question marks. This summer, Perreault was a surprising cut from the Canadian Hlinka/Gretzky team, despite a strong performance offensively at the camp. This likely had to do with Perreault’s play in the other two zones. His play without the puck can leave some to be desired, as effort and awareness on the backcheck is quite inconsistent. Growth is definitely required of him as a two-way player. Additionally, Perreault can be prone to turnovers in the neutral zone that cost his team. His puck management and decision making will need to improve.

Can Jacob still choose the US? No idea.

For some reason I thought Jacob had been excluded from selection camp all together. I'm not really sure about the rules for dual citizens eligibility, there have been a few cases where it has come up over the years.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
In that last video of Bob he mentioned that there are defencemen (or a defenceman) who they are really excited about but that nobody has any clue yet. Any idea what could it be? Because I doubt they are the usual suspects, albeit maybe it is about Axel Andersson. Or some of the last years draftees, but not sure. I doubt he meant Thrun or LaCombe who are sort of a known commodity because of the WJC and we have yet to sign them (risk on losing them)

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
In that last video of Bob he mentioned that there are defencemen (or a defenceman) who they are really excited about but that nobody has any clue yet. Any idea what could it be? Because I doubt they are the usual suspects, albeit maybe it is about Axel Andersson. Or some of the last years draftees, but not sure. I doubt he meant Thrun or LaCombe who are sort of a known commodity because of the WJC and we have yet to sign them (risk on losing them)
I’m not sure who else it could be besides Thrun/LaCombe. Andersson as well. I got the feeling he said that because he thinks they aren’t that known to the casual observer and fanbase even though they were in the WJC. They haven’t spent much time around the big club

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008

I think Bob is largely referring to Thrun and a Lacombe, as I think he was speaking to the very casual ducks fan, not HFboard poster who actually follow prospects.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
The only 4 D prospects that are “sleepers” that have the potential to be mystery men Bob referred to are Thrun, LaCombe, Moore and Andersson. If I had to guess I would say it’s probably Thrun and Lacombe, both have been developing very well and LaCombe especially has been making leaps and bounds in terms of developing

Reactions: JabbaJabba
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->