Prospect Info: Ducks Prospect Info 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Moncton played today and won 4-0, but Groulx is going into a slump it seems -- he's got no points in his last five games.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Damnit, Drew O'connor signed with the Penguins. Must be nice to be a destination for free agents.

Who doesn't like signing power forwards. Makes sense why we would be low on his list. :(

Maybe we still have a shot at Connor Mackey.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Damnit, Drew O'connor signed with the Penguins. Must be nice to be a destination for free agents.

Who doesn't like signing power forwards. Makes sense why we would be low on his list. :(

Maybe we still have a shot at Connor Mackey.
Ridiculous post. We’ve signed plenty of college free agents. Do you have any evidence that Murray went after O’Connor? There are plenty of better college free agents still available, that we might be more focused on.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Ridiculous post. We’ve signed plenty of college free agents. Do you have any evidence that Murray went after O’Connor? There are plenty of better college free agents still available, that we might be more focused on.

As always, you are absolutely correct Merlin but missing the point. We do sign our share of college free agents... probably too many of them. But I'm talking about quality, not quantity.

In the past 3 years, the only "big" target we picked up was Sherwood, and he wasn't even a star in the NCAA. But apparently you think that we were fortunate to have beat out the long list of other teams for warm bodies like Moldenhauer, Redmond, Johnno May, Forney.... You must think we categorized them as"super sleeper" picks or something because those guys weren't even a top 3 player on their own team.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
As always, you are absolutely correct Merlin but missing the point. We do sign our share of college free agents... probably too many of them. But I'm talking about quality, not quantity.

In the past 3 years, the only "big" target we picked up was Sherwood, and he wasn't even a star in the NCAA. But apparently you think that we were fortunate to have beat out the long list of other teams for warm bodies like Moldenhauer, Redmond, Johnno May, Forney.... You must think we categorized them as"super sleeper" picks or something because those guys weren't even a top 3 player on their own team.

How hard is it to realize that the top guys get to pick their spots? We are one of 31 teams, the reason we don’t sign any good college FAs anymore is because nowadays everyone is after them.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017

You can offer them the same contract as every other team. And what you plan. I guess, most teams will offer quite the same. You also have to realize, most of the players are signed for AHL rosters and you hope to get more. At least you sign players you see some potential. Redmond for instance was considered as a top goalie in College. As was Boyle.

Overall, if the Ducks are not attractive right now they never will be. For a college/junior free agents there are plenty of spots available. But in the end, it comes down to the player. They can choose.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Yeah, that’s true. Players have to really care about California weather but most would be more swayed by the rough 10%+ in tax and cost of living savings which is huge even for entry level contracts when signing in states like Texas or Florida. We can only sway them with the opportunity of having less competition.

As for Redmond, we normally do pretty well in sporting Goalie talent but I guess we missed on him. I think we have a better track record when we sign Euro Goalies.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Pretty sure California tax bracket keeps players away as well

If college FAs are looking to bank on their talents, then they probably choose a path that gets them there sooner. Although CA has high taxes, if you're looking towards your second contract and a pay increase, then you want to be able to display your skills at the NHL level. If you choose a team where your talent is buried behind other players, then you risk getting paid sooner and more. You can view CA as a stepping stone for either another team outside of CA or getting paid in the millions inside of CA. The getting paid millions eases the pain of high taxes as opposed to trying to break through while being buried behind other talents.

If CA tax bracket is as terrible as we all make it out to be, then why are there millionaires and billionaires still living in CA? Why does CA have 3 NHL teams, 5 MLB teams, 4 NBA teams, and 3 NFL teams (the fourth left for Vegas).

High end college FAs need to mimic electricity flow and follow the path of least resistance to produce the maximum outcome. Avoiding CA taxes on needy CA teams only to be buried behind other talents that stalls one's career for a couple more years feels like a Pyrrhic victory.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Thrun currently sits at 21 points in 31 games (and is a +17) and he was named one of the best defensive defensemen in his conference

That's pretty impressive. The other two finalists had similar levels of offensive production, but are older (one is 22 and the other is 21, whereas Thrun is literally about to turn 19 in two days). Manson won the defensive defenseman of the year award in his own conference back in his college days... I wonder how this signals for Thrun's future? It's certainly not bad news.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Pretty sure California tax bracket keeps players away as well

Yeah, that’s true. Players have to really care about California weather but most would be more swayed by the rough 10%+ in tax and cost of living savings which is huge even for entry level contracts when signing in states like Texas or Florida. We can only sway them with the opportunity of having less competition.

As for Redmond, we normally do pretty well in sporting Goalie talent but I guess we missed on him. I think we have a better track record when we sign Euro Goalies.

Taxes in CA are a much bigger issue to UFAs with years of NHL experience than guys who were passed over in the draft. The chance to have a career is the single biggest factor those guys should be looking at.

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA
I love when people just assume BM didn't try. How do you know he didn't try? Were you there? How do you know they didn't talk to him/his agent? It's the same with free agents. Maybe they just aren't interested in playing in Anaheim. This whole jump down BM's throat cause someone doesn't sign here is old and tiring

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
True but how many teams offer those state tax free salaries? So the Stars, Ligtning and Panthers? Not like many players run there anyway - if there are 3 good teams for tax, there are 27 not so good teams for tax is my point. So generally it should even out. As for cost of living - NY is not cheap either and many players really want to play there as that is a big market, some off-ice benefits.

Not trying to make a point that tax and cost of living doesn`t matter but their importance might not be as big longterm. I`m more thnking out loud here really, so - thoughts?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Thrun currently sits at 21 points in 31 games (and is a +17) and he was named one of the best defensive defensemen in his conference

Thrun has been the biggest surprise (as far as exceeding expectations goes) in our draft pool (Dostal rose last year more than this year). So good to see it - actually Pronman just had a Q&A today and someone asked about Thrun and CP answered that he should improve his skating a bit FWIW.
On a pace like this Thrun will be signed in next 1-2 years.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Thrun has been the biggest surprise (as far as exceeding expectations goes) in our draft pool (Dostal rose last year more than this year). So good to see it - actually Pronman just had a Q&A today and someone asked about Thrun and CP answered that he should improve his skating a bit FWIW.
On a pace like this Thrun will be signed in next 1-2 years.

Yeah, I glad he is surprising us. Alot of our recent NCAA picks haven't been all that great and I was hoping for someone like Teply instead of him since he seemed like a bottom pairing guy. His scouting reports said he was just above average at everything and nothing special at anything so I envisioned another Larsson. However, he's been doing great against older competition and should have bigger production in the next 2 years. Seems like a smart guy and knows what he needs to improve, skating and being more mean.

Reactions: Kalv

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
True but how many teams offer those state tax free salaries? So the Stars, Ligtning and Panthers? Not like many players run there anyway - if there are 3 good teams for tax, there are 27 not so good teams for tax is my point. So generally it should even out. As for cost of living - NY is not cheap either and many players really want to play there as that is a big market, some off-ice benefits.

Not trying to make a point that tax and cost of living doesn`t matter but their importance might not be as big longterm. I`m more thnking out loud here really, so - thoughts?

Yeah, we saw that with what happened to the CBJs. Panarin went for the bright lights of NYC, and Bobrovsky went for the $$$ in Florida. The tax free thing is definitely an advantage when you have players willing to take a hometown discount for a NTC and term.

Reactions: Kalv

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Quotes from Pronman in his Q&A regarding our prospects:

upload_2020-3-10_15-43-50.png

upload_2020-3-10_15-49-36.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events