Prospect Info: Ducks Prospect Info 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I haven`t watched him closely but does Groulx really have a limited offensive ability? He seems to generate a lot of shots and have points almost every game. He probably isn`t a franchise player material, but is top6 role really that unlikely? He has made big strides since his last year, it seems.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I haven`t watched him closely but does Groulx really have a limited offensive ability? He seems to generate a lot of shots and have points almost every game. He probably isn`t a franchise player material, but is top6 role really that unlikely? He has made big strides since his last year, it seems.
It’s unlikely because his best attributes are work ethic and two way play rather than hands or vision.
From what I’ve seen. Doesn’t mean he can’t still develop but I do think it’s unlikely he’s ever a top 6er

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think his biggest problem @Draft/predraft was hes not a great skater.

He has a really good shot, and solid hands... he lacks a bit of creativity offensively.... I think he is a player that will put in the work to be an NHL player.... he really has gotten better every year as a player/skater.... I think hell surprise a lot of people in here, if he keeps improving his skating.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It’s unlikely because his best attributes are work ethic and two way play rather than hands or vision.
From what I’ve seen. Doesn’t mean he can’t still develop but I do think it’s unlikely he’s ever a top 6er
He is a pretty good shot too.... and his hands are solid... his big knocks are he lacks offensive creativity(think etem), and not the greatest skater.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I see Groulx as a bottom 6 utility type player. He is big and smart in all 3 zones, and his skating has improved this year. His first step still needs some work but his top end speed is good. His utility comes from the fact that his shot is good enough to be a triggerman on the powerplay.

He's not the sexiest pick but getting an NHL player in the 2nd round is good and Groulx imo will be a player.

Reactions: AngelDuck

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He is a pretty good shot too.... and his hands are solid... his big knocks are he lacks offensive creativity(think etem), and not the greatest skater.
I like his shot but I’m skeptical about his hands still until I see it at the next level. We’ll just have to wait a while with him

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I do wonder if his offensive ability was questioned pre-draft due to his production, that's a thing that happens a lot. He seemed to bounce back and start to fulfill that midget draft position, very reminiscent of Steel just on a much lesser scale all around.

Also agree that I feel better about him than Morand. Morand really doesn't seem to have grown all that much.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Halifax loses 6-3, now down 3-2 in the series. Groulx had 2 assists, even rating, 1 SOG. Morand was scoreless, -1, 0 SOG.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Morand doing nothing is disappointing for a player of his age and experience.

But like all players from the CHL, he will ultimately be judged on how he transitions to playing against bigger/faster players

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Morand is such a strange case, just has never really kicked on from his D-1 season. If a prospect like Groulx who has questions about his offensive game is outproducing him (and is a year younger)....that doesn't look good for Morand. But hopefully he has a Rakell-like transformation once he hits the pros.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Morand is such a strange case, just has never really kicked on from his D-1 season. If a prospect like Groulx who has questions about his offensive game is outproducing him (and is a year younger)....that doesn't look good for Morand. But hopefully he has a Rakell-like transformation once he hits the pros.

It's also a bit odd because I've seen mostly praise for him in the Q, although I haven't looked very hard. Seems like theres an intangibles factor, being named captain immediately in Halifax, and it could be that playing on stacked teams in back to back years has hurt his production. Could also be that he's not dynamic enough to put up mega numbers but he just steadily gets the job done.

It's weird, it's not like it's bad by any stretch. Always been above a point a game, always been above 1.1 points a game since his rookie year, even led his team last year in scoring, but obviously it's been in that same range since his draft year. Definitely an interesting case.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
I'll chime in on this Morand talk, as I've done so much in the past.. In all my viewings of Morand, which are a lot since we drafted him, he has looked very average in every facet. The characteristics which earned him the most praise --hockey IQ and passing-- haven't looked game-breaking nor have they made up for his deficiencies. Morand is undersized and if his skating doesn't give him any kind of edge in the QMJHL, it certainly won't in professional hockey. There's certainly something to be said of his leadership abilities, but there's probably even more to be said about the fact he didn't make Canada's WJC team this year. For a guy drafted second overall in the QMJHL entry draft, you'd expect more development following his impressive rookie season.

Morand hasn't shown any signs of improvement and people, Pronman being one of them, are starting to realize he's being going through the motions for the past three seasons.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Morand hasn't shown any signs of improvement and people, Pronman being one of them, are starting to realize he's being going through the motions for the past three seasons

And there must have been a reason they drafted him. They passed on some intersting players, Barratt, Fleury, Laaskonen and obviously Batherson.

I will wait and See how he does next year in the AHL.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
I wonder if the Ducks are going to leave Dostal in Europe for another year or bring him over for the next season. They already have one rookie goaltender for next year in Ek, so they may feel that one is enough. Boyle is under contract for next year, so he either will be the back up in Anaheim or the starter in San Diego.

I also wonder which of the other Duck draft choices that are on ATO's with the Gulls will be signed to ELC's. Usually an ATO is a sign that the Ducks are interested, but not every player who gets an ATO is signed to an ELC.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I wonder if the Ducks are going to leave Dostal in Europe for another year or bring him over for the next season. They already have one rookie goaltender for next year in Ek, so they may feel that one is enough. Boyle is under contract for next year, so he either will be the back up in Anaheim or the starter in San Diego.

I also wonder which of the other Duck draft choices that are on ATO's with the Gulls will be signed to ELC's. Usually an ATO is a sign that the Ducks are interested, but not every player who gets an ATO is signed to an ELC.
For what it`s worth, Eliteprospects already shows Dostal as signed but as his next season club - his Czech club. Where do those guys get all the intel? :D

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

Dostal signs an ELC.

As expected. Now we'll wait and see where he plays next season.

Would make a ton of sense to have him stay somewhere in Europe. Dostal is still an ELC slide candidate, plus there's a ton of competition in Anaheim/San Diego right now. Gibson, Boyle and Olle are all signed, plus the Ducks reportedly are interested in bringing Miller back for one more year.

Lukas does need to get away from his current club, HC Kometa, due to there being way too much competition at G. We'll see if the Ducks try to influence the situation somehow...

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Could see him wind up in the CHL, their upcoming import draft might give us a clue there.

I think one season as a CHL starter, getting used to the smaller surface before heading to the AHL next year- sounds like a great plan for Dostal.

Sudbury immediately jumps to mind. Will be a contending team next year, but I'm thinking that this year's starter U-P Lukkonen will be moving on to the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00