Prospect Info: Ducks Prospect Info 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
After the opening weekend of the first round of Liiga playoffs, Ilves is down 2-0. Game 1 was a heartbreaking 3-4 OT loss -- Ilves blew 0-2 and 1-3 leads, Kärpät eventually tied the game with 47 seconds left in the clock. In OT, Ilves had two PP opportunities, but did not capitalize on either one. Kärpät scored the OT winner short-handed, after Ilves lost a faceoff clean in their own zone, allowing a defenseman to tee up a near-perfect shot from the circle. Dostal stopped 31 of 35 and while this was not his best performance, he 100% gave his team a chance to win that game. Ilves totally shot themselves in the foot.

Game 2 was scoreless after 40 minutes, but a 3rd period 4-goal burst from the defending champs (one empty netter) proved to be too much for Ilves. Lukas stopped 32 of 35 and although he let in one pretty bad goal, it came 59 seconds before the end of the regulation, by which time the game was already 3-0 and Kärpät was cruising to victory anyway.

Ilves is skating on thin ice, they have to start winning games if they want to survive. To make matters worse, Ilves lost one of their top-4 defensemen to injury after a boarding incident, which in turn led to one of Kärpät's bottom-6 guys getting ejected from the game. This one could be a short series.

Last edited:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
The kissing disease, mononucleosis.
So it`s clear he`s not a loser :sarcasm:

But it sucks he`s out now. He`s the teams second best scorer, with him in the lineup they might as well be up 2:0 right now. It is what it is, but I really wanted to see how he plays in playoffs this year

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Dostal stops 19 of 21, but Ilves loses 2-1. Series 3-0 for Kärpät... :help:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Nice, that is interesting. But I wonder if he`s ready to make any impact for the Gulls playoff run.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I think he is currently behind Dostal and Durny right now.
Durny is actually almost a year older, having only slightly better stats in a highschool league. But Dostal I would rate certainly higher, he seems to be a gem.

Boyle is our go to guy in San Diego but even he has some below average statline. Might even give a chance to Ek, will be interesting to see.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Hmm interesting... I was guessing that Dostal and Ek would continue to develop in Europe for another 2 years and Durny would be the AHL backup, while Boyle would get a shot at being Gibson’s backup. Then we would sign a Euro free agent as the AHL starter (like Frodl).

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
The thing with Olle is that he's already signed to ELC. He's also 19, which means that starting from next season, the years on his ELC will be spent regardless of where he plays. IMO this is why he's being reassigned to San Diego this quickly.

Regarding the other guys -- Durny is 20, so while he's not eligible for an ELC slide, the start of his ELC can be controlled within the time frame of his draft status. IMO he will go to Europe, because he's no longer eligible to return to the USHL and his pro tenure in the Slovakia blocks the NCAA route from him, plus I don't know if he's yet experienced enough to handle an AHL assignment.

Dostal is only 18 and turns 19 this June, so he could be signed to ELC immediately and loaned to Europe for a full season (a team like Ilves would happily gift-wrap the starter role for him). Then there's also Redmond, who's signed until 2020, but him I see being more like an ECHL guy.

Boyle is under contract for 1 more season, but depending on how much gas Miller still has in the tank, he could be taking the backup job in Anaheim.

19-20 goalies:
Anaheim - Gibson/Boyle (Miller?)
San Diego - X/Olle (Boyle?)
Europe - Dostal/Durny
Other - Redmond (Metcalf?)

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Nice explanation. I’d like us to go for an ascending European goalie in their early/mid 20s, but knowing Murray, he’s probably hoping Miller resigns or he’s going for an old veteran with little upside.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
.901 SV% in a euro league = .893 in the AHL ?
I am not too worried about save percentages in non-NHL leagues, particularly for young goalies. While it is a number, that number can be significantly impacted upwards or downwards by the quality of the team around the goalie. That said, every drafted goaltender is a crap shoot that teams need to take in order to keep goalies in the pipeline. Let us see how Ek does over the next two years before we draw any conclusions. If worse comes to worse he goes back to Europe and we wasted a fifth round draft pick.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Quiet day for our CHL prospects:
Charlottetown loses 1-0, now up 2-1 in the series. Drew scoreless, -1, 5 SOG
Halifax wins 3-1, now down 2-1 in the series. Morand scoreless, even rating, 2 SOG
Drummondville wins 7-4, up 3-0 in the series. Comtois scoreless, even rating, 1 SOG, and 8 PIMs.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
^ Goodnight Ilves, series over 4-0. Ilves gave a good effort, but Kärpät was just too much for them. Don't think Dostal could've realistically done much more either.

Reactions: GiveYouABagOfPucks

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
^ Goodnight Ilves, series over 4-0. Ilves gave a good effort, but Kärpät was just too much for them. Don't think Dostal could've realistically done much more either.
Yeah, Karpat has been the clear favorite here - it would have been a huge upset if Ilves beat them. Tonight, Dostal stopped 39 out of 42 shots - you couldn't really ask for more, especially not from an 18 year old kid.
Overall, he went 2.71 GAA and 90.73 SV% in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino