Confirmed with Link: Ducks name Dallas Eakins head coach [Press Conference Noon PT]

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I am optimistic about Eakins as head coach. As many have pointed out, he knows a lot of the prospects and as they are about to make the jump into the NHL, he knows how to utilize them. As Perry/Kesler/Eaves are likely gone and Getzlaf remains for few more seasons, it is time to move on and Eakins should be a solid choice of coach to start that new era. He did good job in San Diego and deserves a second shot.

Eakins gets too much blame for his time in Edmonton, based on Andrew Ference's comments, that team was a mess with bad mentality and Eakins was a victim rather than a reason for it. Ference had nothing but good things to say about Eakins and while I don't believe he's without his faults, he was one of the best options for the job concerning everything.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I am optimistic about Eakins as head coach. As many have pointed out, he knows a lot of the prospects and as they are about to make the jump into the NHL, he knows how to utilize them. As Perry/Kesler/Eaves are likely gone and Getzlaf remains for few more seasons, it is time to move on and Eakins should be a solid choice of coach to start that new era. He did good job in San Diego and deserves a second shot.

Eakins gets too much blame for his time in Edmonton, based on Andrew Ference's comments, that team was a mess with bad mentality and Eakins was a victim rather than a reason for it. Ference had nothing but good things to say about Eakins and while I don't believe he's without his faults, he was one of the best options for the job concerning everything.
Good reminder. Here`s the Ference article: Andrew Ference goes nuclear, rips terrible practice habits, party atmosphere of 2013-15 Edmonton Oilers

I guess a Stanley Cup champion (ok, he wasn`t the MVP or anything, yeah) might know a thing or two.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
It didn't take a rocket scientist back in Feb to know Ealkins was THE leading candidate. Teaford knew what we knew. Then he probably heard some low level admin guy (definitely not BM) say something like, "Eakins will get the job, for sure." Now Teaford wants us to believe he knew all along this was a done deal. Sorry Elliott, not buying it.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
It didn't take a rocket scientist back in Feb to know Ealkins was THE leading candidate. Teaford knew what we knew. Then he probably heard some low level admin guy (definitely not BM) say something like, "Eakins will get the job, for sure." Now Teaford wants us to believe he knew all along this was a done deal. Sorry Elliott, not buying it.
Exactly. I think people are taking how he’s presented it the wrong way. No way in hell he got confirmation from a source that the deal was done. It’s like when any normal person says something like “I told you that was gonna happen.”

What he said on his twitter or whatever was probably just an expression when he said he “knew.” It’s really irresponsible to say that, but whatever. Bob didn’t drag this out until June for his own amusement.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
The Ducks new coach 'Dallas Eakins' aka The 10th Dr. Who:
giphy.webp

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Honest question because I didn't follow Edmonton, but did they have anyone on the roster that could stand up for other guys? And was this at a point where their players cared more about their next contract than each other?

Eakins came in at a pretty important time in the franchise. Problem was he came in right after Ralph Kreuger who was in many ways an opposite philosophy to Eakins. He was very much an old school mentality that you worked hard and earned your way. He was very focuses on instilling an almost military culture here. Andrew Ferrence was made captain and supported that style of culture as well. Problem is he came into a room where the team was built around young players still finding their way to be adults. Ralph Kreuger had a good handle on that and was able to mold the team together despite its youth. Eakins failed every step of the way. The culture Kreuger was building was based around molding these guys into young leaders through inspiration and self discovery. Eakins was trying to build it through hierarchy and structure. It didn't work with our guys.

That being said Eakins takes a lot of blame. He was in over his head in Edmonton, but that's just as much on the team and management. I am glad he got another shot with you guys. I hope he can turn some heads. I think he is much more ready now to be an NHL coach than he was 4 years ago. I also think he has learned from his mistakes and had a new age way of thinking the game. He could be a huge flop but just as likely he could be a very good coach. I think this time he will do well.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Sounds like a class act. Say what you will about Stephens but he at least knows the game reasonably well and is for the most part pretty civil with the fan base. Teaford is just an arrogant hack.
Agreed on all accounts. I actually had short but good conversation with Stephens this year at one of the practices. No secrets spilled but a good discussion of the RC factor prior to his firing.

Reactions: Paul4587

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
"No Secrets Spilled" could be the title of Stephens column. He really is super nice and accommodating in person though.
He is that. And I'll give him that since moving to the Athletic, his writing has been much more enjoyable. He isn't a different person, but the articles are all much more lengthy and in greater detail than the OCR crap was. He also occasionally responds to fans comments to the article. Much more enjoyable even if he won't ever really break anything.

I'll also add, I had one conversation with Steve Carroll this year at practice as well. He actually initiated talking with the few fans who were there and I ended up talking with him for probably 10 minutes. He really was interested in fan feedback and talked as well as listened. A really friendly guy.

Reactions: Exit Dose

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
He is that. And I'll give him that since moving to the Athletic, his writing has been much more enjoyable. He isn't a different person, but the articles are all much more lengthy and in greater detail than the OCR crap was. He also occasionally responds to fans comments to the article. Much more enjoyable even if he won't ever really break anything.

I'll also add, I had one conversation with Steve Carroll this year at practice as well. He actually initiated talking with the few fans who were there and I ended up talking with him for probably 10 minutes. He really was interested in fan feedback and talked as well as listened. A really friendly guy.
Think Stephens, much like a lot of writers, appreciates the fact that there isn't a deadline and an expectation to crank out "x" number of articles every day, or every other day, etc. That allows the pieces at the Athletic to be higher quality. But also in Stephens' case, I think it allows him to enjoy the work way more than he would have otherwise, which certainly shows in his writing since moving there.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Think Stephens, much like a lot of writers, appreciates the fact that there isn't a deadline and an expectation to crank out "x" number of articles every day, or every other day, etc. That allows the pieces at the Athletic to be higher quality. But also in Stephens' case, I think it allows him to enjoy the work way more than he would have otherwise, which certainly shows in his writing since moving there.
I'm sure it does. But I think it's obvious from reading the Athletic that it must be part of the requirements/groundrules that articles must be meatier than the crap any newspaper puts out. It's consistent across all their writers and sports. I've enjoyed reading articles not specific to the Ducks and not even specific to hockey.

Reactions: ADHB

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1