Confirmed with Link: Ducks name Dallas Eakins head coach [Press Conference Noon PT]

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
His defensive improvements have been washed out by his puck moving regression. He used to be a smooth skating guy (95% of the time, he did have lapses where he would randomly fall over) with a great first pass . Now half the time it looks like the puck is a grenade on his stick and his first pass is not as accurate as it was.

Say what you will about Carlyle but his coaching ability doesn’t cause someone’s hands to regress. That’s a physical trait, not a systems related ability. Hampus needs to hire a skills coach if he wants to take that next step.
Being good at defending is too old school.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I’m actually getting excited about this hire. Dallas seems like a genuinely quality guy who wants to have a relationship with his players , open door policy. Also Stephens wrote an article with some feedback from Mactavish on Eakins, and MacT pretty much absolved him and acknowledged that it was impossible to succeed in Edmonton. Excited to see him in Anaheim and usher in a new era.

Reactions: Kalv

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Watching Hampus talk about Eakins and repeatedly mention the “new style of coaching” and everything else that he brings to the table, and how he referred to how things had been... man Carlyle must have lived up to every terrible thing he had a reputation for.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Watching Hampus talk about Eakins and repeatedly mention the “new style of coaching” and everything else that he brings to the table, and how he referred to how things had been... man Carlyle must have lived up to every terrible thing he had a reputation for.
That Lindholm interview was the most telling I think. You definately got the sense that the team was in "everyone for themselves" mode last year. Guys weren't playing for each other. Treating the team lile family wasn't there.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I like how Hampus indirectly in code says Carlyle was a fossil that no one liked.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
From the video of Bob's thoughts on Eakins:

"He's not into analytics as much as you might think he is. There's a place for analytics in our game. It's evolving. We actually just had a brief discussion about analytics this morning. About certain things with analytics that he and I both don't like and how can we fix things to make them more matter of fact about your hockey team. Cuz they can work, if you have...it's like everything else, data in creates data coming out. So you have to put the right things in, and what do we want to put in and what do we want to get out? So analytics is a little bit of an over...it's not baseball."

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Seriously? The Gulls were regularly among PIM leaders during Eakins' AHL tenure - I'm curious where you get that this description is "known" about him.
I saw San Diego was in the top 10 in fights but I'm talking about during his tenure with Edmonton he was criticized for having his players cheap shotted without retribution. We'll how it goes

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I saw San Diego was in the top 10 in fights but I'm talking about during his tenure with Edmonton he was criticized for having his players cheap shotted without retribution. We'll how it goes

Honest question because I didn't follow Edmonton, but did they have anyone on the roster that could stand up for other guys? And was this at a point where their players cared more about their next contract than each other?

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
From the video of Bob's thoughts on Eakins:

"He's not into analytics as much as you might think he is. There's a place for analytics in our game. It's evolving. We actually just had a brief discussion about analytics this morning. About certain things with analytics that he and I both don't like and how can we fix things to make them more matter of fact about your hockey team. Cuz they can work, if you have...it's like everything else, data in creates data coming out. So you have to put the right things in, and what do we want to put in and what do we want to get out? So analytics is a little bit of an over...it's not baseball."
After hearing this, I’m confident we will see a more analytics driven approach going forward and that the man leading the charge will be adequately well-versed in it

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Found it on Zupke’s twitter of all places, but he reported that Eakins said the assistants haven’t been decided yet. That will take place in the next few days.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
I like how Hampus indirectly in code says Carlyle was a fossil that no one liked.

I just rewatched it again. That interview was damning towards Caryle. Like you said, he basically called him an archaic coach that was a complete ass towards the players. It sounds like RC didn’t even try to build any type of relationships with the players. These type of interviews make me so mad BM rehired him
In the first place.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Honest question because I didn't follow Edmonton, but did they have anyone on the roster that could stand up for other guys? And was this at a point where their players cared more about their next contract than each other?
Looking at the roster they had a pretty tough team
Enforcer Luke Gazdic
Mike Brown former duck
Ben Eager
Enforcer Mark Fraser
Matt Hendricks

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I don't think I've ever seen this kind of pure disdain for a former coach like the Oilers fans have for Eakins. It makes me want him to succeed even more.
Because Eakins is one of the last excuses they have for their terrible organisation.

If Eakins and Anaheim do well and beat Edmonton this season, they'll have no excuses left.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
That Lindholm interview was the most telling I think. You definately got the sense that the team was in "everyone for themselves" mode last year. Guys weren't playing for each other. Treating the team lile family wasn't there.
I still can't stop laughing at 25 year old Hampus talking about the "young" guys. :biglaugh: Damn do do I feel old!

Hampus should wear a letter! I wish he would be Getzlaf's heir. Incredible how well spoken he is nowadays.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I don't think I've ever seen this kind of pure disdain for a former coach like the Oilers fans have for Eakins. It makes me want him to succeed even more.

because eakins was seen as the next great NHL coach before he went into the flaming dumpster that is the oilers organization

they really think he was the reason they were so god awful during his tenure there

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Pumba appears much more mature, it`s great to see! I think we all always saw that in him. From what he told there (and the fact he was there) it seems he`s eager for success and wants himself and the team to get better. We might see him with a letter soon, he`s well spoken. But we have also Henrique and Manson on the team. Fowler will get a letter. ANYWAY. Some takeaways:

* Hampus told along the lines of:'' This and other things we are doing this offseason''. Must be Bettle hiring among other things, I`m also really happy that we adressed this - so hopefully we`ll see less injuries.
* How cool is that we are doing pressers in the Great Park Ice? Seems to be a cool venue and I`m really glad to see the Ducks expanding their infrastructure - can`t wait for the rookie camp there.
* BM told we are not gonna play chip and chase anymore. So we`ll get faster but we won`t put just emphasis on speed

They got me all excited

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad