Confirmed with Link: Ducks name Dallas Eakins head coach [Press Conference Noon PT]

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Current 4 game win streak is the longest under Eakins. A few things this season:

1. Some players finally broke out (Terry, Lundy and great start for Rico, Getzy) + full time of Zegs and Drysdale.
2. Less injuries (so far, anyway :laugh:)
3 FINALLY he got decent supporting cast. The ones he inherited he really didn't had much choice I guess

One thing I noticed is that we are finally clicking on passes, we are quicker in transition like that (especially that play Getzy broke the record – guy is at the wall, and dishing it to a bursting player), and we of course finally have an adequate PP.
I've said it before and last year the games were exciting for me, we looked ok in the 5-on-5 mostly, but the PP was like PK.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
In my world, no matter if it is football (soccer) or hockey, it may take a year or two to adjust to a new coach/system if the break is a big one. And we had a big break up. So it is cool to see Dallas turning it around. There was simply no reason why he is so successful in the AHL and can not translate it to the NHL. Imho in EDM it was a respect issue, where the "stars" behaved stupidly. When he was in our farm system, players said they would go to war for him. Now this team plays like this in the NHL. Which is good to see. Lets see how this turns out.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Btw this was another comeback win, with quite a dagger at the start of the game. This team is showing some good stuff

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
Current 4 game win streak is the longest under Eakins. A few things this season:

1. Some players finally broke out (Terry, Lundy and great start for Rico, Getzy) + full time of Zegs and Drysdale.
2. Less injuries (so far, anyway :laugh:)
3 FINALLY he got decent supporting cast. The ones he inherited he really didn't had much choice I guess

One thing I noticed is that we are finally clicking on passes, we are quicker in transition like that (especially that play Getzy broke the record – guy is at the wall, and dishing it to a bursting player), and we of course finally have an adequate PP.
I've said it before and last year the games were exciting for me, we looked ok in the 5-on-5 mostly, but the PP was like PK.
Well, less injuries to the defense, which for sure is important. Up front we have Zegras, Rakell, Jones, and Silfverberg (covid) all out, and McTavish just returned from an injury. It would be cool to not be in the top 5 for man-games lost for once. And to see what Eakins can do with a healthy team (and a new set of assistants).

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Well, less injuries to the defense, which for sure is important. Up front we have Zegras, Rakell, Jones, and Silfverberg (covid) all out, and McTavish just returned from an injury. It would be cool to not be in the top 5 for man-games lost for once. And to see what Eakins can do with a healthy team (and a new set of assistants).
Oh yeah, Eakins pointed that out as well, we are lacking 3 of top 6 (4 of top 9) players and we just beat one of the best teams in the league this season.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Everything is clicking so far for Eakins. I mean, last year was a terrible scenario with everything involved. Wasn’t even a full ‘normal’ season.

I mean, this team could be a dark horse to enter the playoffs. They could’ve won against Buffalo in OT, and if Stolarz didn’t give up that softie in Edmonton, who knows.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Everything is clicking so far for Eakins. I mean, last year was a terrible scenario with everything involved. Wasn’t even a full ‘normal’ season.

I mean, this team could be a dark horse to enter the playoffs. They could’ve won against Buffalo in OT, and if Stolarz didn’t give up that softie in Edmonton, who knows.
I feel like they could have won all but one of the games they lost.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I think the assistant coaches are doing a great job and are actually in line with Eakins style which helps. It was pointed out by someone on here that it was always strange that Eakins had Carlyle's assistants with him and I tend to agree with that. Having two guys beside him that understand up tempo offense and have an understanding of a modern powerplay are a massive, massive help to the system Eakins runs.

I truly don't think this team is much different than it was last year in terms of style and never giving up during games (I will always point to the final game against Minnesota where they came back to force OT when they had every reason to pack it in for the season) but now we have pucks going in the net and an infusion of skill from Terry's step forward, Milano/Silf looking great after recovering from their injuries and Zegras in the lineup full time. Our team shooting percentage is middle of the pack as well which I found promising, Terry's will come down but it's not like everything we're putting on the net is going in.

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
Getzy is having fun again. The last two years looked like he was trying to take a backseat to let the kids come into their game. And he really may have been just conserving himself to keep the mileage down because even the fiercest competitors lose the drive when you see there isn't much to play for. A dominant Getzlaf controlling the game will improve how any coach looks.

Terry will no doubt regress and hit a cold streak. Be interesting to see how he handles it now after having some success.

It's amazing at how largely unchanged the roster is, yet they're just playing with a different spirit so far this year. Last year going down 1-0 in the first minute would've just been demoralizing and they'd just roll over. Crazy what happens when you're actually competing and scoring goals! Finally, they're executing.

Biggest critique of Dallas is his personnel choices in some situations is baffling. Although they looked a lot worse when the team was struggling - like Comtois and Rico out to protect a 1 goal lead with an empty net despite both playing with cement skates.

ReptilianQuack

Jan 17, 2019
Vancouver
Dallas has def made some Poor choices with regards to whom is on the ice late in games.
Our new found faces helping him have had a huge impact.
There is a "believe" attitude within the club now. Id love to know how that came about .....

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
It's amazing at how largely unchanged the roster is, yet they're just playing with a different spirit so far this year. Last year going down 1-0 in the first minute would've just been demoralizing and they'd just roll over. Crazy what happens when you're actually competing and scoring goals! Finally, they're executing.

It could be just something simple like trusting the kids more (cliche). With the normalcy back this year, different matchups gives us more favorable outcomes (instead of us getting feasted on nearly every night in the Pacific)

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I’m not going to be reactionary and claim Eakins is a good coach based on his first 4 game win streak with the club. I think the assistants have had more to do with our success than anything, Eakins still has a long way to go to prove himself.

Reactions: TopShelfWaterBottle

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I’m not going to be reactionary and claim Eakins is a good coach based on his first 4 game win streak with the club. I think the assistants have had more to do with our success than anything, Eakins still has a long way to go to prove himself.
Absolutely.

But I would argue that before this season his supporting cast was ... inadequate. Without any experience.
Right now he is SUPER supported :laugh:

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Saw this bumped, thought it was a new thread and they extended him:help:

I bet he sticks around even if Murray doesn't. Assuming Murray gets kicked upstairs, the new GM would have a bullet in the chamber for Eakins if things don't go well. That's usually how it works. Scapegoat the coach to save your own job.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $370.00