Confirmed with Link: Ducks name Dallas Eakins head coach [Press Conference Noon PT]

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I'm sure it does. But I think it's obvious from reading the Athletic that it must be part of the requirements/ground rules that articles must be meatier than the crap any newspaper puts out. It's consistent across all their writers and sports. I've enjoyed reading articles not specific to the Ducks and not even specific to hockey.

I think the distinction is that the Athletic generally does not provide "game reports" (i.e., OC Register type of articles that discuss a specific plays in a game with a few general notes at the end). The athletic is very deliberate/open about that. Obviously, for significant games (e.g. playoffs), they will do that. But, as you point, the athletic is more oriented towards "analysis" pieces that have more opiniong and a broader perspective on the team or player profiles. Stephens seems to really enjoy and excel at that type of writing.

It also seems, for whatever reason, that while at the register Stephens was less inclined to speak his mind and share his inside info. He seemed far more concerned about stepping on toes or running a fowl (pun - ha) of the Ducks management. Since moving, he seems to be less restrained.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I think Stevens is still pretty tight lipped when he actually knows something, but for sure he is more opinionated since joining the Athletic. And I mean that in a good way. He shares his thoughts like most of us do.

Reactions: duckpuck
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I think Stevens is still pretty tight lipped when he actually knows something, but for sure he is more opinionated since joining the Athletic. And I mean that in a good way. He shares his thoughts like most of us do.

The idea of a Perry buyout really doesn't seem like idle speculation in retrospect, especially when he argued against it. It's why I think Stralman will be a big target, he seems to be banging that drum(including that 5 free agent speculation article that was seemingly all about him).

Although, and I dont know why I remember this, I remember him talking the same way about Mikael Samuelsson like a decade ago(and he seemed truly shocked the Ducks didn't sign him), which obviously didn't happen.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

I just learned that the first person Teemu congratulates after he set the rookie record is Dallas Eakins. Eakins got hit with that falling (famous) glove
Teemu, Randy and Eakins were all teammates with the Winnipeg Jets in 92/93

Old boys' club confirmed..? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Kalv

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014

I just learned that the first person Teemu congratulates after he set the rookie record is Dallas Eakins. Eakins got hit with that falling (famous) glove

Rad history lesson thanks KALV

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

Wow thats amazing.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
It looks like both main assistants are staying on and the third (what did he do?) is out.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Ducks coach Dallas Eakins reaching out to veteran players to forge bonds – Orange County Register

Max Jones, a 21-year-old left wing, played 43 games for Eakins last season in San Diego. Their bond didn’t begin last season, but during their first developmental camp together after the Ducks selected Jones on the first round of the 2016 draft (24th overall).
“I always felt close to him because he always took his time to talk to me and see how I was doing,” Jones said. “You want to win for the coach. I think that’s what we had in San Diego, because everyone wanted to win, and they wanted to win for Dallas, because he was such a great guy, a great coach. We all respected him so much. Him getting this job, we were all really excited.
“We were hoping it was going to happen.”

To me, that last sentence confirms he's the right guy

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
I could have put this in the prospect camp thread, but I decided to put it here since it's more relevant. I attended the Q&A session with Eakins that took place after the practice/scrimmage ended. It was about half-an-hour and was not that eventful (in particular, many including myself wanted to know what he learned from his failure in Edmonton and how he would incorporate it here, but that was not asked by moderator Kent French), but there were some highlights, including:

FRANKIE "BOOM BOOM" BEAUCH RETURNS! He was confirmed as being on Eakins' staff as an assistant, not sure as to what his official duties are but I am excited that he will be around the organization

He's very close to many of the young players, comparing it to a father-son relationship in terms of the pride he feels when they graduated to the NHL. Also said he's going to give the guys freedom to be themselves to a degree (e.g. doesn't care about what they wear, all guys have their own fashion sense)

"The guys are not going to care about what I know until they know that I care." This has to be the main reason he was hired, to build those interpersonal relationships with guys in addition to the rapport he already had with many of the top prospects. Already had a long lunch with Getzlaf earlier this week after an initial phone call, in fact, he was headed to the airport after this to go meet with Rakell and Silfverberg in Sweden and will circle back and meet with Gibby and his wife in Pittsburgh.

Not much in the way of roster specifics as he was asked about his powerplay and his 4th line, but did talk about how they ran many different systems on the PP last year in San Diego and were successful.

Did get into his philosophy a bit: talked about the importance of playing a speed-based games and how shorter shifts (i.e. 30 seconds instead of 45) plays a part in that. Talked about the importance of playing with pace and how that's not necessarily all about foot speed but knowing where the puck is going to be ahead of time. But most importantly, talked with Bob about how this team needs to recapture their identity of being hard to play against.

Also, Kent French asked him about the Selanne celebration since he "did some research" (aka, he scouted this board and read @Kalv's observation about it). Eakins chalked it up to some questionable coaching with him being on the ice with Teemu and called that his Forrest Gump moment with him being in the shot.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
He's very close to many of the young players, comparing it to a father-son relationship in terms of the pride he feels when they graduated to the NHL. Also said he's going to give the guys freedom to be themselves to a degree (e.g. doesn't care about what they wear, all guys have their own fashion sense)
For a guy who was criticized for kind of being a helicopter coach in Edmonton, I don't necessarily love this.

Reactions: Doothpick
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
What's that?
I don't know if that particular term has ever been used before but here's the analogy.
Helicopter parent - Wikipedia
A helicopter parent (also called a cosseting parent or simply a cosseter)[1] is a parent who pays extremely close attention to a child's or children's experiences and problems, particularly at educational institutions. Helicopter parents are so named because, like helicopters, they "hover overhead", overseeing every aspect of their child's life constantly.

Reactions: anezthes

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
For a guy who was criticized for kind of being a helicopter coach in Edmonton, I don't necessarily love this.
He wasn’t so much a helicopter parent as much as the controlling domineering parent. He wasn’t trying to protect them from the world, we was allegedly trying to make sure every aspect of their life was under his control.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
I could have put this in the prospect camp thread, but I decided to put it here since it's more relevant. I attended the Q&A session with Eakins that took place after the practice/scrimmage ended. It was about half-an-hour and was not that eventful (in particular, many including myself wanted to know what he learned from his failure in Edmonton and how he would incorporate it here, but that was not asked by moderator Kent French), but there were some highlights, including:

FRANKIE "BOOM BOOM" BEAUCH RETURNS! He was confirmed as being on Eakins' staff as an assistant, not sure as to what his official duties are but I am excited that he will be around the organization

"The guys are not going to care about what I know until they know that I care." This has to be the main reason he was hired, to build those interpersonal relationships with guys in addition to the rapport he already had with many of the top prospects. Already had a long lunch with Getzlaf earlier this week after an initial phone call, in fact, he was headed to the airport after this to go meet with Rakell and Silfverberg in Sweden and will circle back and meet with Gibby and his wife in Pittsburgh.

Not much in the way of roster specifics as he was asked about his powerplay and his 4th line, but did talk about how they ran many different systems on the PP last year in San Diego and were successful.

Did get into his philosophy a bit: talked about the importance of playing a speed-based games and how shorter shifts (i.e. 30 seconds instead of 45) plays a part in that. Talked about the importance of playing with pace and how that's not necessarily all about foot speed but knowing where the puck is going to be ahead of time. But most importantly, talked with Bob about how this team needs to recapture their identity of being hard to play against.

Also, Kent French asked him about the Selanne celebration since he "did some research" (aka, he scouted this board and read @Kalv's observation about it). Eakins chalked it up to some questionable coaching with him being on the ice with Teemu and called that his Forrest Gump moment with him being in the shot.
Thank you for this. As for the bolded, these kind of questions may have a better chance of being asked by the moderator if they are worded a little differently, e.g. "what he learned fom his time (instead of failure) in Edmonton." (Or maybe that's exactly how you tried to ask it and only said "failure" here.)

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Eakins has publicly addressed some of what went wrong, his mistakes and what he learned. It's understandable the Ducks didn't want to be rehashing that at a public event.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I like that they’re doing this but nothing too revealing at least in episode 1.

Edit - except that the Eakins family has an Acura crossover

Last edited:
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Can someone PLEASE gif Dallas Eakins during the intros the first game when he gave the thumbs up. It will be so useful this season lol

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Found this one of Eakins starring as Dr. Who
giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->