Ducks have been better than expected Pacific Division Winner and reach WCF

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
I came late to check this thread out. Didn't realize it was a Leaf love in.

I am an Oiler fan but do you Leaf f**kers ever consider anything beyond yourself?
Last time I checked the Ducks, an expansion team, won a cup when I was alive. Toronto did too, when I was 2. I'm 51. You guys are actually hassling them for flaming out in the playoffs?!! That would be the same as us doing it!!

You. Are. Pathetic.

Leaf fans do this. Talk like some sort of authority on everything but have accomplished nothing.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
So this thread was originally started because Leaf fans had ragged on Randy Carlyle as a poor coach. This thread was premature to show they were first place in the NHL's worst division 5 weeks into the season. The Ducks are now struggling horribly:
So, about those Ducks ...

They have lost 5 of their last 7

Held to 1 or fewer goals in 5 of those games.

This time of year is exactly when the Leafs always had their collapses under Randy Carlyle. His teams fall apart in the second half of the season.

Maybe Leaf fans were right?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Leaf fans do this. Talk like some sort of authority on everything but have accomplished nothing.

BTW, I've never seen the Leafs in the finals in my lifetime, does that mean I know less than a fan who has seen their team in the finals or win a cup? I don't understand this nonsense.

Hab fans don't even know then by that regard. Many on here were not even born when they won in 93', and even if they're old enough to remember, the league has completely changed 180 in how you build a winner than 24 years ago.

Any hockey fan should know you follow the Blackhawks way in the cap era to try to win. And you do not need to be a Hawks fan to know that.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
So this thread was originally started because Leaf fans had ragged on Randy Carlyle as a poor coach. This thread was premature to show they were first place in the NHL's worst division 5 weeks into the season. The Ducks are now struggling horribly:

This time of year is exactly when the Leafs always had their collapses under Randy Carlyle. His teams fall apart in the second half of the season.

You might not realize it, or may not understand why, but you necro'ing this 4 month old thread is pretty much exactly why HFboards despises the Leafs, and their fans.

The last time I checked it was the Atlantic division that was the weakest division (by far), and Anaheim was still ahead of the leafs....who are also coincidentally 3-5-2 in their last 10gp....

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Ducks fans know what they have and most aren't happy with him. But the collapses didn't happen in Anaheim, normally this team went on surges in the second half of the year under Carlyle after playing poorly to start the year.

The recent struggles have more to do with the scheduling than anything. The Ducks are what they are, a mediocre team. They went on a hot streak beating a bunch of bad teams and now the schedule is slightly harder they're having trouble putting up wins. It's nothing to do with what time of the year it is.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
You know you're probably a pretty decent team when you're 4th in your conference and considered struggling horribly.

They just beat Buffalo who were red hot at home. Then they got down 3 to Washington, by far the best team so far this season, and ended up losing a squeaker. Then they went into Minnesota and beat the best team in the conference. Then they came home and lost the first game after a road trip which is pretty common, they did get 36 shots though.

They're a good home team and play 5 of their next 7 at home, expect them to rack up some wins.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Ducks fans know what they have and most aren't happy with him. But the collapses didn't happen in Anaheim, normally this team went on surges in the second half of the year under Carlyle after playing poorly to start the year.

The recent struggles have more to do with the scheduling than anything. The Ducks are what they are, a mediocre team. They went on a hot streak beating a bunch of bad teams and now the schedule is slightly harder they're having trouble putting up wins. It's nothing to do with what time of the year it is.

Yeah because there was a ton of talent. The team is not that good now and Carlyle can't get a team to overachieve based on talent.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
You might not realize it, or may not understand why, but you necro'ing this 4 month old thread is pretty much exactly why HFboards despises the Leafs, and their fans.

The last time I checked it was the Atlantic division that was the weakest division (by far), and Anaheim was still ahead of the leafs....who are also coincidentally 3-5-2 in their last 10gp....

Oh give me a break buddy. This thread was made prematurely and it was to prove Leafs fans wrong. It was obnoxious. The OP was jumping the gun and many non Leaf fans called him on it in this very thread (Just read it, you'll see, many Ducks fans hated it. It was originally titled the Ducks are in 1st place. ).

Leaf fans posted stats to show Carlyle is a poor possession coach. That was the main argument. The last post was November of 2016'. Threads much older than that are bumped all the time here. So spare me the "This Is Why People Hate The Leafs" argument.

Last edited:

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Oh give me a break buddy. This thread was made prematurely and it was to prove Leafs fans wrong. It was obnoxious. The OP was jumping the gun and many non Leaf fans called him on it in this very thread (Just read it, you'll see, many Ducks fans hated it. It was originally titled the Ducks are in 1st place. ).

Leaf fans posted stats to show Carlyle is a poor possession coach. That was the main argument. The last post was November of 2016'. Threads much older than that are bumped all the time here. So spare me the "This Is Why People Hate The Leafs" argument.

yah its fine the ducks are only 10 points up on a playoff spot and they are going through a tough stretch. they had a few games where they deserved better luck. they aren't the same team as years past. I'm impressed with their grit this year. like I would blame any leafs coach with that gong show of a team in the last few years. I'm glad they are finally icing a better team.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

Ducks are still in a playoff spot we are not that great at forward and our best goal scorer sucks at goal scoring this season. Considering the position we are still in is better then expected based off what a lot of people (not just Maple Leafs fans) had been saying we should be lower in the the standings. Even if we just miss the playoffs that is still better then what I had heard about how people think the Ducks would do I heard them expecting Ducks to be a bottom team.

Even at the time the Ducks had been better then expect. Sure talking about it might not of been that great thing to do but the point was made and was correct because we shouldn't of been in the position we had been at the time.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
hey maybe not winning the division is the key to success in the playoffs

i think they'll still get in but getting out of the first round would be a surprise

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Yeah because there was a ton of talent. The team is not that good now and Carlyle can't get a team to overachieve based on talent.

How does talent dictate what time of the year a team wins their games. That second sentence doesn't make sense either.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

He's not a poor possession coach this season. He's a poor coach in general but the Ducks are a middle of the pack team in terms of possession - 15th in score adjusted corsi, 14th in score adjusted fenwick. And this is despite Perry being a possession black hole who (seriously, the team may as well be penalty killing most of the time he is on the ice) is still often playing 15+ ES minutes a night

Ducks fans biggest issues with Carlyle is that he still thinks enforcers are relevant, he ignores his 4th line (and overplays Getzlaf and Kesler because of this) and he doesn't hold certain veterans (Perry and Bieksa) accountable for their terrible on ice play.

With a few lineup adjustments that Carlyle is too stubborn to make I think the Ducks would be a better team.

83to48

May 6, 2007
On The Halfboards

Why are you so ******** over nothing? if we tell you your right will you crawl back into your hole for us please

Win Jiggys Loft

Jun 16, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
We'll get in to the playoffs barely, but I'd be shocked if they went anywhere after that. Hell, just winning a Game 7 at home would be a major accomplishment for this team. Maybe we can have a parade for that. :shakehead:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
We'll get in to the playoffs barely, but I'd be shocked if they went anywhere after that. Hell, just winning a Game 7 at home would be a major accomplishment for this team. Maybe we can have a parade for that. :shakehead:

Well if we get in we're likely playing Edmonton and as good as McDavid is I don't see the Oilers being a particularly tough playoff matchup just yet. Maybe in a couple of years but their blueline is still suspect and they're very inexperienced.

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Well if we get in we're likely playing Edmonton and as good as McDavid is I don't see the Oilers being a particularly tough playoff matchup just yet. Maybe in a couple of years but their blueline is still suspect and they're very inexperienced.

The feeling is mutual. Anaheim doesn't have the forward depth to match Edm's IMO. Also, Edm blueline is suspect? You do realize Bieska in your top 6 right :laugh: and Vatanen, Lindholm have regressed this season imo
Talbot vs Gibson is a wash
Mclellan can out-coach Carlyle with ease

Win Jiggys Loft

Jun 16, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The feeling is mutual. Anaheim doesn't have the forward depth to match Edm's IMO. Also, Edm blueline is suspect? You do realize Bieska in your top 6 right :laugh: and Vatanen, Lindholm have regressed this season imo
Talbot vs Gibson is a wash
Mclellan can out-coach Carlyle with ease

Don't remind me about Bieksa. But hey, Carlyle has out coached Mclellan before :laugh:

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg

The inexperience is very well what could do us in. Getzlaf and Perry are nowhere near as effective as they once were, but they've obviously had their share of post-season success and know what it takes to win. I would not want to underrate those two coming into the playoffs.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
The inexperience is very well what could do us in. Getzlaf and Perry are nowhere near as effective as they once were, but they've obviously had their share of post-season success and know what it takes to win. I would not want to underrate those two coming into the playoffs.

oilers are far better then the last decade. they have a massive, heavy hitting team. they will probably be alright come the playoffs but I agree inexperience is the largest factor for them.

93Ducks

Go Ducks
May 15, 2010
The Ducks, much like any other team are going to struggle at points over the course of a season. I also think they have a weaker team then they've had in recent years and am not expecting them to go deep. We'll see how Carlyle handles the team in the playoffs though.

Unnecessary bump of a thread IMO. Seems like strange post-Carlyle salt.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

No. You look foolish for bumping it. The Ducks are still firmly in a playoff spot, and have been all year long. They are average in possesion and Corsi. You proved nothing at all.

You literally had to wait the entire season for this moment to bump the thread (lost 5 of 7), and it's hardly as dramatic as your making it sound.

For the record, I don't even like the Ducks. Im just a casual observer seeing this thread for the first time, and just pointing out how absurdly petty this bump is.

Last edited:

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

Well he's right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad