Confirmed with Link: Ducks extend Adam Henrique

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
was expecting 5.5 on a 6 or 7 year deal. Not surprised BM went for a shorter term with slightly higher AAV.

This is key.

At $5.8, that's $0.3 mil AAV more. Over the five year extension, that's only an additional $1.5 mil. Whereas if we paid him $5.5 mil for 6 years, that's an additional $5.5 mil; if we paid him $5.5 mil for 7 years, then that's an additional $11 mil. I'm cool with an overpayment of $1.5 mil that ends six years from now, where he'll be 34 years old. I'm quite fine with a shorter term and then go on one-year deals if he's still performing well at age 34.

Reactions: Vipers31
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
This is probably my favorite thing about GMBM since signing Bieksa. Even though we might question his signings, he seems to be much more conscientious of the future and not hamstringing himself w/ NMC/NTC anymore.

Yeah, even though hes given some out they're mostly good. Eaves and Cogs have barely anything, Miller has a strong one but you're not trading him anyway. Fowler's is the only one that could cause issues but there was no avoiding that one, I'm surprised it's as flexible as it is.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
This kicks in after next season. The cap will be clearly over 80m. It is a moveable contract on a medium term. How is this something to complain about?
It kicking in after next season makes it worse for me, means he's a year older and we pay him a year longer. Reminds me of Kesler. I didn't say it was bad, I said it wasn't great. Which it isn't. At best, it's market value, which is fine. But not "great".

Where are you getting that the cap will clearly be over 80M? And where are you getting that it matters for our owners?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
It's definitely not as bad as the Kesler/Cam contracts. This isn't going to prevent us from doing anything. Further, I think Henrique's game has a good chance of aging well. Still not sold he'll be worth it when he's 33+ though

Reactions: Paul4587

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Didn't know Cams contact is a bad one now. Sure, it is not a discounted one but bad?

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Guy with a good head and vision on the ice, which is in high demand for us imo.

Can play in all situations, and is a good guy.....

I’m a fan of this

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The Seattle expansion fee will help with these contracts and hopefully with our owners. They have been spending though, I have to give them credit.

Also, the cap going up is tied to league revenue also going up.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I dig it. More money than most folks would have liked, but that's how things are going to go with the cap going up and contracts getting more expensive each year. He fills a lot of holes this team has and was a key reason for Kase success last season. If Ritchie can take that next step, Ritchie-Rico-Kase line will be good.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
It kicking in after next season makes it worse for me, means he's a year older and we pay him a year longer. Reminds me of Kesler. I didn't say it was bad, I said it wasn't great. Which it isn't. At best, it's market value, which is fine. But not "great".

Where are you getting that the cap will clearly be over 80M? And where are you getting that it matters for our owners?
I don't get the Kesler comparison personally. Kesler signed an extension that kicked in for his age 32 season and has him under contract through his age 37 season, Henrique's deal kicks in for his age 29 season and has him under contract through his age 33 season (turns 34 near the end of that season).

I do agree that it's not a great deal (as you said it's market value) in the sense there is no discount but I don't see how it could remind you of Kesler apart from them both being centers as the contract situations aren't anything alike IMO.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I don't get the Kesler comparison personally. Kesler signed an extension that kicked in for his age 32 season and has him under contract through his age 37 season, Henrique's deal kicks in for his age 29 season and has him under contract through his age 33 season (turns 34 near the end of that season).

I do agree that it's not a great deal (as you said it's market value) in the sense there is no discount but I don't see how it could remind you of Kesler apart from them both being centers as the contract situations aren't anything alike IMO.
I do admit Kesler is not a great comparison, as he was a lot older

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Not as bad as those deals.
Maybe just the fact that it's a lower cap hit than those makes it less "bad" (I'm not saying any of those are bad, per se), but all three were guys I wanted to see some measure of team discount for and ended up closer to market value. That's not bad, just a little bigger commitment than would have been comfortable given how this team operates.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010

I agree , and considering we moved Vats for him, I’d assume he was a guy we wanted to keep long term?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Didn't know Cams contact is a bad one now. Sure, it is not a discounted one but bad?
My issue with the Cam contract is we either needed to get him to take less years, get him to take less money, or get him to not have the NTC. Murray gave him all 3...

It’s far from the worst contract in the league, hell it’s not even bottom 2 worst on the team, but I think his agent did very well for him

Reactions: Paul4587

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
This contract is well below UFA market value though, it just isn't as amazing as Bob's re-signings usually are.

Paul Stastny is three or four years older with the same point production but far less goal production and he got 6.5 a year. I know, the two year deal probably inflated the average, but still. If Henrique made it to UFA he would be making far, far more than 5.8 on the deal he signed.

Nick Bonino is a sub 40 point player and he makes over four a year and that's under last year's cap number.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
We can't sign everyone to a sweetheart deal like Rakell. Any team in the league would take Rakell and Henrique at 9.6m a season combined.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
This contract is well below UFA market value though, it just isn't as amazing as Bob's re-signings usually are.

Paul Stastny is three or four years older with the same point production but far less goal production and he got 6.5 a year. I know, the two year deal probably inflated the average, but still. If Henrique made it to UFA he would be making far, far more than 5.8 on the deal he signed.

Nick Bonino is a sub 40 point player and he makes over four a year and that's under last year's cap number.
The contracts @alcolol posted earlier on in the thread would leave me to believe this is about market value. Which isn’t a knock on Bm. Like you said, Stastny got more because he took 2 years

Reactions: alcolol

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
My issue with the Cam contract is we either needed to get him to take less years, get him to take less money, or get him to not have the NTC. Murray gave him all 3...

It’s far from the worst contract in the league, hell it’s not even bottom 2 worst on the team, but I think his agent did very well for him
You could argue that NTC is almost a NMC (without AHL demotion protection) for Fowler too with it being a 4 team trade list - that might be the thing I hate the most about that deal as it really handicaps Anaheim if they did want to move him down the track - and with the term and money he got I'm not sure he needed to have such a restrictive NTC.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
I dig it. More money than most folks would have liked, but that's how things are going to go with the cap going up and contracts getting more expensive each year. He fills a lot of holes this team has and was a key reason for Kase success last season. If Ritchie can take that next step, Ritchie-Rico-Kase line will be good.
With how young Ritchie and Kase are that most likely will be the 2nd line for years to come

Reactions: dracom

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The contracts @alcolol posted earlier on in the thread would leave me to believe this is about market value. Which isn’t a knock on Bm. Like you said, Stastny got more because he took 2 years
I think I would disagree. Two of those guys are wingers and the others either got more term or more money despite signing their deals earlier.

I would fully expect Henrique to get 6.5 over 5 if he went to UFA. Maybe not though, could be wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad