Confirmed with Link: Ducks extend Adam Henrique

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
We can't sign everyone to a sweetheart deal like Rakell. Any team in the league would take Rakell and Henrique at 9.6m a season combined.
I don't see the connection here. Rakell + (insert any other contract) still probably makes that statement true.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Yeah a touch high for my liking, the term is the issue. Even if the cap goes up we will be paying almost $6M for 4 years of another guy over 30.

That said it’s not horrific. Hopefully he ages well and keeps putting up 50+ points.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
I'll agree with the consensus.. a little higher than I would've liked and maybe a year longer, but oh well.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
For me, gotta give some props to the Samuelis. We’ve been over the old budget and while I’m confused by some of the murray moves out owners have spent more than I would have expected a few years ago

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Like I said im perfectly okay with it, hes going to have to take up a bigger role this year... and maybe going forward(pending kesler)… hes a good org guy, does a lot for the city/charities/fans etc... anything less than 6 was fine in my book. The other thing is he signed 5 instead of 7-8 so he likely asked for a lil more money to take 5 years rather than 7/8

He plays in all 3 zones, and can play on the PP and PK... and a leader by his actions on the ice, and out of the rink.

I like having guys like him and cogliano around when we starting putting young players in the line up, because they are great professional athletes and people.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
For me, gotta give some props to the Samuelis. We’ve been over the old budget and while I’m confused by some of the murray moves out owners have spent more than I would have expected a few years ago
Didn't that have more to do with the expansion teams coming in?

Reactions: pbgoalie

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
The connection is that they're Bobs last 2 signings aren't they?

Edit: re-signings
I think Fowler was between them. In any case, it just seemed like an odd way to evaluate this on its own merit, but I get the general idea that these things will average out somewhat over time. Bob will squeeze the leverage he has to death against the younger or less proven guys he signs, then have to give it up to the established guys to keep them here. And in this case, he had as close to zero leverage as there is, especially with Kesler's situation and the high demand for centers around the league right now (plus cap going up this season, etc.). I'm not thrilled, but don't hate it either, I wish we had a clearer idea of the team's short term goals right now, to put each move Bob makes into perspective.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Didn't that have more to do with the expansion teams coming in?
Sure....but they still spent.....nobody would have been surprised if they stuck to internal budget, but they have moved north of a budget.....
I don’t expect or demand someone else spend their money (not saying you do either),but I’m pretty content with what our owners have done spending wise

Again, less so with Carlyle and some gmBM moves

QuackinQuaker

Jul 16, 2018
Do you guys think Henrique wears an A this year?

I would think it's close to a guarantee.. With Perry's regression and Kesler's injury concerns, both A's might change this year. I would honestly remove Perry's A and give it to Henrique ASAP, but I don't see that happening while Perry is still wearing a Duck uniform. I would also easily put Henrique in front of Fowler for the A, but I would put Cogs over Fowler too. We all know Fowler wore the A during Getzlaf's injury so we know Carlyle has Fowler above Cogs in that category..

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

I would think it's close to a guarantee.. With Perry's regression and Kesler's injury concerns, both A's might change this year. I would honestly remove Perry's A and give it to Henrique ASAP, but I don't see that happening while Perry is still wearing a Duck uniform. I would also easily put Henrique in front of Fowler for the A, but I would put Cogs over Fowler too. We all know Fowler wore the A during Getzlaf's injury so we know Carlyle has Fowler above Cogs in that category..

Bruce did too, Fowlers the pretty obvious next guy in line to get a letter, cant see that changing, and a really good bet it happens this fall. It's possibly not stopping at an A with him, either.

I suppose he could if Kesler's done and they take it from Perry, but I dunno where Rico would slide in.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I don't get it. Our window is closed these are the kinds of contracts we should avoid

Completely disagree. These are the type of contract you sign. Not every contract is about the lowest AAV. When the window is closed it’s contracts like Perry/Kesler that kill you with NMC’s. Those are the ones that prevent you from rebuilding.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009

Seems very likely that Fowler will wear the letter at some point in his career and quite possibly the C. To me he seems like a leader. He leads our defense for sure. When Hampus is out it certainly sucks but when Fowler is out our entire d corps looks in shambles.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
I think Fowler was between them. In any case, it just seemed like an odd way to evaluate this on its own merit, but I get the general idea that these things will average out somewhat over time. Bob will squeeze the leverage he has to death against the younger or less proven guys he signs, then have to give it up to the established guys to keep them here. And in this case, he had as close to zero leverage as there is, especially with Kesler's situation and the high demand for centers around the league right now (plus cap going up this season, etc.). I'm not thrilled, but don't hate it either, I wish we had a clearer idea of the team's short term goals right now, to put each move Bob makes into perspective.

Yeah my point was that we win some and we lose some. Not that I think this is much of a "loss".

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Barring a Perry trade the letters will be Getz Perry and Fowler. Cogs realistically should have one but they’re not going to strip Perry while he’s still here and for some reason they love Fowler as the next guy with a letter.

I would personally go with Getz Cogs and Manson but that’s just me.

Reactions: TesseracT

QuackinQuaker

Jul 16, 2018
Bruce did too, Fowlers the pretty obvious next guy in line to get a letter, cant see that changing, and a really good bet it happens this fall. It's possibly not stopping at an A with him, either.

I suppose he could if Kesler's done and they take it from Perry, but I dunno where Rico would slide in.

The thing is, there was no way Henrique would get the A immediately after the trade. There was no debate to be made then that Henrique should get it over Fowler.. But now that he’s been on the team for almost a full season, do you put him above Fowler?

So much has been said about Henrique’s character and he already has 3(?) years experience wearing the A in NJ.. To me, that’s what puts him above Fowler. On the other hand, I do see the benefit of having a defenseman with one of the letters, but is that enough to put Fowler over Henrique? Fowler over Perry? Easily, but Henrique just seems like the perfect candidate for an A.

As Paul said above, if Manson keeps going as he’s going, I could see him with an A some day too. It would probably take a lot to put him in front of Fowler though.. (In the organizations eyes.)

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
given that our window is closing I'm happy we kept the term shorter that way if we make a rebound we wont be saddled with a bad contract. I'd rather take the larger aav hit and benefit from less term. That also makes him a more valuable asset to trade in the future.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
henrique seems like an awesome locker room guy and he is solid 5 on 5, pk, pp. capable of handling 2c and any wing position, and hes not that old. not a bad deal.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Let's not forget this gives NJ a third round pick.

It doesn't matter. Henrique for 5 years is >>>> a 3rd. I don't understand how this can be labled as a bad contract by any means. Even if the window of the team cloeses the Ducks will never be a full tanking team by order. The risk going through a Oilers like periode is way to high. And I think this is fine. Maybe this team is stuck in the middle it is a good way of running a franchise. You don't have to tank to get good players. Henrique will be a great go-to guy for Terry and Steel, imho way better than Getzlaf. Cogs has been mentioned before. I still believe this team lacked some sort of leadership in the top end during the close years - Getzy and Perry in particular. I also think Folwer is not the right guy to lead. Therefore I'm thankful for guys like Henrique being around for longer. He got a contract worth around 7.2% of the CAP which is exactely what Derek Brassard got in 14/15. It is hard to call it bad. It isn't a discount either but UFA will hardly take one considering the tax situation in SoCal. For me this is the biggest imbalnace in the league, to have financial limitations that're not considering it. Tampa can sign Henrique for 5m and he gets the same after taxes. Over the total sum they can sign one elite player more. So all in all, there is nothing to complain about this contract. Like I said before, it is only mid-term, it's movable and it is market value. Plus it is even balanced without signing bonuses, means, Henrique is fully taking the risk when a potential lockout is around. Other contract - Hampus for instance - recongise that year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad