Post-Game Talk: Ducks def. Canucks - 7-4 (Pearson, Pettersson, Garland, Hughes)

Would you rather fight 1 whale or 1000 ducks?

• Total voters

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
he's only expensive because the past GM screwed up the cap and he seems that way

Tampa has like 4 players make more than him, so does toronto

Pettersson’s next contract will be massive! He’s really not worth what he makes now let alone his next deal. I’m not against keeping him but he’s not untouchable for me.

Reactions: B-rock

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I like the candid answers from BB and JR. They don't sugar coat things or have a warped sense of reality.

Nothing worse than watching Travis green post game after the team plays like shit. "I thought we played good today. We did a lot of good things"

"They're a really good team over there."

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Holy Moly who knew Burroughs was that important!!! Once again team had a ghastly start and overall the thing was a real stinker. Going to happen but really continuation of recent down trend. Defensive play was brutal and zero offense when it counted - not a good combination to get results.

Decent

Lammikko line - by far the best line and real contrast, in terms of effort and effectiveness, with the many others that mailed it in. Love their work ethic and some of the others should hand over some their big bucks to them. Team must keep Motte. He's like Tanev. You do not lose heart and soul players like him to keep around some of the supposed offensively talented do nothings. Motte is twice to three times the player Boeser is. Build around people like Motte in terms of work rate and attitude

Garland - another keeper. Never gives less than his best and was one of the few going in this game.

Pettersson - finding his mojo and working hard. Might as well reunite the Lotto line and see if Miller can again work well with Pettersson.

Bad

Defense - took turns in looking incompetent. Meyers has regressed and not picking his spots well to attack and getting clumsy around his net. OEL and Hughes both had huge coverage problems. Looks like the covid sit out caught up with Hughes although did start to come on in the late going. Best of the dmen was probably Schenn but even he got caught flat footed at times.

Horvat - ugh. Has the stamina of a pregnant cow. Couple of strides then coast. Then couple more and then stop for a rest. Just agonizing watching him get to the bench for a line change. (and more and more creating opportunities opening up for opponents during his changes as well as near causing too many men penalties). And that doesn't get into the real problem - changing directions. I have to figure he is hurt or something b/c he has never been this bad. That said, if he can't play right now, so there is no way he should be considered for special teams where he is only proving how especially bad he is.

Miller - showed ok on some shifts and out with total baggage but some foolish and selfish penalties and per usual some ill considered passes. Look frustrated.

Boeser - did he play??? Absolute slug. Must be dealt to avoid overpayment (unless some other accommodation can be made). Stunk in this game.

Others

Dickinson - had maybe his best period of the year in the third. Wasn't anything particularly good but at least he was more in the play. Of course that was in garbage time with the Ducks just playing out the string.

Math and present play dictate that team has to be looking beyond the playoffs and shaping things for the future. Trades need to be made and management shouldn't be waiting too long and missing out on possible deals.

Last edited:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
It's time to seriously start talking about trading him. Like, not even kicking tires anymore.

Yeah.

I am so f***ing over this team. I loved Horvat, Boeser, Petey in their rookie seasons, but I'm just so done with this. I'm so done. I'll give Petey an off-season to hopefully sort things out, but everyone else can go, please. The sooner the better.

At one time the thought of potentially trading Horvat seriously hurt, now I don't think I'd feel in a small amount of pain.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I like the candid answers from BB and JR. They don't sugar coat things or have a warped sense of reality.

Nothing worse than watching Travis green post game after the team plays like shit. "I thought we played good today. We did a lot of good things"
i agree there are ways to put people on notice and say things in generalizations without throwing individuals under the bus.

Bruce has been a breath of fresh air so far in he's not afraid to say what needs to be said

Reactions: geebaan

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Pettersson’s next contract will be massive! He’s really not worth what he makes now let alone his next deal. I’m not against keeping him but he’s not untouchable for me.

His play will reflect that. His QO will be a little over 7m. That's less AAV then he makes now. If he's getting more than that he's earned it.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
Every single game you could win money on betting on at least one floater making it through him, was infuriating. Unreal how he's turned things around. Goalies make no sense

I don’t think it’s rocket science. He doesn’t trust our D so he’s always cheating in some way because he knows we suck.

With the flames he can purely concentrate on making the first save and not think ahead to his 5th save.

Basically because we lick and they don’t.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
I’m not confident that Pettersson is the right guy to build around, points aren’t everything. I want a cup and I don’t see Pettersson as a player that can drive the team to a cup. I know this isn’t a popular opinion but I believe we need a blow up and rebuild the team. Benning put together a horrible mix of players here and I don’t think it’s salvageable.

He was a beast in his rookie year and bubble playoffs. So he has potential.

Unfortunately, it looks like we messed up his development somewhere and I agree. We should build around someone else now and just blow it up.

That’s why we can’t ruin Hughes at any cost and first priority is finding him his long term partner before we ruin him too.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Horvat's toe drags are going to kill me. They are so infuriating.
He had a goal during the covid playoffs that was ridiculous with two toe drags, and he has been doing them every attacking shift since for the past 2 seasons.

They are the most inefficient move because he fails at them probably 96% of the time. They are inefficient for most players.
1) odd man rush the other way
2) Defense are usually caught in a change

Last edited:

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
Bad

Boeser - did he play??? Absolute slug. Must be dealt to avoid overpayment (unless some other accommodation can be made). Stunk in this game.

Boeser has been just terrible. Made some of his beautiful passes to no one this game. He's just a ghost out there. For a pretty big guy, he doesn't hit a thing. He just doesn't seem to have any level of compete.

Horvat is usually better, but he's been really poor as well. For a team leader he needs to be doing *something*. Hit, work, anything. He finally has some decent regular line-mates (including Boeser in here for now) and is creating nothing.

When you watch Miller, even in one of his mediocre games like tonight, he still lays people out along the boards, wins battles and sets up some plays. He can't be the only one doing these things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad