Post-Game Talk: Ducks def. Canucks - 7-4 (Pearson, Pettersson, Garland, Hughes)

Would you rather fight 1 whale or 1000 ducks?

• Total voters

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
bo horvat was dogshit tonight. trade him. full house of fans and they lay a goose egg and come out flat in the first 10 mins. unacceptable

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Horvat is not a leader.

He's the exact opposite of a leader and if it's not obvious on the ice, just listen to him speak.. sounds like he's reading from a script.. no personality at all. Might be why he's struggling more than ever. The burden is too much for a soft tweener with no personality. It would be like Mason Raymond trying to lead a team.

Last edited:

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
He's the exact opposite of a leader and if it's not obvious on the ice, just listen to him speak.. sounds like he's reading from a script.. no personality at all. Might be why he's struggling more than ever. The burden is too much for a soft tweener with no personality. It would be like Mason Raymond trying to lead a team.

I think it is just another realization of no playoffs.
Just being apart of failing organization, he seems like an intense guy that wants to be competing.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
It's really a shame that Hoglander and Podkolzin have been relied upon to be big pieces for this team this year. They have struggled but if it helps their long term development then stay the course and play them lots in good situations from here out to build their games. 2 quality kids and assets that need guidance to maximize their potential. It should be the focus of this huge group of managers to see to it

Pettersson looking much better as of late has been massive. When he departs this off season it better be with a much better appreciation for how tough a league this is and how hard he needs to work to be a star player like the Sedins did. He's a quality top6 C. Let him mature and work with him. He cares

Horvat they 100% should be trying to move to a contender. He either has Covid long haul or he's about to become overpaid 3rd line C. He's been poor for awhile outside of a hot streak here and there and a nice run in the 2019/20 bubble. He leeched points off a hot PP a couple years back and its no longer propping up his lackluster 5v5 play. The shame is with his frame he sucks around the net and defensively. If he was stronger in those areas i would be more bullish to just let it ride to help whoever the next top6 C is. Unless something is going on that he can rebound from they should try and sell before he takes that step back and they have to commit top6 money with term

Miller as good as he is and as painful as it will be probably needs to go. Can't honestly see why he would want to stay anymore. His career is wasting away on a poor team and had heard earlier this year he was getting pissed at the efforts and battle levels of the young guys. Sucks but he should bring back quality assets. Of course i would entertain keeping him as he and Pettersson would be a formidable 1-2 if they could sort out so many other issues but i do admit at 30 to start that deal probably is a painful one.

Boeser is in value free fall. He's just purely a lumbering shooter that you have to have 2 guys who can make things happen play with him. If he wants 7.5 see ya later. He shouldn't get paid more than Toffoli Oshie Perron type players but i do get he's 24 and can snipe. Have to hope he can rebound before hasty decisions are made but he also has to realize he needs to give some massive concessions to the team if he wants to stay.....Should be really interesting how this plays out. Reinhart and Buchnevich just moved on for for similar reasons and sold cheap. Would prefer if we can rehabilitate the value but that QO is a nightmare. Have to believe the NJ rumors are him and Dickinson for Zacha and maybe Mcloed or another player Boqvist IDK ??? to open up some cap space.

I tend to agree with Orcatown on Motte but we cant afford to have 2 4th liners making 5 million dollars so either Dickinson goes or we trade Motte for me. I hate to make that trade off but that's the pain of the cap and Jimbo's carelessness.

Pearson is not a problem but he is a slower player getting long in the tooth and would benefit from a change of scenery to a team built to win puck battles and has good legs around him to best utilize his assets. I'm indifferent as he wont be around when were next a playoff team in all likelihood so if you can make a deal make a deal.

Garland should go nowhere. Has more compete than most our roster and is on a good contract and young enough to entertain winning and the fans.

The D well???. There's nothing to trade of value and there is no need to be hasty and move Myers to just spend it on players looking for retirement contracts with term like Klingberg. By all means if him Poolman Hamonic you can deal without adding assets then sure. Have to spend some draft collateral on defense and prey something works out unless a Miller Horvat Boeser can get you a young anchor. Fact of the matter is the forwards have been abysmal this year and it looks like were gonna have to take a step back so may just have to ride it out a bit and wait for some good opportunities as we free up cap and develop some draft picks. I tend to think we can do what Toronto has and just add good compliments around Hughes as long as we dont saddle with too much term. Brodie and Muzzin have been good. it's more important we fix the top3 lines up front so we dont keep getting embarrassed.

It's tough being a Canucks fan and this wont be easy

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Horvat is not a leader. He is not a dynamic player. He floats. He barely checks or plays defense. He had like 3 good moments in his entire career.

He is hurting the team and it is so obvious to see.

Trade him for whatever you can get.

He tends to completely ignore his man and hang out at the blue line waiting for a turnover so he can try for a breakaway. For whatever reason he's been doing it more frequently this season but it sends a bad message to the rest of the team who are trying to maintain a semblance of defensive structure. I've made my views on this player known for a while - he's either injured or we're seeing the age related decline in play and skating that is very predictable with this type of a player. I hope management comes to a similar conclusion as there will never a better time to trade him than this TDL or offseason.

Reactions: Dab

HeLord

Feb 19, 2022
He was a beast in his rookie year and bubble playoffs. So he has potential.

Unfortunately, it looks like we messed up his development somewhere and I agree. We should build around someone else now and just blow it up.

That’s why we can’t ruin Hughes at any cost and first priority is finding him his long term partner before we ruin him too.

So, we just give up on him? What the hell kind of bullshit logic is that? Pettersson has been looking a lot better lately and you absolutely do keep him and hopefully under this new coaching and management he returns to form.

Last edited:
Reactions: CherryToke

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Pretty hard watching that post game presser and digesting that Travis Green cut MacEwen and Gadjovich for Dowling and Chiasson

For reference he was lamenting seeing Deslauries on the starting roster and having nothing to answer so he threw out Garland then watched him destroy Burroughs and score 2 goals. Praised Podkolzin for at least showing some backbone and push back later in the game against Comtois

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wins and losses almost don't really matter any more. The best thing to happen this season was 'Bloody Sunday' when ownership cleaned house of what surely was the worst senior hockey ops group in the entire NHL.

Then they went out and hired an experienced president of hockey operations and gave him the keys to the castle. First Rutherford straightened out the hockey ops mess.....now it's on to the player personnel.

If may not seem like it right now, because there's been so many false starts before. But I truly believe that better days are just around the corner.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Missed the game but happened to be in my vehicle with the radio on for a few minutes before the game and they're talking about the Canucks going on a run and how winning this game will lead to winning the next and so on and then there's the chance they have to make the playoffs.

I was thinking, this line of talk is ridiculous and why would you be peddling these kinds of expectations when the obvious has been staring you in the face? Hey, lets see what they can do with this game, but lets not count on too much and see what management does in the offseason. Seriously. It sounded like they were talking about the Panthers or Avs.

Yeah, sure you're trying to drum up interest in the team, but this barage of nonsense is absurd. Glad I missed this one, but this collection of players is done. Free Horvat to see if there's a player in there still living, Miller's got some good value and Boeser can find his game somewhere else.

There's so much deadwood and junk on this roster, it's not easy to see how to get out of it. It was so patently obvious that each year Benning was kept as GM was compounding the rot and here's the proof. His final kick of the can ruined any chance these players had at doing something together.

Stripping down the roster after 8 long years of failure. Sure feels bad, but there's nothing else to do.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Who the F dumps on Quinn Hughes when you have Horvat, the captain, doing F all for 3 months? Guy calling him 'smurf'. Horrendous man, seriously.

I was petulant in criticizing Pettersson the other night, but Hughes? Blows my mind. Akin in stupidity as harping on Demko.

Anyways team struggling. These losses are okay it should make things very clear for management where we're at (although if it wasn't already for them thats concerning).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's probably a good thing the the current hockey ops department really doesn't owe much loyalty to any of the current players on this roster. They didn't draft or acquire them; and didn't sign others to expensive UFA contracts that they now have to try and justify.

The mantra now, is that almost every guy on this roster, save for a three or four core young players, is playing to either stay in Vancouver or move on. If Rutherford feels he can improve the team for even the longer term, he'll pull the trigger on a deal involving almost anyone. He's already said this team needs to get a lot faster and a lot more physical....and you got a first hand look tonight of what happens when the other team comes out hitting and skating. The Canucks just fold.

So guys like Miller, Boeser and Horvat are probably in play, although a couple of them might not move until the off-season. The reality is that slowly but surely, the mid to late 20's veterans Benning thought they could build around, might all be headed out of town eventually.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Looking at the models this morning, the Canucks slim playoffs hopes looked to have dropped another 5%. Essentially below 10% everywhere I look now.

For me you keep Demko and Hughes for sure. Easily the teams two best players.

You likely keep Hoglander and Podz because they are young with limited trade value. May as well try to build them into something resembling good top 9 players (hopefully more).

Miller - in a myopic view you likely keep him as well being a top 3 player on the roster. However, in the grand scheme of things and where this team is you have to move him. He is likely to go from good value contract to bad value contract within a handful of years. Not what you want at a time when this team might be ready to do something.

Horvat and Boeser. I think you move them if you can. They are not providing value for this team right now and might be able to generate a good return. Unless there are underlying issues they can be moved.

Pettersson - I think he’s coming around to how Boudreau wants him to play and the results are starting to come for him. However, I think this is a player you really need to find the proper wingers for. I’m not sure those wingers are on this team right now. Still, I think you keep him around.

Garland - I’m in the minority on his play I think. When he’s on he is an annoying little water bug. When he isn’t he accomplishes absolutely nothing. And honestly I don’t feel he is “on” enough. Many games of invisible Garland. Last night he hit the scoresheet a couple times I think but like the rest of the roster he was nowhere to be found the first 25 minutes. That said, his contract is manageable so I think you look to keep him.

Anyone else can be moved.

They need to try really hard to get rid of Myers and OEL (might be even more impossible if he is hurt for any length of time).

That said I don’t expect the team to make 4 or 5 big trade moves in the next 6 months. That’s far too high a bar. But they need to make a couple big deals and really start to shake up and rebuild the roster.

If I’m management I’m taking the opposite tactic of Benning who could only seem to think adding more offense was the answer (or thinking he was adding more offense). I start at the blueline. I want to see at least 3 new bodies on that blueline next year, two should be top 4 and at least one of Myers and OEL gone. If the offense struggles or the forwards are a bit of a mess that’s fine. A good blueline with solid goaltending will do far more for this team moving forward than anything else.

Last edited:

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
So, we just give up on him? What the hell kind of bullshit logic is that? Pettersson has been looking a lot better lately and you absolutely do keep him and hopefully under this new coaching and management he returns to form.

If a team is willing to do Wright for Ep straight up or even better Bedard for him straight up you do it. Just have to convince them they are more lafreniere than more mcmuffin and hope they bite.

If that doesn’t work, EP is worth a boatload despite what Canuck fans think. You take the huge haul he brings in and draft the next centre we build around. Might take a few years but it’s going to take some time with or without ep but if our new number 1 centre trajectory is better then it will take less time than forcing EP back into an AHO trajectory. AHO was a 2nd rounder I believe or a really late 1st rounder so they can be found.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
almost since he showed up as a rookie i’ve wondered how everything for bo horvat would be different if his name wasn’t bo horvat and he didn’t look like a guy who lays cement or fixes your car.

the places he’s played in the lineup, the linemates he’s gotten, the captaincy, our expectations of him, the way the media talks about him, how GMs and other players around the league view him, what if he was a little prettier with fair hair and had a waspy name like oliver ellison?

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
As I said back in December, let's see how the team is performing in March.

March is fast approaching and it's pretty clear that the issues aren't "just" coaching or whatever. Bruce has helped and the team overall is on the same page, but this is still Benning's magnum opus, lol.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
almost since he showed up as a rookie i’ve wondered how everything for bo horvat would be different if his name wasn’t bo horvat and he didn’t look like a guy who lays cement or fixes your car.

the places he’s played in the lineup, the linemates he’s gotten, the captaincy, our expectations of him, the way the media talks about him, how GMs and other players around the league view him, what if he was a little prettier with fair hair and had a waspy name like oliver ellison?

Or Alex Wennberg.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Wins and losses almost don't really matter any more. The best thing to happen this season was 'Bloody Sunday' when ownership cleaned house of what surely was the worst senior hockey ops group in the entire NHL.

Then they went out and hired an experienced president of hockey operations and gave him the keys to the castle. First Rutherford straightened out the hockey ops mess.....now it's on to the player personnel.

If may not seem like it right now, because there's been so many false starts before. But I truly believe that better days are just around the corner.

You are 100% correct my friend!

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Who the F dumps on Quinn Hughes when you have Horvat, the captain, doing F all for 3 months? Guy calling him 'smurf'. Horrendous man, seriously.

I was petulant in criticizing Pettersson the other night, but Hughes? Blows my mind. Akin in stupidity as harping on Demko.

Anyways team struggling. These losses are okay it should make things very clear for management where we're at (although if it wasn't already for them thats concerning).

JR knew this team needs a rebuild (which is funny because we have been basement dwellers for a decade). He’s said as much. Only the odd fan thought we could “retool”. Everyone’s gotta go and we will be the Arizona coyotes for the next 5-6 years. We are .500 with BB after his first 7 games.

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
Trade Miller now, if he plays like that until the deadline his value will drop right off, what a horrible game by a guy who's supposedly your top player lol.

Reactions: AppleHoneySauce

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
SWUNG ON AND BELTED!!!!!! FOR A GRAND SLAM!

Anaheim converts on their last touch down.

My oh my, why is there such a difference between these teams? Isn't that being competitive? If the team didn't let them score so many goals they could win. Boy, wasn't that Hughes so good just darting around the ice all night and Pettersson has his game back and scored, son of a gun that Anaheim team scores seven and beats the Nux, but Hughes was flashy, some of those goals were not the goalie's fault they were just lucky shots,
Still in the playoff race, a million to one but they still have a chance, right?

YA!

It must be painful for some of the players, change is coming but not fast enough for some players judging by game results.

BUT they are still in the playoff race!!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: