Ducks-Blues game postponed for medical emergency involving Jay Bouwmeester

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Not to be that person ... but anyone else find the the level of shock and the cancelling of the game a bit much? There are trained medical professionals right there.

When this happens in the mall they don't even close the stores.
This is a terrible take.

And if I worked in one of those stores and a co-worker of mine collapsed, I wouldn't want to keep selling hot dogs on sticks, either.

I was watching the Jackets/Stars game when Peverley collapsed, and after that wound down, I had no desire to go back to WATCHING hockey, so I can imagine that no one would have wanted to continue playing hockey. I mean, it's one thing if someone suffers a catastrophic injury that's hockey related; the guys know they signed up for that possiblity when they took up the sport. In the back of their minds, that's always there on some level. You can't prepare emotionally for someone to have this happen.

Reactions: Miro Heineken

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I'm going to ask what may be a stupid question, and if it is, feel free to tell me so.

12:30
6:23
12:10

Know what those are? The times elapsed in the first period of the games when Jiri Fischer, Rich Peverley and Jay Bouwmeester collapsed, respectively. All early in games, all early in the first period.

I'm not a doctor, but is there something about the early stages of games that makes people with heart conditions more likely to be susceptible to disaster? Something about the heart struggling to adapt to the point of the game when it's first getting cranked up to maximum capacity, as opposed to the later stages of games when the body has adjusted already? Is it just a funky coincidence that no one can really explain?
Who said JBo had a heart condition?

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Hope he recovers fully. and it was just dehydration.
Reminds me of when Pavlec collapsed in the crease. Did they ever say what happened to him??? that happned 3 or 4 years ago i think.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Hope he recovers fully. and it was just dehydration.
Reminds me of when Pavlec collapsed in the crease. Did they ever say what happened to him??? that happned 3 or 4 years ago i think.
Pavelec was back in 2010 or 11 while still in Atlanta. It was revealed he "just" fainted, and he recovered fully.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I remember that. To be fair, McMahon was in a no win position. No matter what decision he made.

I watched it live on PPV back then. Illegally I might add.

Was also a different time with no camera phones. Plus the fact that incident occurred while viewers on PPV were watching b-roll. Footage of it happening does exist but will likely never see the light of day. Hearing them announce what happened on that PPV was one of the more shocking things I've ever heard. Which makes me wonder if they ever made an announcement to that crowd in attendance.

They got a lot of shit for it(some deserved) but I felt it was the right call then. Nowadays, no way.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Get well Jay, I don't think there is a guy in the NHL more chill and relaxed than Bouw. Just the nicest guy, hurt to watch him collapse like that. Always loved him on the Flames.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

Was also a different time with no camera phones. Plus the fact that incident occurred while viewers on PPV were watching b-roll. Footage of it happening does exist but will likely never see the light of day. Hearing them announce what happened on that PPV was one of the more shocking things I've ever heard. Which makes me wonder if they ever made an announcement to that crowd in attendance.

They got a lot of **** for it(some deserved) but I felt it was the right call then. Nowadays, no way.
I don't think they did, honestly. At least from what I gather they didn't.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
JayBo is such a likable guy, I hope he gets to play hockey again.

I was so happy when he finally won the cup, guy earned it. Also cool that it got him into the Triple Gold Club

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Not a medical expert, so I'm curious if something OTHER than heart-related can cause what happened to Bouwmeester and still require a defibrillator?
Nothing reasonably plausible I can think of. Very high potassium level in the blood could cause an arrhythmia for example, but a lot has to go wrong in other ways before that could occur. The notion that a pro athlete would be feeling fine a few minutes before that pretty much narrows down the list.

Not sure we should expect the level of detail to be reported that many would like to see. We probably won’t learn the full results of his cardiac investigation, other than something vague. I’m not very optimistic he’ll ever play again, particularly given the stage he is on his career.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
I'm not a doctor, but is there something about the early stages of games that makes people with heart conditions more likely to be susceptible to disaster? Something about the heart struggling to adapt to the point of the game when it's first getting cranked up to maximum capacity, as opposed to the later stages of games when the body has adjusted already? Is it just a funky coincidence that no one can really explain?

Maybe you have a small-grade infection that you barely are even noticing? Something that weakens you just enough that when your heart rate goes up you will have that episode. The reason why they don't happen late is on that day you aren't making it to the end of the race.

Or maybe if something was wrong on that day you would notice it when you don't feel normal between the periods.. you slow down and get pulled from the game and get checked out and they diagnose you.

Or more likely just a full coincidence..

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Nothing reasonably plausible I can think of. Very high potassium level in the blood could cause an arrhythmia for example, but a lot has to go wrong in other ways before that could occur. The notion that a pro athlete would be feeling fine a few minutes before that pretty much narrows down the list.

Not sure we should expect the level of detail to be reported that many would like to see. We probably won’t learn the full results of his cardiac investigation, other than something vague. I’m not very optimistic he’ll ever play again, particularly given the stage he is on his career.
Without seeing and ECG or echo, there's really no way for us to know what really happened. Great news that he's alright. I wouldn't be surprised if he played again, but as you've said, given his age, it probably makes sense for him to just hang it up. Scary stuff. I wouldn't blame him.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
Great to hear he's doing better.

Got that lump in my throat when I heard it could be a cardiac condition. A week from today will be a year since my dad passed away from chronic heart problems that finally were too much for him. One of many conditions/issues/diseases that hits close to home unfortunately, this just being the most recent.

Regardless of what the full and real issue is/was, all the best to him. Had a fantastic career (if it's over) and he's a genuinely great man. Rest up and get healthy.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
given his age, it probably makes sense for him to just hang it up. Scary stuff. I wouldn't blame him.
He's on a one year deal, UFA after the season. Hopefully if there's any risk he'll make the smart decision and go out having won the cup after a long proud career

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

They got a lot of **** for it(some deserved) but I felt it was the right call then. Nowadays, no way.
Was watching that live too. I just couldn't believe it I was in such shock.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
That's insane, a 36 year old professional athlete who lives a healthy lifestyle. Could really happen to anyone...

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I'm regrettably happy I'm trained in CPR and AED. My town ran clinics for all youth coaches. And our fire department runs free clinics a few times a year for anyone interested.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
May everyone have the best possible outcome here.

Think about the rest of your life Jay Bouwmeester. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Reactions: trostol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad