Ducks-Blues game postponed for medical emergency involving Jay Bouwmeester

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Where does it say he was shocked? I can’t find reliable information. I watched all the footage, as I was watching the Blues’ feed, but about all I can confidently say is that he collapsed suddenly and that they put up a curtain and were working on him at the bench.

Pang said they had an AED “close by”, but it wasn’t clear if he meant they’d used it or just got it out. I’ve seen references to folks in the arena saying they used an AED but can’t find those accounts first hand. It’s possible the staff applied the paddles and assessed his rhythm, but didn’t deliver a shock. For an observer across the arena, it would be hard to know exactly what was done.

I think they resumed the game in Dallas when Peverley was resuscitated on the bench. I hadn’t thought about it as much at the time, but it would have been so inappropriate to do that last night. I think the situations are similar enough that I take this as the NHL acknowledging that got it wrong last time.

Chris Kerber, the Blues radio play by play guy, said on ESPN radio that a defibrillator was used. He said it matter of factly and is not the kind of person to speculate or spread false info.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Chris Kerber, the Blues radio play by play guy, said on ESPN radio that a defibrillator was used. He said it matter of factly and is not the kind of person to speculate or spread false info.

Used doesn't mean he was shocked though. Could have been applied "in case" or applied then it said "do not shock". Those machines literally talk you through the whole process.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I think they resumed the game in Dallas when Peverley was resuscitated on the bench. I hadn’t thought about it as much at the time, but it would have been so inappropriate to do that last night. I think the situations are similar enough that I take this as the NHL acknowledging that got it wrong last time.

For the record, they didn't. It actually allowed for the unique statistical quirk in which Nathan Horton, who had scored in that game prior to the medical emergency but was injured and didn't play in the rescheduled game, ended up scoring a goal in a game he didn't officially play in.

In both the Jiri Fischer and Peverley cases, the score was 1-0 and the score was kept even though the game restarted with 20:00 in the first period. Since the game was tied in this case, I wonder if the score will be kept or not.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
That's referencing Rich Peverley.

JBo has no reported history of an irregular heartbeat

Good catch. :) The separation of paragraphs caught me off guard in my skin through it. Apologies. I am not the one who initially brought up the history of irregular heartbeat, perhaps the original poster can do so. I will say regardless of history of irregular heartbeat or not the subset of possible issues is still relatively small and that detail doesn't change much other than the likelihood of one issues vs another. Some of what is being discussed in this thread previously is actually people speculating on symptoms of a problem, rather than the problem itself. Things like VTach, VFib, Cardiac arrest, high blood pressure, Heart attacks are symptoms of an actual issue often structural or genetic in nature. The actual "problem" possibilities are fairly limited in this situation to a handful of issues. I realize that sounds insane to most and that's okay. My hope is still for something less serious like an electrolyte imbalance or dehydration.

I am going to peace out from this thread though now. I doubt much productive conversation will come from here. Hoping for the best for him and we will hopefully get a positive update this afternoon.

I do want to say: For people that devote their life to dealing with situations like this, this stuff IS important to us. Just because we're discussing it in a different way, doesn't make us any less empathetic for Jay or his family. It's just naturally where our brains go on these situations. We can also learn so much from discussing these situations too and hopefully apply that knowledge down the road.

Anyway, I'm done debating diagnosing patients based on a video clip. I think, given the fact that Bouwmeester suffered a serious incident, that it's dangerous and disrespectful.

Dr. Satire has an apology to make -- in the course of his online diagnosing that some seem to think he is ok doing, he made an erroneous statement that JB has previously been diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat. I do not believe that is the case, and it underscores why this sort of speculation without facts can lead to misstatements and rumors.

We'll see if he corrects the record. I'm 50/50 on whether he has the gravitas to do it. We'll see.

Regardless, I hope Jay Bouwmeester has a very very speedy recovery. THAT is what is important.

I did not say that he had an irregular heartbeat. My reply was in a response to a comment that stated that. Feel fee to look back on the thread to see whom it was if you wish I have no intention of making someone else the target of your ire. There is no harm in discussing such things, and i have never said that my words have been anything more than opinions. Certainly not a diagnosis and my opinions surely could be wrong. That's the fun in discussing things with others though and often you learn a lot from that too. I'm not sure why that bothers you so much other than in an effort to make me look bad or annoy me.

Last edited:

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
For the record, they didn't. It actually allowed for the unique statistical quirk in which Nathan Horton, who had scored in that game prior to the medical emergency but was injured and didn't play in the rescheduled game, ended up scoring a goal in a game he didn't officially play in.
Oddly enough, the last game Nathan Horton ever played was the day before. He only played a few minutes due to injury, never played again, and was credited with a goal the next day.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Great job by trainers of both teams, the doctor who literally ran to help and to the EMS folks.

I love that hockey players really care for each other and you could see that with the Ducks players who were very concerned and helped out.

Hockey players are the best. Period.

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Yeah lets keep playing a game when our friend who looks like he just died got paddles and stretchered off.

When this happens in a mall not everyone in the mall was there to watch the person perform with a group of other individuals. Do you really not see the difference?

Yes I see the difference. Just like I see the difference between a serious question and a joke about an ear infection and an emoji in a thread like this.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Not to be that person ... but anyone else find the the level of shock and the cancelling of the game a bit much? There are trained medical professionals right there.

When this happens in the mall they don't even close the stores.

Come on. The players from both sides were genuinely seriously concerned. Vince Dunn looked like he had just seen a ghost. None of these players were in the right mindset to continue playing a battle when one of their own almost died right in front of their eyes. Some things are bigger than sport. I know these guys seem like infallible superheroes to us, but they are human just like the rest of us.

euro

Feb 13, 2013
Not to be that person ... but anyone else find the the level of shock and the cancelling of the game a bit much? There are trained medical professionals right there.

LOL, and if you went to the mall with a friend and this happens to your friends... you would just go on with your shopping ???

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Nope.

When you think your teammate/fellow NHL player might be suffering a life threatening cardiac event, the game doesn't really mean crap. Obviously it could turn out to be less serious than that but they have no way of knowing at the time.

As for your mall example there weren't 18,000 strangers who paid money to watch a person shop only to have them collapse from a cardiac event. And the shopper doesn't have a bunch of teammates/opponents who thinks they might be witnessing one of their peers dying. They can whisk that person away and within minutes most shoppers won't even have any idea what transpired.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Not sure which "last time" you're referring to. When it happened with Peverley (which I think is the most recent such event during a game; Cunningham was pre-game), we just had a completely new game with three full periods, and the one goal that had been scored up to that point was credited at 0:00. (I understand the Fischer make-up game was handled the same way.) Curiously, the goal had been scored by Nathan Horton, and the make-up game occurred after he played his last ever NHL game due to injury, so he got credited for a goal in a game he never played in.

Regardless, very glad to hear JBo is stable and doing better. I wasn't in attendance for Peverley (it was a road game for the Jackets), but I was watching it live, and it was absolutely terrifying.
Ah yeah thats right, I guess I remembered wrong.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Yes I see the difference. Just like I see the difference between a serious question and a joke about an ear infection and an emoji in a thread like this.
You obviously don't because that emoji is titled "sarcasm". Which after hearing JBo is awake and in good spirits and making jokes with teammates over facetime its fun to make fun of all the HFBoards MD's since the situation isn't as serious.

All you had to say was "No, I don't know the difference." But that's obvious now.

Thanks!

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
You do have no idea what my background is and that's okay. An internet doctor implies someone uneducated tries to weigh in on a situation- suffice to say I can assure you that's not the case. That doesn't mean I am right at all either though. I'm merely giving my opinion on the situation. We won't know until we're giving more information either way. What sucks is there is a real human being here at the end of this all.

There's been information out shortly after his collapse that he required the AED and had a cardiac arrest. That alone is a ton of information and likely limits what most likely happened to a handful of possibilities. Hs and Ts.

But I digress. I am sorry that my opinion written on a message board offended you this much.
He was strangely insulting, assumptive and seemed to hate that you had knowledge he didnt.

One of the first things people wonder about and talk about is how this could havehappened and how he'll be affected going forward

Thanks for bringing something informative and helpful to the table.

Theres a very noticeable anti intellectual sentiment towards anyone who has potential medical knowledge/expertise that goes beyond a casual hockey fan. I noticed those same people seem to automatically link ego with providing that info. Maybe a bit of projecting going on

Last edited:

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Reactions: Satire

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
You obviously don't because that emoji is titled "sarcasm". Which after hearing JBo is awake and in good spirits and making jokes with teammates over facetime its fun to make fun of all the HFBoards MD's since the situation isn't as serious.

All you had to say was "No, I don't know the difference." But that's obvious now.

Thanks!

Whatever makes you feel better. I can just give you my login and you do my talking for me if you want.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Nope.

When you think your teammate/fellow NHL player might be suffering a life threatening cardiac event, the game doesn't really mean crap. Obviously it could turn out to be less serious than that but they have no way of knowing at the time.

As for your mall example there weren't 18,000 strangers who paid money to watch a person shop only to have them collapse from a cardiac event. And the shopper doesn't have a bunch of teammates/opponents who thinks they might be witnessing one of their peers dying. They can whisk that person away and within minutes most shoppers won't even have any idea what transpired.

Well...there was Owen Hart

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
LOL, and if you went to the mall with a friend and this happens to your friends... you would just go on with your shopping ???

Maybe he's implying he works in a mall and if/when that happened they never closed his store

My guess.

dennis90

Aug 30, 2019
I didn't watch the game live, but the video posted looked like the incident happened during a TV timeout and the coverage returned with all the players on the ice and Jay being worked on
okay that is fair....... but they need to stay on the field/rink when something happens.
have to be enough with the new ads behind the goal lines :ha:

dennis90

Aug 30, 2019
In clear emergency's I think its actually a practice to go to commercial because god forbid they need to start doing dramatic live-saving procedures on the ice like they did with Craig Cunningham, they don't want to show that to viewers and potentially family members watching. You probably also want your commentators who are right next to what is happening to gain some composure.
Why not, it's a part of sports and life.....sh*t happens, stuff is dangerous, will even teach people to take take of themselves.
Watching something on TV can prepare you for a real life situation.
Learn CPR for instance

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I'm going to ask what may be a stupid question, and if it is, feel free to tell me so.

12:30
6:23
12:10

Know what those are? The times elapsed in the first period of the games when Jiri Fischer, Rich Peverley and Jay Bouwmeester collapsed, respectively. All early in games, all early in the first period.

I'm not a doctor, but is there something about the early stages of games that makes people with heart conditions more likely to be susceptible to disaster? Something about the heart struggling to adapt to the point of the game when it's first getting cranked up to maximum capacity, as opposed to the later stages of games when the body has adjusted already? Is it just a funky coincidence that no one can really explain?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad