Ducks-Blues game postponed for medical emergency involving Jay Bouwmeester

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
I skimmed through a few pages and didn’t see if it was answered but why was the game cancelled? I understand I’m coming off sounding like a dbag and I’m obviously glad he is ok I’m just genuinely curious. Is it because they weren’t sure what was gonna happen to him?

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
I skimmed through a few pages and didn’t see if it was answered but why was the game cancelled? I understand I’m coming off sounding like a dbag and I’m obviously glad he is ok I’m just genuinely curious. Is it because they weren’t sure what was gonna happen to him?

it is one of the more uncomfortably ambiguous questions in these circumstances. When a player gets drilled into the boards on a play, rendered unconscious and/or stretchered quickly off-the ice, there’s the round of appreciate applause for said player, but the game generally continues, even though his injuries may be as life-threatening as a collapse on the bench or on ice. It’s difficult to determine where that line may be. Perhaps the visible remembrance of our own personal frailty and temporality by seeing the body fail itself strikes a singular chord.

Reactions: Bigb47

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006

Getzlaf was talking to Steen and a few other blues, Parayko one of them and you could tell that the message to Getzlaf was that we can't play the game. The refs were on the phone with Toronto. getzlaf and steen I think it was skated over the refs and they had words, the game was done.

Its easy to see why the blues could not play a game after a teammate went through what JBou did last night.

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
Getzlaf was talking to Steen and a few other blues, Parayko one of them and you could tell that the message to Getzlaf was that we can't play the game. The refs were on the phone with Toronto. getzlaf and steen I think it was skated over the refs and they had words, the game was done.

Its easy to see why the blues could not play a game after a teammate went through what JBou did last night.
Understandable, after all it is just a hockey game it’s just rare to see a professional sports game canceled once it’s started.

BretterThanYou

Sep 17, 2006
Collinsville IL
I watched it live on PPV back then. Illegally I might add.

Was also a different time with no camera phones. Plus the fact that incident occurred while viewers on PPV were watching b-roll. Footage of it happening does exist but will likely never see the light of day. Hearing them announce what happened on that PPV was one of the more shocking things I've ever heard. Which makes me wonder if they ever made an announcement to that crowd in attendance.

They got a lot of **** for it(some deserved) but I felt it was the right call then. Nowadays, no way.

They did not announce it to those in attendence.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis

I would guess a few of the ducks have met/played with/know Jaybo also, he's been around a long time, which I'm sure it scares both teams.

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
it is one of the more uncomfortably ambiguous questions in these circumstances. When a player gets drilled into the boards on a play, rendered unconscious and/or stretchered quickly off-the ice, there’s the round of appreciate applause for said player, but the game generally continues, even though his injuries may be as life-threatening as a collapse on the bench or on ice. It’s difficult to determine where that line may be. Perhaps the visible remembrance of our own personal frailty and temporality by seeing the body fail itself strikes a singular chord.
How many times has a player in the NHL gotten stretchered off without moving at all though? It's just different seeing your teammate go limp on the bench compared to getting hurt during play.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
AED's. That's why they should be everywhere.

Learn how to use one. You never know. You might save a life.

The NHL has a lengthy list of emergency medical standards, including language that require that at least two doctors must be in attendance for every game, and one must be within 50 feet of the bench. A defibrillator must also be available, as well as a triage room and ambulances on call.
The most recent player to collapse on an NHL bench was Dallas Stars forward Rich Peverleyin 2014. Peverley had an irregular heartbeat, and the quick response of emergency officials ensured he was OK. Detroit's Jiri Fischercollapsed in 2005, and medical personnel also needed to use a defibrillator.

Blues GM: Bouwmeester prognosis 'very positive'

NHL nicely done to have this in place. I’d like to assume all pro and even colleges have something similar w requiring an AED be within a certain amount of feet.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
Not to mention they all watched him getting CPR and he may not have had a heart beat. That’s a little different than a guy who is unconscious but still breathing and heart beating.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
The NHL has a lengthy list of emergency medical standards, including language that require that at least two doctors must be in attendance for every game, and one must be within 50 feet of the bench. A defibrillator must also be available, as well as a triage room and ambulances on call.
The most recent player to collapse on an NHL bench was Dallas Stars forward Rich Peverleyin 2014. Peverley had an irregular heartbeat, and the quick response of emergency officials ensured he was OK. Detroit's Jiri Fischercollapsed in 2005, and medical personnel also needed to use a defibrillator.

Blues GM: Bouwmeester prognosis 'very positive'

NHL nicely done to have this in place. I’d like to assume all pro and even colleges have something similar w requiring an AED be within a certain amount of feet.

An ambulance is required to be in the building not just on call. A few years back during a Blues game a player, dont remember who or what team, went to the hospital, the game didnt restart until another ambulance arrived at the building which took several minutes as there wasnt one close that was available to sit at the arena

Reactions: Klank Loves You

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
An ambulance is required to be in the building not just on call. A few years back during a Blues game a player, dont remember who or what team, went to the hospital, the game didnt restart until another ambulance arrived at the building which took several minutes as there wasnt one close that was available to sit at the arena
It was Fiala in the playoff series with the Blues and Preds, went into the boards and broke his leg real bad

Reactions: Klank Loves You

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Where does it say he was shocked? I can’t find reliable information. I watched all the footage, as I was watching the Blues’ feed, but about all I can confidently say is that he collapsed suddenly and that they put up a curtain and were working on him at the bench.

Pang said they had an AED “close by”, but it wasn’t clear if he meant they’d used it or just got it out. I’ve seen references to folks in the arena saying they used an AED but can’t find those accounts first hand. It’s possible the staff applied the paddles and assessed his rhythm, but didn’t deliver a shock. For an observer across the arena, it would be hard to know exactly what was done.

I think they resumed the game in Dallas when Peverley was resuscitated on the bench. I hadn’t thought about it as much at the time, but it would have been so inappropriate to do that last night. I think the situations are similar enough that I take this as the NHL acknowledging that got it wrong last time.
There was a post that linked a tweet earlier in the thread that said he was shocked, but like I said in one of my posts that’s speculative because we don’t know who that person is.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I was at the game where Modano got stretchered off and they dropped the gurney as they were lifting him into the ambulance. Obviously he came back to hockey, but it was scary and then scarier.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
With all due respect, you know essentially nothing about what happened or the person it happened to. Nothing. You have no medical history, you have no familial history, you have no blood work, you have no imaging, you have no enzyme levels, you have no toxicology, no vitals, nothing. You have a video of a guy collapsing and an assumption about EXACTLY what EMT's may or may not have been doing to the person who collapsed. Not even audio.

And yet the "person I was criticizing" was wondering how JBo deteriorated into one of those rhythms in the first place. A rhythm you or he have no idea he was or is in.

Glad the medicine thing is so easy. God forbid any of you have a heart event. Make sure you keep a video handy though, you can just send a gif to your doctor and they'll diagnose and fix you up virtually.

Yes this is a message board. And yes, you can guess. But why? So someone can be the first to "make the "call". I diagnosed it right, I diagnosed it right.....This place........
You see the compressions. You see them putting on patches. Arrests aren’t rocket science, though what happened that led to that may be.....and I’m not that guy. If he was defibrillated by an AED there are two rhythms he could’ve been in. It’s in any acls book. AED’s defibrillate only these two rhythms. If it was a doc or medic’s call to give electricity (if in fact it was given) it could’ve been a few other options but they are unlikely. I’m curious myself about the details, though we may never get them.

As for your “god forbid” I grew up with SVT and have been cardioverted, converted through Adenosine and have converted myself many times before I was ablated at 22. So yeah I’ve had a “cardiac event”, and have watched and been a part of many other people’s events....as have many other people have on this thread I’d guess. I’m sure they’re smarter than me.

I don’t have any of the emotion youre showing about this. It’s people on a message board.

“Making the call”? There’s no call to make. I don’t get any special hf points. You’ll be arguing with me about player value next week on the trade board with no clue I’m the guy you argued this with. Or will anyone else. Move on man. There’s nothing wrong with talking about it. Get upset all you want, different people have different thresholds for these conversations. There’s zero disrespect to JBo or his family.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
cardiac arrest has a very high chance of mortality and almost certainly means the end of the career of the person suffering it so it's a good deal more devastating than even a hard KO.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Glad to see that he's okay, and also glad that if he retires, he can at least know that he had a full career.

Other guys in this scenario cannot say all those things.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The stuff with Jay Bouwmeester is sad, but he should just retire at the end of the year. He's not gonna be able to do any physical activity for like 6 months, and then it will be a long process to get back to NHL playing standards.

He won a cup, may get a second this year, and has made close to 75 million over his career.

No reason to risk your life to try and come back

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Gotta think he hangs 'em up after this, right?

Glad to hear he's on the mend, at least, but I figure he'll follow the same footsteps as Fischer and Peverley and call it a career.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Gotta think he hangs 'em up after this, right?

Glad to hear he's on the mend, at least, but I figure he'll follow the same footsteps as Fischer and Peverley and call it a career.

The ICD all but guarantee's his career as a professional athlete is over - but the good news is he is alive today and get's to spend the future with his family.

Best of luck to Jay moving forward! He had an absolutely wonderful career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad