Sportsnet: Duchene to re-sign in Ottawa even if dealt?

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
If you read the tweet, you'd understand that he loves the city of Ottawa.
Seems like fluff to me. Nearly every player "loves" the city they play in, but players move on all the time.

I just can't see him re-signing in Ottawa when he has options of real teams to play with on July 1st, especially the team he gets traded to. He'll probably "love" his new city after a big playoff run as well.

Feel free to quote my post on July 1st if he indeed returns to Ottawa after being traded.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Why not just sign in Montreal then, better team and he could still live in the Ottawa area if that’s what he wants.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The only way I can see it being possible is if there is some sort of road block to signing Duchene at his ask now that might be resolved by July 1st. I believe Don Brennan speculated on TSN 1200 about Melnyk trying to secure either financing or investments to cover signing bonuses, although who knows if that is true.

Otherwise, it seems like a planned leak from one of the sides meant to soften fan reaction to Duchene being traded or Duchene leaving.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
have to imagine if he liked in ottawa THAT much he would just re-sign now and not even hit FA without going through the hassle of needing to relocate and pay for additional temporary housing for the next ~3-4 months

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
It really doesn't matter what anyone says right now.

People can change their minds many times between now and July 1st. Especially come FA and teams give their best offers, that's when you really start thinking about what's the best option.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
If he actually likes Ottawa this definitely helps the rebuild. Maybe Dorian is willing to give same total $ on 7 yrs as 8 if Matt D handshakes on this. Could help distance both from the jack Hughes disaster if they did.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Way to tank his value. Now teams might look at it as a strict rental even more if he “loves it in Ottawa and may return July 1st”

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He is not returing after being traded.

Don’t believe the BS people.

Come on you’re smarter than that.

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
*tinfoil hat on*

Melnyk knows what he is doing, kinda. He has deals in place with Karlsson, Duchene and Stone that he will trade them, and next year will be able to pay you all. He is making it look like he doesnt have enough money to pay them next year, so teams are more willing to pay a higher price because they believe Ottawa wont be able to do anything about it anyways, but really Eugene (The Brain) Melnyk, has had a plan all along.

You see, Melnyk isnt as broke as he wants you to think. Infact, he has more thank enough money saved to pay for all these players + more. He did it by only spending to the cap floor for a couple years, and while yes it hurt his team, he was able to save more money for a big splurge year, that will hopefully kickstart the market and help them get a new arena, more fans, more money etc.

Big Brain Melnyk has been playing us all along.

We are not worthy.

*tinfoil hat off*

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
*tinfoil hat on*

Melnyk knows what he is doing, kinda. He has deals in place with Karlsson, Duchene and Stone that he will trade them, and next year will be able to pay you all. He is making it look like he doesnt have enough money to pay them next year, so teams are more willing to pay a higher price because they believe Ottawa wont be able to do anything about it anyways, but really Eugene (The Brain) Melnyk, has had a plan all along.

You see, Melnyk isnt as broke as he wants you to think. Infact, he has more thank enough money saved to pay for all these players + more. He did it by only spending to the cap floor for a couple years, and while yes it hurt his team, he was able to save more money for a big splurge year, that will hopefully kickstart the market and help them get a new arena, more fans, more money etc.

Big Brain Melnyk has been playing us all along.

We are not worthy.

*tinfoil hat off*

That's the Melnyk the people need and deserve

Reactions: Tranq and Big Sugar

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
The only player that I know of who did something like that was vermette. It's possible, however if I'm the team interested in him before the trade happens I want him resigned before hand if I plan to keep him.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
If Duchene is happy being on the worst team in the NHL which is owned by a delusional, egotistical owner then I have some serious questions about him.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Would be great if this was Melnyk's plan all along and he sold Karlsson, Duchene, Dzingel and Stone on it. They all come back to the 2019-2020 sens with White, Brown, Tkachuk, Chabot ready to go plus all the guys they'd get from these trades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad