Sportsnet: Duchene to re-sign in Ottawa even if dealt?

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
All this "close to home" talk makes no sense. He's a 3 1/2 hour drive from home. He doesn't go back to Halliburton except for Christmas and bi-week during the season.

Half his family, including his wife, is from Denver, where he still owns a house, and spent his entire adult life.

Colorado is literally his favourite hockey team, and Sakic is his favourite player.

He left all of that to find success.

Why would he stay in Ottawa to save time commuting?????

His job is literally to play hockey and travel. He's not going to spend the next 8 years in an organization that is far away from contending, and has multiple other issues.

He might say he likes Ottawa because it's "close to home", but that might be because it is literally the only thing he likes about playing in Ottawa.

thegr8one66

Mar 22, 2010
Winnipeg
If he loved in Ottawa, he would of re-signed already.

Not if he were to be traded and sign after a Cup run (hopefully with WPG). It makes sense if he like OTT. Get OTT a good return on a trade and then sign again with them after the season. That way he helps OTT get some more pieces for next season. It doesn't seem far-fetched to me. And if Stone did the same, the better for OTT.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
All this "close to home" talk makes no sense. He's a 3 1/2 hour drive from home. He doesn't go back to Halliburton except for Christmas and bi-week during the season.

Half his family, including his wife, is from Denver, where he still owns a house, and spent his entire adult life.

Colorado is literally his favourite hockey team, and Sakic is his favourite player.

His job is literally to play hockey and travel. He's not going to spend the next 8 years in an organization that is far away from contending, and has multiple other issues.

He might say he likes Ottawa because it's "close to home", but that might be because it is literally the only thing he likes about playing in Ottawa.
Tell us more

bigfatfist

Apr 17, 2012

I'm with you that I'm not sure how much proximity to home matters for lots of players, but it's just as easy for me to point out that Matt and Ashley built their dream home in Haliburton, that he's spoken publicly about spending all his days off there, launched a clothing line to celebrate his hometown, raves how much he loves being involved in the community, etc...

Reactions: Karlstrobe

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I'm with you that I'm not sure how much proximity to home matters for lots of players, but it's just as easy for me to point out that Matt and Ashley built their dream home in Haliburton, that he's spoken publicly about spending all his days off there, launched a clothing line to celebrate his hometown, raves how much he loves being involved in the community, etc...
Yah. During the summer

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011

He's born and raised in Ontario. His hometown is surrounded by forest, proximity to lakes etc. Duchene doesn't at all seem like the guy who wants to live in a big city and chase that star status like Panarin. I have a feeling that the guy just wants to raise a family in his small hometown and live a nice quite life in the wilderness. Nothing wrong with that and Ottawa is the closest place to Haliburton which offers a quiet suburban lifestyle.

Reactions: bigfatfist

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

You seem to know more about the sens than any of us sens fans. Quite impressive.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
You seem to know more about the sens than any of us sens fans. Quite impressive.
I've been a huge Duchene fan since we drafted him, and follow him on social media.

The comments about the sens are just assumptions I made due to the Sens being a terrible hockey team, with a terrible owner, and a fan base who is ready to start boycotting games (more than they already are)

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
He's born and raised in Ontario. His hometown is surrounded by forest, proximity to lakes etc. Duchene doesn't at all seem like the guy who wants to live in a big city and chase that star status like Panarin. I have a feeling that the guy just wants to raise a family in his small hometown and live a nice quite life in the wilderness. Nothing wrong with that and Ottawa is the closest place to Haliburton which offers a quiet suburban lifestyle.
Yeah for sure. He's mostly in Halliburton when he isn't playing hockey. Being close to Ottawa while he is playing, isn't much of plus, because he isn't going to be commuting to Halliburton from Ottawa except on breaks.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
I think Bob McKenzie on his podcast referenced how Duchene enjoys being 'the centre' on a team which is why he enjoys Ottawa. He will be their franchise centre going forward.

If it were to shake out for Ottawa that way, it would be a great for that franchise.
Better than Jack Hughes?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->