Sportsnet: Duchene to re-sign in Ottawa even if dealt?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
So they don't want to pay him what he wants now... But somehow they're going to be able to pay him what he wants in the summer, outbidding a field of suitors, while no longer being able to offer the 8th year. Okay then.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Pros:
Ottawa is one of the best NHL cities to live in once you're married and have children, amazing place to raise a family.
From nearby Haliburton, extremely close to his family. Probably likes winter.

Cons:
Melnyk
Losing
Melnyk
Aging arena / facilities
Melnyk
Cold winter
Melnyk
Higher taxes than US
Melnyk

It's basically City vs. Team.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Imagine being Duchene and getting traded to a team like Nashville. A great team, a great city, a well run organization, a likely Stanley Cup push. Then in July after all that goodness he’s like “yeah I’m going to move back to Kanata and play for Eugene and the Senators. I miss Bobby Ryan so much”.

Lol.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Imagine being Duchene and getting traded to a team like Nashville. A great team, a great city, a well run organization, a likely Stanley Cup push. Then in July after all that goodness he’s like “yeah I’m going to move back to Kanata and play for Eugene and the Senators. I miss Bobby Ryan so much”.

Lol.

Sounds about right. Haha.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Lol.

Not that I’m putting much hope in this report and I’ve already said my piece about it but a serious contender like Nashville for example would be in tough to meet his financial demands.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
*tinfoil hat on*

Melnyk knows what he is doing, kinda. He has deals in place with Karlsson, Duchene and Stone that he will trade them, and next year will be able to pay you all. He is making it look like he doesnt have enough money to pay them next year, so teams are more willing to pay a higher price because they believe Ottawa wont be able to do anything about it anyways, but really Eugene (The Brain) Melnyk, has had a plan all along.

You see, Melnyk isnt as broke as he wants you to think. Infact, he has more thank enough money saved to pay for all these players + more. He did it by only spending to the cap floor for a couple years, and while yes it hurt his team, he was able to save more money for a big splurge year, that will hopefully kickstart the market and help them get a new arena, more fans, more money etc.

Big Brain Melnyk has been playing us all along.

We are not worthy.

*tinfoil hat off*

Is that the same brain that used our 1st to acquire Duchene, knowing he was going to trade Duch, EK, Stone and likely end up last.

Lets be honest, the only loading up he's going to be doing after a rebuild is with alcohol, on his liver.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
This never really works out. Doubt Ottawa is the team to pull it off.

Happened just a few years ago with Matt Moulson and the Sabres. And the Sabres then were probably worse than the Sens are now, albeit with less drama/negative PR surrounding the team/ownership.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
If that's true then he has basically no value on the trade market . Ottawa might get 1st rd pick that's in the late 20's and c level prospects but that's all.

He'll be worth as much (more) than Stastny last season who went as a straight up rental considering he's much better than Stastny.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
He'll be worth as much (more) than Stastny last season who went as a straight up rental considering he's much better than Stastny.
No team is filling Ottawa's prospect depth with elite talent if they feel a deal is already in place for Duchene to return to Ottawa .

Last edited:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Not that I’m putting much hope in this report and I’ve already said my piece about it but a serious contender like Nashville for example would be in tough to meet his financial demands.

Nashville could move Turris or Bonino to make a deal work. They’re not excessively overpaid and remain productive. Preds can also consider Subban at $9M as well.

Duchene can be signed for $8M -$9M per and with no state taxes, it’ll be impossible for the Sens or most teams to match.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Is Melnyk also going to pull a Kevin Costner Draft Day coup and trick Colorado into trading their first overall back to Ottawa, while re-signing Duchene and then offer sheeting Rantanen or something? 5 year plan!

h2

Mar 26, 2002
No team is filling Ottawa's prospect depth with elite talent if they feel a deal is already in place for Duchene to return to Ottawa .

I like how you speak on behalf of the NHL, you have no idea if that is the case or not.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This would be classic. Sens undervalue Duchene at the TDL, he goes on a deep run with a contender, then the Sens overpay him on 7 year deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad