Confirmed with Link: Duchene to CBJ

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Good luck to you guys with Duchene. I hope he'll help you guys with a long playoff run. What's the consensus on the two prospects coming to Ottawa from a Columbus fan perspective? Cheers.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Sorry didn't read every post, but what does "The 2019 first round pick in the Duchene deal is lottery protected only if it’s a top 3 pick" mean?

That is, let's assume Blue Jackets final position is 9th in East, 13th in NHL like it is now. Does that automatically mean Ottawa got that pick? Regardless of whether Columbus wins the draft lottery?
So shortly, when does the protection kick in, before or after the lottery is done?

edit. Thinking this further, it has to be depending on the position before the draw, because only winning pick is drawn i.e. otherwise it would be only top-1 protected, right?
edit2. I forgot the top-3 are drawn these days, not only the winner.

Last edited:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Sorry didn't read every post, but what does "The 2019 first round pick in the Duchene deal is lottery protected only if it’s a top 3 pick" mean?

That is, let's assume Blue Jackets final position is 9th in East, 13th in NHL like it is now. Does that automatically mean Ottawa got that pick? Regardless of whether Columbus wins the draft lottery?
So shortly, when does the protection kick in, before or after the lottery is done?
Essentially, if we miss the playoffs and win the lottery (like that would ever happen), we keep this year's pick

Reactions: Jaymond Flurrie

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Essentially, if we miss the playoffs and win the lottery (like that would ever happen), we keep this year's pick

Interesting, then it sounds pretty weird to word it "top-3 protected" and not "Lottery win protected"?

edit. Oh I got this confused. The top-3 are drawn these days. Yeah, you are right.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Good luck to you guys with Duchene. I hope he'll help you guys with a long playoff run. What's the consensus on the two prospects coming to Ottawa from a Columbus fan perspective? Cheers.
Bottom-half top 10 organizational prospects. But last year they were both very highly regarded, just got passed up by some guys this year. Davidsson is speedy, has a good shot, and will probably be able to turn into a solid two-way player. Probably not more than a 2nd liner. Abramov could end up being an elite player, but could also get stuck in the AHL and eventually go back to Russia.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
On paper I like this deal, I just hope it doesn't bite us in the ass a couple years from now.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Yesterday, I admitted to being cautious about trades and going all in on this year... Said that I would be ok with a Duchene deal if it was the right cost.
Honestly, I think it's a fair trade and I'm fine with what we gave up to go for him. But, this is one of those trades that is really hard to judge... Because, we just gave up 3-4 future pieces for a center. Anyways, You have to give to get especially for a #1 center.

But, Abramov, Davidsson, 2019 1st, 2020 1st conditional- Seems pretty fair for me in all regards and I'm cautious at big moves. We were going to give up that 1st round pick if we were going to get Duchene. The extra 1st rounder seems pretty fair if we were to sign him to an extension as well. Plus, it's protected top 3 pick if we completely suck next year too without Panarin.

Yesterday, I was on board with trading Bread for the best offer. Now, I'm back on board with keeping Bread if Nashville/Winnipeg/Dallas don't want to pony up what it takes to get him. You don't want to pony it up... Fine, we'll roll with Bread, Bobrovsky, Duchene in the playoffs. I feel better about the playoffs with a 1A and a 1B center now. Plus, it's been awhile we truly felt we were going all in at a playoff run. I'm a STH- If we go all in with these 3- I'm going to the playoff games, rooting us on with newfound excitement rather than limping in. If we do give up Bread- We aren't in a mode of desperation and we are in full control of the market and can net back some 1st round picks anyhow.

Nashville was in on Duchene, well not anymore. We just took out one of their options. I feel like now, we are in a better position of trading Bread for some top pieces (if we so desire) because we took the #2 option on the market. Who has the #1 option on the market- We do as well.

It's too exciting of a day to pout about what we are doing. Plus, I was 100 percent going to the hockey game tomorrow to see Bread one last time, now I might get to see Duchene and Bread.. Even better

Go Blue Jackets!

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Yesterday, I admitted to being cautious about trades and going all in on this year... Said that I would be ok with a Duchene deal if it was the right cost.
Honestly, I think it's a fair trade and I'm fine with what we gave up to go for him. But, this is one of those trades that is really hard to judge... Because, we just gave up 3-4 future pieces for a center. Anyways, You have to give to get especially for a #1 center.

But, Abramov, Davidsson, 2019 1st, 2020 1st conditional- Seems pretty fair for me in all regards and I'm cautious at big moves. We were going to give up that 1st round pick if we were going to get Duchene. The extra 1st rounder seems pretty fair if we were to sign him to an extension as well. Plus, it's protected top 3 pick if we completely suck next year too without Panarin.

Yesterday, I was on board with trading Bread for the best offer. Now, I'm back on board with keeping Bread if Nashville/Winnipeg/Dallas don't want to pony up what it takes to get him. You don't want to pony it up... Fine, we'll roll with Bread, Bobrovsky, Duchene in the playoffs. I feel better about the playoffs with a 1A and a 1B center now. Plus, it's been awhile we truly felt we were going all in at a playoff run. I'm a STH- If we go all in with these 3- I'm going to the playoff games, rooting us on with newfound excitement rather than limping in. If we do give up Bread- We aren't in a mode of desperation and we are in full control of the market and can net back some 1st round picks anyhow.

Nashville was in on Duchene, well not anymore. We just took out one of their options. I feel like now, we are in a better position of trading Bread for some top pieces (if we so desire) because we took the #2 option on the market. Who has the #1 option on the market- We do as well.

It's too exciting of a day to pout about what we are doing. Plus, I was 100 percent going to the hockey game tomorrow to see Bread one last time, now I might get to see Duchene and Bread.. Even better

Go Blue Jackets!

The 2019 pick is a protected lottery pick. The 2020 conditional pick is not protected.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'm a strong believer in defensive players. You can be a good player with below team average +/- for a season or two... but being on the bottom of the team for several years is unacceptable imo.

Have you seen the teams he has played on in his career? Have you seen our (Senators) defensive corps this season? It's the worst blueline in the league by a significant margin. The fact that he's only -2 while the defensive zone is being "patrolled" by the likes of Mark Borowiecki and a bunch of rookies is nothing short of outstanding. In fact, between those defensively putrid Avs teams and our clusterfork of a back-end, I might even say that this Blue Jackets defence is the among the best 1 or 2 bluelines he's ever played in front of, ever.

Fun fact: that -2 rating he has this year is the third highest +/- among all forwards on our team this season.

Also: +/- is the worst stat in hockey.

He'll be just fine. Give him a 20 game sample size, and I guarantee you'll change your tune. He's never going to win a Selke, but his defensive game is entirely acceptable when you consider how much time he spends with the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad