Dubas opinion based on his interviews and decisions.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I can't answer that but I'm also not the one who needs to find the way. That's his job and I assume he's being compensated very well to perform it.

If the case is that Nylander is asking for too much and refuses to budge, I can't blame Dubas for that. Can you?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Why would he make a "sub-optimal move"? Anyone could do that, may as well have promoted Fletcher.

Get it done. Get it done to the Leafs satisfaction.
He, of course, wouldn't do so by choice - It takes two to tango, though, and if you want full value for a guy, but also to be rid of a distraction as quickly as possible, the urgency of the latter (as well as the simple acknowledgement of a distraction at all) might make it difficult to achieve the former.

The more urgency Dubas puts into this situation, the more of his own leverage he's taking away. As much as this is becoming a media circus that none of us are enjoying anymore, I have to think that the wisest move for Dubas is to remain patient, regardless of which avenue(s) he's pursuing.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Dubas hasn't made a mistake yet imo, what was he suppose to say, we'll be able to sign 2 out of 3? Glad Lou was passed over, Dubas was a sponge and having Dubas work under Lou was a smart move, but the Leafs are now into a new era and I see nothing but possibilities under Dubas's leadership.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He, of course, wouldn't do so by choice - It takes two to tango, though, and if you want full value for a guy, but also to be rid of a distraction as quickly as possible, the urgency of the latter (as well as the simple acknowledgement of a distraction at all) might make it difficult to achieve the former.

The more urgency Dubas puts into this situation, the more of his own leverage he's taking away. As much as this is becoming a media circus that none of us are enjoying anymore, I have to think that the wisest move for Dubas is to remain patient, regardless of which avenue(s) he's pursuing.

We need some urgency. He is too valuable for our playoff run and if push comes to shove can bring back a nice piece or two for the playoff run. Having him sit for the year does not benefit both sides.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Can't really grade him till we see the outcome of Willie's contract. However, I will give him props for:

a) beards are allowed again
b) video tributes (no one sees them unless you;re in attendance anyway unless you're like Marleau in San Jose)

I'd have added the Tavares signing to the above but I think regardless who the GM is at the time, JT would have still signed here. I'd credit Babcock moreso as who the coach is running the team.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
We need some urgency. He is too valuable for our playoff run and if push comes to shove can bring back a nice piece or two for the playoff run. Having him sit for the year does not benefit both sides.
If other teams want to trade for him, they're going to want to know they can do what the Leafs have so far been unable to do - Get him signed to a contract that works with their cap structure. Those teams are also going to know that the Leafs' hands are virtually tied, and can attempt to use this to their advantage in trade negotiations - Why would they offer us full value for an asset that we either trade or don't have for a year? Why would they offer us full value for an asset that not every team is able to accommodate (such as the Kessel 2.0 deal)? Nylander sitting out one year doesn't benefit the Leafs for that year, but I'd argue it's possible that having Nylander from 2020-2030 benefits the Leafs more long-term than having half of his value from 2019-2030 does.

As far as extensions with the Leafs go, does that urgency mean Dubas gives in to Nylander's demands, giving him more of the proverbial "cap pie" than initially intended, throwing his long-term cap structure out of whack before he ever had a chance to put it in place at all?

It's a fine and delicate balance, and it'll be interesting to see how these parties continue to navigate it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If the case is that Nylander is asking for too much and refuses to budge, I can't blame Dubas for that. Can you?
What Nylander wants isn't on Dubas, finding a way to resolve the situation is.
If we are sitting here having this same discussion November 30th will you feel the same? How about June 30th? Next camp?

Reactions: Daisy Jane

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

I get all that and I'm not implying that he needs to resolve this today but at some point he needs to find a way.
When does "urgency" kick in for you?

** I don't want anyone to take my posts as being anti-Dubas or that I'm inplying the task is easy.
As the expression goes, "that's why you get the big bucks".

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What Nylander wants isn't on Dubas, finding a way to resolve the situation is.
If we are sitting here having this same discussion November 30th will you feel the same? How about June 30th? Next camp?

It'll be resolved sooner or later one way or the other. The point is, it's not fair to say Dubas needs to resolve it as there are two sides involved here. And yes, I'll feel the same way whenever as to me it's a self-evident truth.

What do you if Nylander holds steady as 8M per season? Let him sit out the year? Trade him? What if the best you can get in a trade is 70c on the dollar, still make the trade? The point it that resolving this is easy, resolving it in a way that fans will be satisfied may well be impossible regardless of how much you say "he needs to resolve it, it's his job".

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I get all that and I'm not implying that he needs to resolve this today but at some point he needs to find a way.
When does "urgency" kick in for you?

** I don't want anyone to take my posts as being anti-Dubas or that I'm inplying the task is easy.
As the expression goes, "that's why you get the big bucks".

You keep saying Dubas "needs to find a way" to "resolve this".

What if they let Nylander sit out the year? Will you be here saying that Dubas failed, that he needed to "find a way" because he's "paid the big bucks"? Or would you consider the possibility that he had no better option?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It'll be resolved sooner or later one way or the other. The point is, it's not fair to say Dubas needs to resolve it as there are two sides involved here. And yes, I'll feel the same way whenever as to me it's a self-evident truth.

What do you if Nylander holds steady as 8M per season? Let him sit out the year? Trade him? What if the best you can get in a trade is 70c on the dollar, still make the trade? The point it that resolving this is easy, resolving it in a way that fans will be satisfied may well be impossible regardless of how much you say "he needs to resolve it, it's his job".
If he does anything with the intent of pleasing the fans, we are in trouble.
He needs to resolve things to his satisfaction.

You keep saying Dubas "needs to find a way" to "resolve this".

What if they let Nylander sit out the year? Will you be here saying that Dubas failed, that he needed to "find a way" because he's "paid the big bucks"? Or would you consider the possibility that he had no better option?

Yes, I'm not a hypocrite, he will have failed in my eyes.
Losing a whole season without resolving this is no good for the Leafs.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I for one do not hold Dubas responsible for the Nylander saga. Nylander's camp appears to have taken an unreasonable stance throughout contract negotiations.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If he does anything with the intent of pleasing the fans, we are in trouble.
He needs to resolve things to his satisfaction.

Yes, I'm not a hypocrite, he will have failed in my eyes.
Losing a whole season without resolving this is no good for the Leafs.

That's the whole point - there may end up being no good resolution and blaming Dubas for something that's out of his control makes no sense whatsoever. He could trade him for 70c on the dollar or sign him to an 8x7 contract, would that make you happy because the situation is "resolved"?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
That's the whole point - there may end up being no good resolution and blaming Dubas for something that's out of his control makes no sense whatsoever. He could trade him for 70c on the dollar or sign him to an 8x7 contract, would that make you happy because the situation is "resolved"?
It is in his control though.

Overpaying him to resolve this would be pretty stupid, so no that wouldn't make me happy.
It the return seems reasonable I would consider that making the best of a bad situation.
If they lose the year and the return isn't good, no I wouldn't be happy with that.

Is there any situation that you would hold him accountable?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

Overpaying him to resolve this would be pretty stupid, so no that wouldn't make me happy.
It the return seems reasonable I would consider that making the best of a bad situation.
If they lose the year and the return isn't good, no I wouldn't be happy with that.

It's not only in his control, and so Dubas shouldn't be the only one held accountable in any situation, frankly. Everyone should understand that there are multiple parties involved, seemingly with different goals - The outcome of such a scenario can't be put solely on one side, in my opinion, at least not with the information we fans currently have access to.

Unfortunately, because I don't have enough info regarding contract negotiations or trade offers, I can't say when "urgency" kicks in for me - All I'm planning to do (for now, at least) is keep holding out hope that Willy signs a contract that fits in our cap structure and remains a Leaf for a long time. My worst case scenarios, though, are getting terrible trade value for him, or signing him to a deal that we know handcuffs our future, and any urgency I have would go towards avoiding those outcomes.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

So if the choices are:

1 - sign him for too much money
2 - trade him for a poor return
3 - let him sit out the year

You would be happy with none of these options. Neither would I but I don't see how I can possibly blame Dubas if that's what the situation is.

That's my problem with you saying he needs to resolve it because it's his job and he makes the big bucks and so on, to me those are empty cliches which ignore that simple fact that sometimes there are no good solutions. If that's what ends up happening (and we're still a long way from that) then I trust Dubas to make the right decision. As far as holding him accountable, I do that every day no matter what. That doesn't mean I expect the guy to perform miracles though.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's not only in his control, and so Dubas shouldn't be the only one held accountable in any situation, frankly. Everyone should understand that there are multiple parties involved, seemingly with different goals - The outcome of such a scenario can't be put solely on one side, in my opinion, at least not with the information we fans currently have access to.

Unfortunately, because I don't have enough info regarding contract negotiations or trade offers, I can't say when "urgency" kicks in for me - All I'm planning to do (for now, at least) is keep holding out hope that Willy signs a contract that fits in our cap structure and remains a Leaf for a long time. My worst case scenarios, though, are getting terrible trade value for him, or signing him to a deal that we know handcuffs our future, and any urgency I have would go towards avoiding those outcomes.

Hopefully it won't come to that but if it does, Dubas will have a tough decision to make. If it's a choice between letting Nylander missing a year and trading him for 70c on the dollar, it may be better to let him sit. What about 90c on the dollar, them it may be better to take the deal. What about 80c? 83c? Deciding on what's an acceptable deal in that scenario is incredibly tough, I really hope it doesn't come down to that but if it does, I hope Dubas has the wisdom of Solomon.

Reactions: IBeL34f

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Hopefully it won't come to that but if it does, Dubas will have a tough decision to make. If it's a choice between letting Nylander missing a year and trading him for 70c on the dollar, it may be better to let him sit. What about 90c on the dollar, them it may be better to take the deal. What about 80c? 83c? Deciding on what's an acceptable deal in that scenario is incredibly tough, I really hope it doesn't come down to that but if it does, I hope Dubas has the wisdom of Solomon.
Dubas' is not a position I envy right now, that's for sure.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
I for one do not hold Dubas responsible for the Nylander saga. Nylander's camp appears to have taken an unreasonable stance throughout contract negotiations.
I don't think anyone does. It's how you handle it moving forward, what would a good GM do at this point?

I agree with ACC, Dubas gets paid the big bucks to resolve these issues which I'm sure he is diligently working on -- it's business as they say, all about results and let see how Kyle does.

Reactions: ACC1224

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Has anyones impression of Dubas changed because of the Nylander debacle?

I was uncertain about him to start but was willing to keep an open mind. The signing of Tavares and letting the UFA's walk made me more hopeful but I now find my faith wavering by this process dragging out.

I have to know what happens and why before I can think anything about it.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Yup. It looks like Dubas is going to be placed in the situation to know where that value cut off is.

Here's what I'd do if I'm Dubas:

1) Make my final best offer to Willie. For me that's $6.99mm x 8 as I ain't giving him $7mm because I'm a vindictive prick. Again, this is a final, best offer. No more negotiating, no more haggling. Oh, and the deadline is Nov 17 which gives me two final weeks to finalize a trade.
2) Find a trade partner(s) during the ensuing 3 weeks up to Nov 17. Decide what my cutoff point is in regards to the value to take, as per your examples above.
3) If I can't find a trade partner that would offer what I would consider an acceptable trade value then either Willie accepts my offer in point 1 or he sits out the year and we try again in the spring.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
So if the choices are:

1 - sign him for too much money
2 - trade him for a poor return
3 - let him sit out the year

You would be happy with none of these options. Neither would I but I don't see how I can possibly blame Dubas if that's what the situation is.

That's my problem with you saying he needs to resolve it because it's his job and he makes the big bucks and so on, to me those are empty cliches which ignore that simple fact that sometimes there are no good solutions. If that's what ends up happening (and we're still a long way from that) then I trust Dubas to make the right decision. As far as holding him accountable, I do that every day no matter what. That doesn't mean I expect the guy to perform miracles though.
Different viewpoint and I get where you're coming from, no worries.
I'm not as tolerant with those in charge and I find any excuse to be hollow.
Yes, they may be cliches but IMO, they ring true. If you hold the big job, you have to deliver.
Our Mayor and my local City Councilman will see that when they don't get my vote today.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
Yup. It looks like Dubas is going to be placed in the situation to know where that value cut off is.

1) Make my final best offer to Willie. For me that's $6.99mm x 8 as I ain't giving him $7mm because I'm a vindictive prick. Again, this is a final, best offer. No more negotiating, no more haggling. Oh, and the deadline is Nov 17 which gives me two final weeks to finalize a trade.
2) Find a trade partner(s) during the ensuing 3 weeks up to Nov 17. Decide what my cutoff point is in regards to the value to take, as per your examples above.
3) If I can't find a trade partner that would offer what I would consider an acceptable trade value then either Willie accepts my offer in point 1 or he sits out the year and we try again in the spring.
I more or less agree with where you're coming from. However, what about this alternative I posted on another thread:

Sign Willy to a 3yr - 5.5M bridge deal. This solves the cap crunch (for now) and holdout issue.

If Dubas can't renegotiate an acceptable long term deal after the bridge expires, then trade him for a top 2 or 3 D. You have to assume his value will only increase several years from now as opposed to trading him now.

Maybe this is easier said than done?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Yeah something like this is what will have to happen. The hardest part is deciding on what the cutoff would be in a trade, I'm not even sure where to begin with that one. Unfortunately for Willie, I'd guess we're not willing to compromise too much on value as there is some benefit to us in holding a hard line here (sends a message to everyone in future negotiations and there will be plenty of those in the years to come).

I really hope this 8M figure being tossed around isn't true because if it is, we have a really crappy situation on our hands.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Different viewpoint and I get where you're coming from, no worries.
I'm not as tolerant with those in charge and I find any excuse to be hollow.
Yes, they may be cliches but IMO, they ring true. If you hold the big job, you have to deliver.
Our Mayor and my local City Councilman will see that when they don't get my vote today.

I get where you're coming form too, I'm just a bit more tolerant than you I guess - you have to deliver OK, but at the same time, I understand that sometimes, delivery is impossible and in that situation, the guy who gets paid the big bucks has to make the best of a bad situation. If that's what happens here it's hard for me to criticise the guy before all the facts are in.

I more or less agree with where you're coming from. However, what about this alternative I posted on another thread:

Sign Willy to a 3yr - 5.5M bridge deal. This solves the cap crunch (for now) and holdout issue.

If Dubas can't renegotiate an acceptable long term deal after the bridge expires, then trade him for a top 2 or 3 D. You have to assume his value will only increase several years from now as opposed to trading him now.

Maybe this is easier said than done?

Yeah you would think a bridge deal is something that both parties can agree on as it's much preferable to both sides than sitting out a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad