Dubas opinion based on his interviews and decisions.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Of course he can win.

One of the keys to successful leadership is making things happen in difficult times.
Anyone can manage when the going is easy.

What is his path to winning? Do you have a dollar figure and term-length in mind?

It's hard to "make things happen" when the other side is steadfastly asking for way too much. This isn't a typical negotiation where we can make concessions in other areas like giving him more days off or making improvements to his benefits in order to bring down his salary ask. It's entirely about valuation.

Willy seems to want his cake and eat it, too. He either wants a long-term deal at a ludicrous valuation (~$8M), or a short-term deal with assurances he won't be traded when it comes time to re-up. Sorry Willy, doesn't work that way.

The point was that no matter what he does, someone here will find a way to criticize him for it. And I already see people (not you), creating their negative angles regardless of how this goes. Because their minds are made up on Dubas.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We were tied for 6th overall is your harbinger of imminent success? The Detroit Red Wings in the 90s set a franchise and I believe league record for regular season success and the following year traded Paul Coffey and Keith Primeau for Brendan Shanahan because it was clear the team needed pieces that would provide success in the post-season...where the Stanley Cup is actually won.

You agree I take it that the clubs named have a better defense than we do? But...even with that, couldn't see the need for 2-3 pieces that could or should be replaced if possible?

See, you take the next reasonable step and look at the forwards. With names like Josh Anderson out there, do you take him or do you resign to allow Freddie Gauthier to "play to his potential"? So let's say you agree that would be a reasonable step to help our club. You're now at 3-4 pieces...You don't think other pieces in the league could further augment the weaknesses we have in the post-season?

You keep shifting the goalposts. 5 players away is wacky.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What is his path to winning? Do you have a dollar figure and term-length in mind?

It's hard to "make things happen" when the other side is steadfastly asking for way too much. This isn't a typical negotiation where we can make concessions in other areas like giving him more days off or making improvements to his benefits in order to bring down his salary ask. It's entirely about valuation.

Willy seems to want his cake and eat it, too. He either wants a long-term deal at a ludicrous valuation (~$8M), or a short-term deal with assurances he won't be traded when it comes time to re-up. Sorry Willy, doesn't work that way.

The point was that no matter what he does, someone here will find a way to criticize him for it. And I already see people (not you), creating their negative angles regardless of how this goes. Because their minds are made up on Dubas.
I guess without knowing all the details, making things happen would be getting Nylanders side to make some concessions or moving him for a reasonable return.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I guess without knowing all the details, making things happen would be getting Nylanders side to make some concessions or moving him for a reasonable return.

He's been trying to get Nylander's side to do exactly that. If they were willing to make concessions, we'd have a deal in the high-6's/low-7's by now. I don't think Dubas is being the hard-ass here.

Re: trading -- I just don't see many teams lining up to pay Nylander high-7's/low-8's right now. His value is very low right now, he looks like a bit of a problem, and what we're looking for (top-4 RHD) is not exactly in high abundance.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He's been trying to get Nylander's side to do exactly that. If they were willing to make concessions, we'd have a deal in the high-6's/low-7's by now. I don't think Dubas is being the hard-ass here.

Re: trading -- I just don't see many teams lining up to pay Nylander high-7's/low-8's right now. His value is very low right now, he looks like a bit of a problem, and what we're looking for (top-4 RHD) is not exactly in high abundance.
Yes it's difficult, if it wasn't it he would be signed.
IMO, difficult isn't an excuse, he needs to find a way around it.
They are speaking again today so perhaps he has.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I don't think it means one thing or the other. I know precisely what it means...What's it to you?

Apparently you don't because you just did it, and then asked somebody else if they knew what it means.

What is it to me? You're posting on a message board and I'm replying to you. That's how this works. I don't understand the question.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
Apparently you don't because you just did it, and then asked somebody else if they knew what it means.

What is it to me? You're posting on a message board and I'm replying to you. That's how this works. I don't understand the question.

I didn't. I asked a clarifying question on evidence that prompted the question.

Well the accusation was directed at me and I responded with a clarifying question back. Isn't it good sense to at least allow me to respond to the first question before seizing the opportunity to whatever gain could be had by you for whatever reason?

Edited: prompted.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I didn't. I asked a clarifying question on evidence that begged the question.

Well the accusation was directed at me and I responded with a clarifying question back. Isn't it good sense to at least allow me to respond to the first question before seizing the opportunity to whatever gain could be had by you for whatever reason?

Gain had by me? The hell are you talking about?

Nevermind man. Clearly I touched a nerve somehow.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Asking a question or asking for clarification isn't a dismissal of the statement provided.

You should read the original post I responded to, I think you've forgotten what's being discussed here.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Yeah that Calder cup and John Tavares really sucks.
What the hell does this have to do with us having Marincin on our roster or Holl and Sparks. Sorry but he shares in the blame for our roster as I know that Babcock did not want Marincin and Sparks and why is Gunny not playing wing for us? He required no waivers. If we lost Marincin to waivers would it hurt our team? Or the Goat..Not one bit.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
What the hell does this have to do with us having Marincin on our roster or Holl and Sparks. Sorry but he shares in the blame for our roster as I know that Babcock did not want Marincin and Sparks and why is Gunny not playing wing for us? He required no waivers. If we lost Marincin to waivers would it hurt our team? Or the Goat..Not one bit.

"Blame" for our roster? What? The roster that includes Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Rielly...?

Remember before when you and I had a back and forth about whether or not you would admit when you're wrong? This is the type of thing I'm talking about. You want to "blame" Dubas for guys in the pressbox and the backup goalie, but you're surely not going to give him any credit for any of the good on this team.

Again, I'm not calling you a liar. I think you are unable of thinking clearly enough to realize you're wrong, because you clearly hate the guy.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
Opportunism for what?

Are you ok man? Seriously, you sound like a crazy person.

I'm well, thanks. Re: opportunism...It's bad form to intervene in a conversation that although is visible for anyone to respond to, doesn't require intervention and should probably be allowed to play out between the two concerned. It might be an antiquated notion now, but it's certainly not something that renders someone "crazy" for wanting it to remain between the concerned.

As for what? I don't know what your personal motivation was, but it wasn't an appropriate time to jump in.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
You should read the original post I responded to, I think you've forgotten what's being discussed here.

I didn't and I think you took my response in a way it certainly wasn't meant to be taken. Apparently, in offense where none was intended.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
"Blame" for our roster? What? The roster that includes Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Rielly...?

Remember before when you and I had a back and forth about whether or not you would admit when you're wrong? This is the type of thing I'm talking about. You want to "blame" Dubas for guys in the pressbox and the backup goalie, but you're surely not going to give him any credit for any of the good on this team.
I am merely pointing out that blaming only Babcock is wrong the roster needs changes. Dubas needs to share the blame for our roster as some of the decisions were directly on him. The Goat and Marincin as well as Sparks all are Dubas selections.

Dubas signed JT and I gave him credit for it so I seriously do not know wtf you are talking about.

There is far more I can say about Dubas but that is for another time. This is a thread about Babcock and Dubas has to share some of any blame based on his selections as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad