Confirmed with Link: Drouin taking indefinite leave of absence for personal reasons - placed on LTIR (Mod warn #28, 382

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Someone might walk by and hear you and think wow, what a jerk but in reality, you are just out with friends and playfully insulting them because the parameters are different and you feel safe in doing so. You don't think for a second that people are hurt or offended by it.
This board is bad for players, sometimes, not everybody, the minority who post negativly on daily basis always make more noise, but if I read rds, tva sport, journal de montreal or any facebook sport fan board, the insults are worst than here. And so vulgar and badly written. Very few places have mods that keep angry fans to a civilized level. I guess players and their family have to avoid reading all this but they can't help reading it. Social media is addictive like alcool or drugs are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Public relations is what I would call it. It happens everyday in the sports and entertainment world, celebrities and athletes many of whom are paid millions of dollars to perform on the field/screen and are also required to be the face of the companies that pay them. Normal stuff.

It's totally normal to put Drouin ahead of...let's say Gallagher as a face of the franchise?
I don't agree.

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Not biting, but I'll just say it's not their vile genes they pass down, but the vile values and poor parenting they replicate.

You know as much as me that all the findings on MAO-A are pretty murky and inconsistent.

But there's ton of findinds on the impact of bad parenting.

Human offspring inherit their parents dna, a combination of both parents and science has proven that the faculties of a degenerate/defective contributor can be passed down to the offspring. Intangibles of rearing may and can contribute to the detriment of the offspring.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Can't be good though going forward, I mean everyone already knows that it's a tough city to play in, but this might make things worse to UFA's and mostly local players.
The way they were able to sell you on wanting to play here, it won't work anymore. Players unless drafted will not want to come here in the long run.
Danault is as good as gone this summer, mark my words!

Reactions: Kimota

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Unless the public is specifically singling you out by name in public, it’s not at all the same thing...sorry

Imagine showing up to work every day and having fans who boo you? And you hear it at home too? You would have to be really thick skinned to be able to handle that for years! Comical or not, it can affect anyone

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It's a struggle of mine as I get older and try to set better examples but I have habits. I think we can all fall in the group bandwagon trap thinking others are not affected and because you are in a group, you feel safe. I'm personally OK with most things as long as it's not malicious. People in gangs or on social media hiding behind a screen... I know they are better than their actions sometimes. Human behaviors in different situations can and is often different.

An older friend told me, you have two ears and one mouth. Listen twice and think before you speak. The ones who are typically respected speak less often
None of us are getting any younger. I just think that people need to relax a little bit, don't go jumping up and down assuming things about a pro athlete as if they were the guy's childhood friend.

We don't know why he is taking a leave of absence so we should just accept it and move on until the true details emerge as to why he is stepping back. It is also dangerous to attack fellow posters on a message board for their views because they do not reflect our own, live and let live is a much better course of action.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
This forum started getting really negative and really ugly about 5 years ago which is why I stopped posting and only read maybe 3 times a year. As far as Drouin goes, personally I hope he gets well, hockey wise, I hope he never plays another game for us again.

Reactions: dukeofjive

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
So what, he is a professional and should block it. I am on the board of a publicly traded company and if you think the shit athletes get is much, you can not believe the abuse we get on social media and other platforms by some , even some that never even own 1 dollar worth of stock in the company and they think they know better.

Sure I would suggest a lot of companies

1) do more harm for society then just a shitty hockey player

AND

2) it's faceless abuse as opposed to towards him personally

I get abuse all the time at work and I can handle it but I've seen people not be able to handle it and crack. Everyone is different and everyone has different ways of dealing with it.

Reactions: tazsub3 and le_sean

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
None of us are getting any younger. I just think that people need to relax a little bit, don't go jumping up and down assuming things about a pro athlete as if they were the guy's childhood friend.

We don't know why he is taking a leave of absence so we should just accept it and move on until the true details emerge as to why he is stepping back. It is also dangerous to attack fellow posters on a message board for their views because they do not reflect our own, live and let live is a much better course of action.

Good post.

Question for you cause nobody else commented yet. If he is going on LTIR? Doesn't that mean it's something he is dealing with and it appears its not a physical injury? If it was family related, I am not sure the NHL would allow you to move any contract to LTIR?

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Bro, personally by name, they even once got hold of my home phone number and insulted my wife as i was traveling. It happens way more then people realize ,as we dont have the media reporting on our lives but the abuse is still there, but it come with the territory, if you on a public company's board , you in public life and idiots do exist, i just block it, and do my job to the best of my ability

You're lucky enough to be able to function even through depression and i'm happy for you, really. But I went through one myself and I was doing jack shit in my bed not even able to make myself some f***ing pasta for over a whole year.
Like you should know, not everyone is the same while dealing with mental illness. I also doubt you had panic attack over and over for the tiny tiniest little obstacle such as answering the phone if you were capable of doing all of that.
Very jealous of you, good for you. Also, if Drouin can't function while dealing with mental illness, you have no right to assume that it's easy as you had it for everyone else to pick themselves up.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Imagine showing up to work every day and having fans who boo you? And you hear it at home too? You would have to be really thick skinned to be able to handle that for years! Comical or not, it can affect anyone

I would do this for league minimum.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Why would the trainer call you off the ice?

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It's totally normal to put Drouin ahead of...let's say Gallagher as a face of the franchise?
I don't agree.
Is it normal for a corporation to choose one actor over another to represent a new campaign? I don't know, but it happens. The company/team must feel as though it was in their best interests to select who they did that best appeals to the audience that they are trying to reach.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014

You really are the wise old man of this board.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Also you get to play hockey with 20 other guys. Where do I sign up for this lol??

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
like most of the you, the non-dickheads on these boards, I wish Jonathan only the best, and good care if he's suffering from depression or any other mental hardships. There's no question whatever he's going through has been exacerbated by the pandemic.
As per the player, he's never been a good fit here. The expectations were through the roof - not entirely created in Montreal. The expectations were high in TB (no 3 overall) where he was traded away because they felt he was bigger than the team and wanted an extended role. This rep preceded him in the Q and in Montreal he was miscast as a C in a trade that has reflected very poorly on Bergevin. Look, he is what he is, a soft, streaky 50 PT winger who is never going to drive play and is not mentally tough enough to play in a market that elevates french players to god-like status.
Is that part of the story fair? absolutely not. Are there french players who can handle it? yes.
Does it reflect poorly on him? no.
does it reflect poorly on the fringe, sensationalist part of the media that whips a part of our fanbase into a demented frenzy? yes

Wishing him the best and a fresh start with another team next year where he won't have the burden of that contract or expectation of carrying a team offensively.
also health; he hasn't been able to stay healthy for the last 3 years

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
You're lucky enough to be able to function even through depression and i'm happy for you, really. But I went through one myself and I was doing jack shit in my bed not even able to make myself some f***ing pasta for over a whole year.
Like you should know, not everyone is the same while dealing with mental illness. I also doubt you had panic attack over and over for the tiny tiniest little obstacle such as answering the phone if you were capable of doing all of that.
Very jealous of you, good for you. Also, if Drouin can't function while dealing with mental illness, you have no right to assume that it's easy as you had it for everyone else to pick themselves up.
Well i did have panic attacks, and even suicidal thoughts, but you are right some can face them and some cant. though back to drouin, you are assuming that is what is having while i started my whole discussion by saying i dont believe that based on his precedence with Tampa and what he said about assists and being relegated to the 4th line few days before his disappearance.
I also said if it becomes a fact that that is what he going through, then i am wrong

Jul 6, 2016
like most of the you, the non-dickheads on these boards, I wish Jonathan only the best, and good care if he's suffering from depression or any other mental hardships. There's no question whatever he's going through has been exacerbated by the pandemic.
As per the player, he's never been a good fit here. The expectations we're through the roof - not entirely created in Montreal. The expectations were high in TB (no 3 overall) where he was traded away because they felt he was bigger than the team and wanted an extended role. This rep preceded him in the Q and in Montreal he was miscast as a C in a trade that has reflected very poorly on Bergevin. Look, he is what he is, a soft, streaky 50 PT winger who is never going to drive play and is not mentally tough enough to play in a market that elevates french players to god-like status.
Is that part of there story fair? absolutely not. Are there french players who can handle it? yes.
Does it reflect poorly on him? no.

Wishing him the best and a fresh start with another team next year where he won't have the burden of that contract or expectation of carrying a team offensively.
also health; he hasn't been able to stay healthy for the last 3 years

Let's trade Drouin for Subban. We know Subban can thrive in the MTL environnement. Even if he is now way slower, people would forgive him and would give him a great welcome back support.

Reactions: Scintillating10

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I didn't hint at a double standard exactly, just that this is always how its been, a player stepping out shouldn't change wether or not a player deserves some kind of respect or what ever treatment he should/should not get.

Right now, the media just drew the line at stepping out for personal reasons. What if a player spirals down all year into substance abuse, or depression and just never talks about it ? Its the same shit.

There is no difference between a player enduring silently and publicly stepping out. Thats actually insane that people don't see this.

Im not sure they act differently, maybe the QC born players/Francophone are more exposed because they can read/hear in both languages and because they get more exposure for being more available to the media or something.
Voilà.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Good post.

Question for you cause nobody else commented yet. If he is going on LTIR? Doesn't that mean it's something he is dealing with and it appears its not a physical injury? If it was family related, I am not sure the NHL would allow you to move any contract to LTIR?
That is way above my pay grade and something I can't comment on because the NHL and it's teams have many rules that I don't understand. We will just have to wait and see.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Drouin seems like a genuinely good person. He doesn't deserve anything beyond measured criticism as a player. Everything else is outside the lines. and he doesn't deserve any more criticism than a number of vets who have underwhelmed.
This province needs to let go of the mythology of the quebecois hockey player as folk hero and let them breathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad