Confirmed with Link: Drouin taking indefinite leave of absence for personal reasons - placed on LTIR (Mod warn #28, 382

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki time soon.
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I have to believe people are not born that way. I think the road people travel defines us all and the genes are a factor but how you surround yourself influences your attitude. I think people are better than their actions. I have to believe that no matter the evidence. People can change

Sure many people can be ''groomed'' and taught ways but science insists that some people are born this way,not trying to push a Lady Gaga song btw. People are born with defects be it physical or mental and many are able to mask to a degree,others not.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There's more to only points to evaluate a player.

I don't like Drouin. Why?
Cause he's scared of going into traffic or getting hit, he's bad defensively.

No matter how many points he ends up with, he ends up in the minus and most year he ends up the worst forward in that column. There's more goals happening against us when he's the ice. His offensive production is one thing. That part is a fact by the way. Every year it's the same, even in Tampa.

Drouin isn't a poor victim of unfair treatments. There's reasons to not like him.
Montreal can be cruel place for hockey players, but Drouin isn't treated unfairly.

We trashed Pacioretty who cost even less than Drouin cause he was not going into traffic enough, lack some passion and aggression in his game, lack of leadership and so on. Pacioretty is 10 times better than Drouin ever was and got trashed 10 times more at the end being attacked on every side.

I didn't like that part of Pacioretty's game and criticize him for it, won't like it more coming for Drouin either.

I rather focus on Drouin's points than his ability to be a physical forward. One is more reachable than the other with his toolbox. It's just not my style to dwell on negatives cause I see not value from it. And at time like this, we need to show compassion.

I am more disappointed in Price and Weber than I am with Drouin this year. You don't have to agree

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Seems like a nice guy, hope he gets whatever’s bothering him figured out.

If it is the pressure it might be best for him to go to another market. Mtl can be brutal on local guys, just ask Patrice Brisebois the crap he took I’m surprised he came back from Col.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
This is a public forum. The GDT's consist mainly of vicious insults towards the players, one reason I can never read them. I sincerely don't understand the need to instantly insult players the moment they make a bad play. And it reflects poorly on our fan base I would say, its a microcosm of a larger problem that extends to other areas of public life. The only reason it's an "unwritten assumption" is that it justifies the behaviour.

It's a hockey board, when a player makes an error he's the worst player in the world, when he makes a good play, he's the second coming of Lemieux... In the GDT's we always talk about player's level of play, I almost never see personal things about players.

Reactions: habsfan891

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Yup, I love Robin. He is such a smart person too.

Why do they not have the Leafs or Philly on that list ?
I don’t know about Toronto, but no one cares about hockey in Philly just like Boston & New York. Hockey is a blue collar sport in the Northeast & Mid-western US - i.e those who can’t afford to get season tickets for “real pro sports” (MLB, NBA or NFL) fall back on NHL.

I’ve noticed there’s a large contingent of firefighters & police officers who make up the season ticket base in all 3-cities for NHL, whereas Incestment bankers & law firms makeup the vast majority of season tix for the other 3-pro-sports

Last edited:

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Really hate the Habs not saying anything and running their organisation like the KGB/FBI

It will once again lead to a lot more speculation ( sick wife sick kid, dying parents, drugs, depression.......) than coming out with the truth.

He did the pregame skate and pulled himself out so none of it makes any sense
Panic attack.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It's a hockey board, when a player makes an error he's the worst player in the world, when he makes a good play, he's the second coming of Lemieux... In the GDT's we always talk about player's level of play, I almost never see personal things about players.
I have been here through a lot of GDT's as you have and the majority of it consists of hot takes and humor. The game is moving fast and the posts are a reflection of that, everything is fair game and the majority of it is as deep as a cup full of water. I don't understand how people could have gotten offended by anything in our game day threads.

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
It could be something else, but given comments from Danault, Marc Denis and other people around the team it does indeed look like this is the issue.
Thanks I had not heard and admittedly have not read all the posts in the thread. Well hope he can get better.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I make the mistake of listenting to their shows from time to time and I've never heard anything beyond normal about Drouin. People calling him what he is on the ice. Never heard names, insults or anything. He's trying to be a smart ass about someones mental health and dress it up in another costume. Gross.

The most bizarre thing is if you are a Habs fan and you also feel that throwing players under the bus and doing it over and over again helps our team. It doesn't. It's negative energy. What's the point?

I rather look for context and areas of why they are struggling. Passion to want our team win has some fans confused to a point where they jump on the bandwagon and constant jabs in their games. What are the motives? To get Bergevin fired or have him trade Drouin for nothing and force us to retain salary? I don't see the point of constant negative energy. I do understand frustration though but how we all handle that is different

Last edited:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Millhouse, you've been here a long time as have I and many others it's never been this bad. The vile and incessant personal attacks on players like Danault and Drouin and Weber and so on are worse than they've ever been. Read a GTD from 10 years ago and read one now. It's mindboggling the hate from "Habs" fans. A lot of people liked Eller (myself included). A lot didn't. It never got as personal as calling him a CANCER continuously. Go read the Drouin Redemption thread. Many were openly wishing that what has happened to him would happen.

Maybe it's a generational thing. Maybe it's the Trumpification of our society. Maybe it's the pandemic and people having too much idle time, not working or working from home. How someone post 100 times a day here, day in and day out, with 95% for their posts being vicious towards the players and coaches? You don't do that. Most here don't do that. But the board is dominated with vicious vile people with nothing else in their life it seems.

Price for me is a good example.

From the very first year he was here....they never let him breathe. From pictures of him drinking beers and people going nuts because he was doing rodeos in the summer to the invention of stories about Price cheating on his wife and even had a baby with another women. I remember JiC calling him "le veau d'or" back in the days, before he had his big contract and he was playing well on top of that during those years. That was 10 years ago.

Another good example was Gomez. Oh the medias found it funny as hell when someone put him on Kijiji to be sold for crap. Medias loved it. They even made a funny song on Gomez to trash him. They absolutely destroyed him and that was also 10 years ago.

Do we remember what we did to Brisebois?

I don't think it's generational thing. It's been like that for a long time.
Social medias made it worst with time cause everybody is on them these days but this is true for every public figure, not only sports figure.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Why do they go to Toronto then ? Why do they go to Philly ?

Im thinking there's much more to it than just media circus but what ever.

Im also unsure if the Habs would be better or not if this didn't exist.
Montreal should be a huge draw, the charm of a Euro city, renowned night life, great place for a young dude to enjoy life and also a great city to raise a family. The media and the onus on having French guys running the team kills any of the positives.
I mean jeez, Montreal should be on par with Vancouver not Calgary when it comes to attracting players.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I have been here through a lot of GDT's as you have and the majority of it consists of hot takes and humor. The game is moving fast and the posts are a reflection of that, everything is fair game and the majority of it is as deep as a cup full of water. I don't understand how people could have gotten offended by anything in our game day threads.

The ones who have thin skin can take hot takes and humor the wrong way though. You have to know your audience and who may or may not hear what you are saying.... one way or another. I talk differently in front of my guy friends vs when I'm going out for couples night. Reality

Sensitivity is higher with some and lower with others. It's an interesting thing in our world today. Those with thick skin need to show compassion cause not everyone has it

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Do we know for sure the leave us because of the criticism and pressure or could it be he has other things in his life and we should not assume?
No one knows, it's mostly speculation because it's a hockey message board. The same people that tell you to ignore what players and Gm's say when asked questions by the media are now "assuming" one thing and running with it and slamming people left and right.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Not sure I totally buy that. It depends on who would be coming back.

Like, do you think Montreal could build a Drouin deal with Columbus around Domi? Obviously Domi has a slightly lower cap hit and one less year, so Montreal would probably have to add, but Domi has been brutal in Columbus and might welcome a return to Montreal to Montreal where he had success and would get to play with his buddy Anderson. Montreal could probably use his help in transition and playmaking.

Or a guy like Ristolainen, who has been terrible for a long time in Buffalo, but that might be due to role or too much responsibilities.

There are guys in the Drouin mold out there, if Montreal really wanted to get something done, they probably could.
Drouin doesn't get you Risto,

boboche

Oct 11, 2017
Los Altos, CA
Read a GTD from 10 years ago and read one now. It's mindboggling the hate from "Habs" fans.

I totally agree with that. I've been on this board for more than 10 years, and while it's always been negative, it's way worst since the last couple of years.

Even on a post-game thread after a victory, people are negative now. I even see some being angry when the player they hate scores the winning goal! what kind of fan is that!

It's also "funny" how some posters happens to hate players named Drouin, Danault, Bouillon, Dandenault, Brisebois, Pouliot, Leblanc, Ribeiro, etc. and their justification is "well they're hype by the french media so I'm justified in my hate" as if it was some kind of balance.

Anyway, I'm just a fan and the constant negativy affects me and ruin my pleasure of being a long time lurker of this board. So I can't imagine what it is when you're a player!

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario

From the very first year he was here....they never let him breathe. From pictures of him drinking beers and people going nuts because he was doing rodeos in the summer to the invention of stories about Price cheating on his wife and even had a baby with another women. I remember JiC calling him "le veau d'or" back in the days, before he had his big contract and he was playing well on top of that during those years. That was 10 years ago.

Another good example was Gomez. Oh the medias found it funny as hell when someone put him on Kijiji to be sold for crap. Medias loved it. They even made a funny song on Gomez to trash him. They absolutely destroyed him and that was also 10 years ago.

Social medias made it worst with time cause everybody is on them these days but this is true for every public figure, not only sports figure.
I certainly agree with you about the media. I think it was worse back then. Remember 110%? I was refering to the vile, nasty and incessant posts on this board by a select few.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I think anyone conflating good faith criticism of Drouin (IE's not good enough, soft etc...) and the kind of very rare but garbage you see on social media (IE he needs to be run out of the province, he should be ashamed of himself etc..) is a piece of shit. I'm seeing it from at least one member of the Montreal media and it's really sad to see. Just using this moment where someone is down and out to score little victories on twitter. Awful.

So what, he is a professional and should block it. I am on the board of a publicly traded company and if you think the shit athletes get is much, you can not believe the abuse we get on social media and other platforms by some , even some that never even own 1 dollar worth of stock in the company and they think they know better.
But you know what, i dont like it , but i did not stop doing my job cause of it either.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

The question is how do we change? Just cause it's been that way for a long time, it don't make it right.

I agree with you that social media has made it worse. Snow ball effect and some people are so gullible and easily influenced... Some see comments by others and do deeper with it. It gets out of control. I think we are better than this

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
There's more to only points to evaluate a player.

I don't like Drouin. Why?
Cause he's scared of going into traffic or getting hit, he's bad defensively.

No matter how many points he ends up with, he ends up in the minus and most year he ends up the worst forward in that column. There's more goals happening against us when he's the ice. His offensive production is one thing. That part is a fact by the way. Every year it's the same, even in Tampa.

Drouin isn't a poor victim of unfair treatments. There's reasons to not like him.
Montreal can be cruel place for hockey players, but Drouin isn't treated unfairly.

We trashed Pacioretty who cost even less than Drouin cause he was not going into traffic enough, lack some passion and aggression in his game, lack of leadership and so on. Pacioretty is 10 times better than Drouin ever was and got trashed 10 times more at the end being attacked on every side.

I didn't like that part of Pacioretty's game and criticize him for it, won't like it more coming for Drouin either.
thank you , you saved me writing a long message that would practically be a copy of yours!
Druin in fact was trated way way better then many others similar to him.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
So what, he is a professional and should block it. I am on the board of a publicly traded company and if you think the shit athletes get is much, you can not believe the abuse we get on social media and other platforms by some , even some that never even own 1 dollar worth of stock in the company and they think they know better.
But you know what, i dont like it , but i did not stop doing my job cause of it either.

The unfortunate reality is that not all humans are built the same. Some of us break when others might not. If you're someone with an anxiety disorder and someone starts harassing your parents in public, that's gonna f*** you up something fierce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad