TSN: Drouin asked for a trade in November, should MB make a move ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
This is all sadly funny to me...I would LOVE Drouin on the Canadiens, but sadly even if we did get him, Therrien would probably bench him constantly and do no more for his development than Tampa.

I'm pretty sure #FireTherrien would play him a lot, he did it with Gallagher and Galchenyuk at the same age. Drouin is not Andrigettho. #FireTherrien plays young players a lot.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Matthew Carle, signed for 2 more years at $5.5M.
Jason Garrison, signed for 2 more years at $4.6M.
Victor Hedman, signed for 1 more years at $4.0M.
Slater Koekkoek, in the minor, ELC, top prospect of the Tampa Bay lightning.

That's the depth of the Tampa Bay Lightning on the left side on D.
Why would they even want Beaulieu?
That's not what they need, they are already fully loaded on the left side.

McCarron is the name that should be out there if there's anything.
Tampa desperately need size upfront.
If Stamkos leave, they will desperately need help down the middle

- McCarron
- Carr
- Good pick (1st or 2nd round pick)

That MIGHT get the job done but i wouldn't do it.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Matthew Carle, signed for 2 more years at $5.5M.
Jason Garrison, signed for 2 more years at $4.6M.
Victor Hedman, signed for 1 more years at $4.0M.
Slater Koekkoek, in the minor, ELC, top prospect of the Tampa Bay lightning.

That's the depth of the Tampa Bay Lightning on the left side on D.
Why would they even want Beaulieu?
That's not what they need, they are already fully loaded on the left side.

McCarron is the name that should be out there if there's anything.
Tampa desperately need size upfront.
If Stamkos leave, they will desperately need help down the middle

- McCarron
- Carr
- Good pick (1st or 2nd round pick)

That MIGHT get the job done but i wouldn't do it.

You're right. I wouldn't trade McCarron for Drouin... so there's no deal. Drouin will be traded in SJ/STL or another western team.

Drouin for Meier or Marco Mueller. I can see that happening.

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
Are West coast teams really going to be lining up and selling the farm on a small, soft, skill first player? He's basically the opposite of the big, tough, defensive west coast style we see today. Just an observation.

If I was Bergy I would totally call Yzerman's bluff. Offer a good but reasonable package like Juulsen/Scherback and a 1st and just leave it on the table. I really can't see a team offering a whole lot more. Could be a Vanek like situation where Yzerman ends up handcuffed by expecting to get a kings ransom and scaring potential suitors away. Sending him back to Bergevin's offer in the end.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Why the **** would it be ? It's not a Toronto / Montreal or Boston / Montreal trade. I can understand an overpayment but lightyear... **** Yzerman if so.

Because it's in the same division. The Lightning know that Drouin has the potential to be a great player, that's why he was taken so early in the draft. They don't want to play vs him 5 times a year, nor do they want to help a team they are directly competing against for a playoff spot.

I assume that's why we don't see many trades between the Bruins, Leafs, Senators and our Habs. Not because the fanbases dislike each other..

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
. Could be a Vanek like situation where Yzerman ends up handcuffed by expecting to get a kings ransom and scaring potential suitors away. Sending him back to Bergevin's offer in the end.

The difference being that Stevie Y isn't really forced to trade Drouin in the same the NYI had to trade Vanek. Apples and Oranges.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Markov is dangerously slowing down. You can't be sure that a meaningful UFA will sign here next summer, so to make an important move based on that is not serious. You simply cannot give Beaulieu for a player that is still a prospect, at top prospect, but a prospect.

A LD should definitely be the top-priority at the draft, even if we don't trade Beaulieu

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
The difference being that Stevie Y isn't really forced to trade Drouin in the same the NYI had to trade Vanek. Apples and Oranges.

True enough. But he can't just wait forever. Well, I guess technically he could but does he really want to turn a top 3 draft pick in to nothing just to prove a point? He needs to make a move at some point. All I'm saying is we put in a good offer and leave it at that. I don't believe for a minute any out of conference teams are going to blow them away with a trade. Drouin is just potential at this point.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
would love to be in MB's office, just sitting and listening.....

any player that comes here will feel the low ice time , compared to DD

Davebo*

Will ‏@HeyMyNameIsWill · 5m5 minutes ago
Bob McKenzie on @TSN690: In order for Tampa to trade Drouin to MTL/OTT, the offer "would have to be light years better than everyone else"

I hope you're right, Bob. I also hope Bergevin stays far away from this. No need for another small forward - especially one we'd have to overpay for.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
It's a real mess for the Lightning, they aren't going to get good value for Drouin at all. That's the problem when you have a coach that the players hate... No more Drouin, no more Stamkos, Johnson regressing... It can destroy a contender real fast.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
It's a real mess for the Lightning, they aren't going to get good value for Drouin at all. That's the problem when you have a coach that the players hate... No more Drouin, no more Stamkos, Johnson regressing... It can destroy a contender real fast.

example: MT in hab land

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Eller + Tinordi + Beaulieu + first (top15 protected).

For

Drouin.

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher
Drouin - Galchenyuk - Carr
Weise - DD - Fleishmann
DSP - Mitchell - Byron

Extra : Flynn/Andrighetto

And next year McCaron and Hudon takes Fleishmann and DDs spot

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

For

Drouin.

Weise - DD - Fleishmann
DSP - Mitchell - Byron

And ...

Markov-Subban
Petry-Emelin
Gilbert-Pateryn

Yikes !

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
Because it's in the same division. The Lightning know that Drouin has the potential to be a great player, that's why he was taken so early in the draft. They don't want to play vs him 5 times a year, nor do they want to help a team they are directly competing against for a playoff spot.

I assume that's why we don't see many trades between the Bruins, Leafs, Senators and our Habs. Not because the fanbases dislike each other..

Another way to look at it, though, would be that, if you really don't think there is that much upside to the player, you essentially poison the other team. You're taking a good asset from them and giving them one you don't think has much value. Hence the quote someone posted earlier from Sam Pollock about knowing the player you are giving up. If you're confident he's not going to be of much value, you're hurting the intra-division rival two fold. OTOH, if you think he has value, keep him and develop him.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Another way to look at it, though, would be that, if you really don't think there is that much upside to the player, you essentially poison the other team. You're taking a good asset from them and giving them one you don't think has much value. Hence the quote someone posted earlier from Sam Pollock about knowing the player you are giving up. If you're confident he's not going to be of much value, you're hurting the intra-division rival two fold. OTOH, if you think he has value, keep him and develop him.

yes i posted the Sam comment....better be sure what you are giving up......

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Its easier to get a top 3-5 dman than a superstar in the making

Is it easier to get a top 2 dman that a potential star center? Especially since said dman is much closer to his top potential and has finally been developing properly?

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

For

Drouin.

Weise - DD - Fleishmann
DSP - Mitchell - Byron

Absolutely not.

I wouldn't trade Drouin for Beaulieu straight up (not that Yzerman would either, but yeah..)

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Is it easier to get a top 2 dman that a potential star center? Especially since said dman is much closer to his top potential and has finally been developing properly?

Beaulieu will never be a top2. He cant produce number. Since hes a pro he never has. Hes good, i like him, but hes closer to a Petry/Goligoski than to a Markov, Seabrook, Rosi.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Beaulieu will never be a top2. He cant produce number. Since hes a pro he never has. Hes good, i like him, but hes closer to a Petry/Goligoski than to a Markov, Seabrook, Rosi.

Yes, but Markov is currently falling off a cliff, so we have a problem, a need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad