TSN: Drouin asked for a trade in November, should MB make a move ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
They're going to ask for Galchenyuk in return which is why this trade is never going to happen.

Well I agree, that would be idiotic for Montreal to do. However, there are always other options. Yzerman is clearly goign to ask for Chuck though, he's clearly the better player and like 2 years ahead in his development.

This trade for Montreal would be best case scenario a sideways move. And that would take 3-4 years to even be able to see. Tampa would have to add something significant imo to make up for the development disparity. Not sure what, a 1st round pick maybe?

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
If Bergevin trades Beaulieu for Drouin I will lose a lot of hope. None of Tinordi, Barberio, Pattern or Juulsen will fill the hole that Markov retiring and Beaulieu leaving will leave.

Drouin is a risk no matter how much talent he has. A proven, young top 4 D-man like Beaulieu should not be traded for him.

Hudon, Ghetto, Tinordi, Scherbak or our 1st can be on the table. I say McCarron and Juulsen should be kept.

Eller or Weise might actually be of interest to Tampa and can be involved if were looking at the Turris or Nino trades as reference.

Scherbak + 1st or Eller/Weise + Ghetto/Hudon + Tinordi/2nd would be my offers.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
They're going to ask for Galchenyuk in return which is why this trade is never going to happen.

Yup. Those offers people here are posting won't do it. Drouin's a 3rd overall and you won't get him for 26th pick fillers and/or a 20th plus pick.

Yzerman wants a quality player for him, and if he doesn't get it here, he will go elsewhere.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Drouin was a third overall, he isn't anymore,

Draft rank doesn't last forever. See Kyle Turris, Bobby Ryan, Luke Schenn, and Ryan Whitney.

Do Yakupov or Eller for that matter still have the value of their draft ranks?

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013

Draft rank doesn't last forever. See Kyle Turris, Bobby Ryan, Luke Schenn, and Ryan Whitney.

Are you trying to rationalize your offer? Then you'll have to do it for Yzerman, he's the one you have to convince. If he doesn't get what he wants, and all that is offered is fillers, then he won't trade here. Simple as that.

Vancouver GM Jim Benning was also interested.

The Canucks general manager has called Columbus Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen to inquire about a trade for Vancouver-born Ryan Johansen. He also rang up the Tampa Bay Lightning‘s Steve Yzerman to kick tires on a trade for the disgruntled Jonathan Drouin, who requested a deal away from the Lightning in November.
The prices for both players are really high. From our perspective, maybe we don’t have the prospect depth at certain positions that they’re looking to fill to make those types of trades."

Last edited:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Well I agree, that would be idiotic for Montreal to do. However, there are always other options. Yzerman is clearly goign to ask for Chuck though, he's clearly the better player and like 2 years ahead in his development.

This trade for Montreal would be best case scenario a sideways move. And that would take 3-4 years to even be able to see. Tampa would have to add something significant imo to make up for the development disparity. Not sure what, a 1st round pick maybe?

Carey Price is 28, we aren't going to trade our budding number once center and wait for Drouin to develop, then have to find a center. Can't even imagine what the lines would be. Pleks is coming to the end of the rope too maybe.

And imagine the Lightning with Galchenyuk? ... No way Stamkos leaves if they do that trade.

Davebo*

Yup. Those offers people here are posting won't do it. Drouin's a 3rd overall and you won't get him for 26th pick fillers and/or a 20th plus pick.

Yzerman wants a quality player for him, and if he doesn't get it here, he will go elsewhere.

Then Bye-Bye, Stevie...

Seriously - no need to bankrupt our future over an unknown quantity.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015

Bad examples. Drouin is younger than those players when they were traded. In two years it would be sinilar, but in two years we will know clearly what is Drouin real potential. At this point Drouin's real potential in the NHL is still a risk. All the odds are against Bergevin in this case, division rival and franco player for which Yzerman is likely to ask a premium.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
If Bergevin trades Beaulieu for Drouin I will lose a lot of hope. None of Tinordi, Barberio, Pattern or Juulsen will fill the hole that Markov retiring and Beaulieu leaving will leave.

Drouin is a risk no matter how much talent he has. A proven, young top 4 D-man like Beaulieu should not be traded for him.

Hudon, Ghetto, Tinordi, Scherbak or our 1st can be on the table. I say McCarron and Juulsen should be kept.

Eller or Weise might actually be of interest to Tampa and can be involved if were looking at the Turris or Nino trades as reference.

Scherbak + 1st or Eller/Weise + Ghetto/Hudon + Tinordi/2nd would be my offers.

I would do Beaulieu for Drouin.

Drouin is a superb talent and he could be a dominant player.

Beaulieu can be replaced this summer with a UFA signing. We have to play Tinordi/Pateryn, they are ready to be in the lineup to finish the year.

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Petry
Barberio/Tinordi-Gilbert/Pateryn

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
I would do Beaulieu for Drouin.

Drouin is a superb talent and he could be a dominant player.

Beaulieu can be replaced this summer with a UFA signing. We have to play Tinordi/Pateryn, they are ready to be in the lineup to finish the year.

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Petry
Barberio/Tinordi-Gilbert/Pateryn

Markov is dangerously slowing down. You can't be sure that a meaningful UFA will sign here next summer, so to make an important move based on that is not serious. You simply cannot give Beaulieu for a player that is still a prospect, at top prospect, but a prospect.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Markov is dangerously slowing down. You can't be sure that a meaningful UFA will sign here next summer, so to make an important move based on that is not serious. You simply cannot give Beaulieu for a player that is still a prospect, at top prospect, but a prospect.

We will have more than 10M in cap space next year.

There are some interesting left D (UFAs) that we could sign:

Keith Yandle
Alex Goligoski
Braydon Coburn
Dan Hamhuis
Kris Russell

Tinordi and Barberio could play too.

Keith Yandle would be a good target for us.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
They will trade them to the team who has the best offer. Point final. There is no way a GM would give up a better trade package.

Some posters incorrectly think trading within the division necessitates an extra couple first rounders.

That's not how things work. It is always ideal to take the best offer.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Beaulieu + Scherbak for Drouin

Lineup 2016-2017

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher
Drouin-Galchenyuk-McCarron
Eller-Desharnais-Weise
XXX-Mitchell-XXX

Yandle-Subban
Markov-Petry
Emelin-Pateryn
Tinordi

I would trade Desharnais if possible and put Eller back at C on the third line.

Another overpayment for an unproven POTENTIAL top forward. Beaulieu has done so much more already and is further ahead in his development.

Alex514

May 10, 2015
I wouldn't mind giving up Bo for Drouin. At this point, Juuls holds more promise than Brolieu who to me anyways hasnt shown much for a supposedly offensive D-man

Netro

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Drouin's pedigree means something but not as much as it did a few years ago. Just because he was #3 overall it doesn't mean he will be a star. He still needs to prove it in the NHL. Look - he is still very young and he may become dominant or he may not, and while the likelihood still remains at this point that he will have a great career, it isn't guaranteed. There is risk. Factor in that his demand to be traded and it puts TB in a position of weakness. More often then not, the team won't get full value.

If I am MB I definitely inquire but I am not giving up young players that we know more about to get him. No way I trade Galchenyuk for him, not even close. Also, I don't move Beaulieu as well, he is Markov's replacement.

I'd offer up Tinordi and one of the AHL forwards close to the NHL, like Hudon, and a pick and if TB says no, which they will, then I walk away. Would love to have Drouin but not giving up key young pieces. (I'd throw in DD for free :))

GoHabsGo76

Fire Bergevin
Apr 16, 2009
Hawthorne, NJ
This is all sadly funny to me...I would LOVE Drouin on the Canadiens, but sadly even if we did get him, Therrien would probably bench him constantly and do no more for his development than Tampa.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Will ‏@HeyMyNameIsWill · 5m5 minutes ago
Bob McKenzie on @TSN690: In order for Tampa to trade Drouin to MTL/OTT, the offer "would have to be light years better than everyone else"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad