TSN: Drouin asked for a trade in November, should MB make a move ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
Not sure if anyone heard this but McGuire went on record to say if Habs offered Nathan Beaulieu+McCarron for Drouin it would get the deal done.

He also said TB really needs a D of NB's caliber and because we have NB we could outbid just about anyone short of Winnipeg or Avalanche who are also top of the list. Not quite sure if they'd trade Trouba but perhaps Enstrom++?

So I'm not sure if you guys would do NB+McCarron for Drouin - I'd seriously consider it but would have a tough time with the deal, those are two players I absolutely love.

Beaulieu and McCarron is an overpayment, of course it'd be enough.

Beaulieu + DLR would probably be listened, I think.

But I doubt they need another LD, they're stacked there.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
I am willing to overpay for Drouin. I think he is going to be dominant, for a variety of reasons.

This being said, if you can accept that you want him, and your willing to overpay, and that you'll have to overpay to get yzerman to send him our way, I think it makes sense to send Scherbak, Tinner, Pateryn + 1st.

Is it going to hurt us down the road? Sure, maybe.

Has Tinner proven anything? No, doesn't seem to have much upside potential.
Has Scherby proven anything? No, looked very weak in training camp this year.
Has Pateryn proven anything? Sort of, but not much upside potential.

Has Drouin proven anything? Sort of, but he has 1st line potential and even superstar potential.

We'd be giving up some uncertain futures for a chance at a fast, creative, fun player to watch who could become a part of the core.

I say do it, when you're missing the assets required to make the big name trades like RyJo, then you are forced to take a swing at a guy like Drouin with some risk attached. Otherwise we just settle with the roster we got.

Good post but this offer is terrible. I think Yzerman starts laughing and hangs up the phone.

Edit: the offer really is Scherbak + a 1st. Pateryn and Tinordi are thrown in so might as well remove them, they don't have much value.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Beaulieu and McCarron is an overpayment, of course it'd be enough.

Beaulieu + DLR would probably be listened, I think.

But I doubt they need another LD, they're stacked there.

Why would TB deal a potential superstar for a second pairing defenseman and a offensivly challenged centre who will most likely end up centering a bottom pairing line in the NHL?

I mean they could end up doing just that but in the event they do, why would they trade him to the Habs, of all NHL teams? Sounds like a high risk and low reward move to me.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
To make these type of deals work, you need comparables.

Drouin is a 20 year old - 3rd overall pick - the facts that he has limited NHL success will not be a mitigating factor - projection or ceiling is the most important comparable. That being said, the only player that fits is Galchenyuk 1 for 1. Not sure many of us would do that.

Yes big trades can occur, but you need the perfect scenario. Columbus traded a potential elite 1st line center for a potential 1 pairing defenseman. Both also filled a need - maybe Nashville more, but Columbus probably got the better player.

I can't see a similar scenario between Tamps and the Habs and then you can add the divisional rivalry to the mix.

Even high draft picks bust...Daigle, Chyzowksi, Scott Thornton (a Hab favorite of mine) was a 3rd overall as was Cam Barker. Of course there are many more, Brian Lawton, Doug Wickenheiser. My point is Drouin has proven nothing. Yes he is fast but he plays on the perimeter.
I would steer clear of offering players who have proven they can play in the NHL such as Galchenyuk and Beaulieu for a player who just got demoted to the AHL.

MeanMugging91

Jan 6, 2016
What does Eller have to do with anything? If we could get Drouin for Eller I'd drive him to Tampa and back myself.

They're not asking for Eller. They're asking for a LOT more and I don't see the justification for a guy who's often injured, can't crack the lineup and has a grand total of 6 goals in the NHL, which oddly enough is less than what Eller has in 41 games this year.

u said he can't even crack the line up. I'm saying he would be an offensive upgrade over Eller the second his skates would touch the ice next to galchenyuk. Not only that but depending on the price it would cost to get those vets u mentioned and depending on the price it would cost to get Drouin maybe we would be better off getting the 20 year old kid who would not only help out our brutal offence this year but for years to come. And I didn't state anywhere in my post that Eller would be the cost to get Drouin or even part of the package it would cost to get him. Simply saying he would be an upgrade in our top 6 and could potentially brake out into a star. That's my opinion and your allowed yours. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad