Prospect Info: Drew Helleson, RHD, 47th Overall,

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
The college thing scares me but his play is making me fall drastically in love with him. He’s starting to remind me of Philippe Myers with a little less skill but he’s even showing some skill and confidence lately
Good comparison Eddie. He has more puck skills than i thought given scouting reports. The WJC was my first viewing of him and what stood out to me was his decision making. I kept saying to myself 'nice play', then noticing it was Helleson.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I’ve honestly loved Helleson’s game and he was way more skilled than I was expecting. To be honest I was expecting Barron and Helleson to look the reverse of what they did at WJC. Helleson’s passing ability blew me away compared to expectations and he seemed to make a lot of smart decisions. Very intrigued to see how he develops

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I feel like Helleson is going to prove a lot of people wrong who didn't like that pick.

Admittedly, hated this pick (Stienburg is worse) and wanted either Fagemo or M Robertson. Excited on the possibility he could develop into an NHL player or packaged into a bigger trade?

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I always liked the pick because the reports were he was exactly what we'll need at the time he's NHL-ready. A smart, defensive-minded player who has good passing ability. That's exactly what we'll need because we already have enough flashing puck-carrying defensemen on the team and in the system. We'll need guys who can be defense first but aren't just going to ice it when they have it on their stick. If his offensive skills keep developing that's just a bonus and will keep those people happy (you know who you are) who seem to only value offensive defensemen.

Reactions: Tommy Shelby

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I always liked the pick because the reports were he was exactly what we'll need at the time he's NHL-ready. A smart, defensive-minded player who has good passing ability. That's exactly what we'll need because we already have enough flashing puck-carrying defensemen on the team and in the system. We'll need guys who can be defense first but aren't just going to ice it when they have it on their stick. If his offensive skills keep developing that's just a bonus and will keep those people happy (you know who you are) who seem to only value offensive defensemen.

Can’t say I was as high on him at the draft, but he’s developing much better than I anticipated. I might even trade Barron ahead of him honestly, if they needed to part ways with a prospect at some point.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Matt Roberts

May 26, 2019
Definitely something to be said about a steady defensive presence who can PK and, maybe more importantly, keep a reasonable cap number over the long term.

Reactions: MarkT

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Can’t say I was as high on him at the draft, but he’s developing much better than I anticipated. I might even trade Barron ahead of him honestly, if they needed to part ways with a prospect at some point.

I would wait until the much often injured Timmins can actually play a full season. Helleson has less of an upside and would consider packaging to the Sens for 2 of their 2nds (own 3 picks) to reunite with Sanderson.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I would wait until the much often injured Timmins can actually play a full season. Helleson has less of an upside and would consider packaging to the Sens for 2 of their 2nds (own 3 picks) to reunite with Sanderson.

I wouldn't trade a guy who has already shown positive development for more magic beans that might amount to nothing. If we're moving Helleson, it better be as part of a deal for a guy who can help us win a cup now. Otherwise, I'm happy to keep him.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I wouldn't trade a guy who has already shown positive development for more magic beans that might amount to nothing. If we're moving Helleson, it better be as part of a deal for a guy who can help us win a cup now. Otherwise, I'm happy to keep him.
This 100%.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Very true. Also, you need foot soldiers like Helleson to win championships. Im not trading him unless its for a serious upgrade today. So weird talking like this. At one point we had no dman to look forward too now we have too many.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Some of these guys will get traded... I can't see all three of Timmins, Barron, and Helleson with the organization by March 2022. At a certain point the Avs will need some sweeteners to add to trades and these are good, valuable pieces to the right teams. A 1st + Barron gets a solid 2nd line player on a decent contract at any forward position. It could buy a steal of a contract for a 2nd line winger/3c. Or a high end 1st line player on an expiring deal. As the expectation of Cup runs climb, these guys will end up assets and sweeteners more than projections for succession planning.
It's cool that we can trade Barron for Danault later.

Reactions: henchman21

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

AVs problem is having too many good prospects. I still believe either Timmins (injuries) or Helleson (less upside) would be moved.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

This!

Though I hope Conor Timmins breaks the curse before Helleson gets the chance, the fact remains that Colorado hasn't developed a non-1st round selection into an NHL player since Ryan O'Reilly (#33) and Tyson Barrie (#64) in 2009.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
AVs problem is having too many good prospects. I still believe either Timmins (injuries) or Helleson (less upside) would be moved.

Sure, we might have to trade one at some point, but there's absolutely nothing certain about any of our prospects. Everyone from Byram on down could end up being nothing for us. Once we actually start running out of spots for these guys, then we we should look to maybe trade one or two. Otherwise why not just sit on this wealth of ELC players? Plus, even if we do trade him, it makes no sense to reset the clock and re-roll the dice on more draft picks. The only time I want draft picks in a deal is if they're sweeteners or if the player I'm moving isn't young.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's cool that we can trade Barron for Danault later.

I think they'd keep Barron over Timmins. Less health risk and he's younger and will be on his ELC longer.

Timmins is up for a raise next off season. He may not get a big one, but if he becomes a regular this season he'll get a little more money, and the Avs don't have much to go around anymore.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I think they'd keep Barron over Timmins. Less health risk and he's younger and will be on his ELC longer.

Timmins is up for a raise next off season. He may not get a big one, but if he becomes a regular this season he'll get a little more money, and the Avs don't have much to go around anymore.
Of course they would.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

Imagine that you trade Barron, and then a month later Timmins suffers another concussion. Can't be taking that risk.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
No idea what other countries are looking like, but that's a strong team. I bet Ben Meyers makes a name for himself throughout the tournament.. Wish we signed him last year.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Good for him. Should really solidify his spot as a Top D prospect around the league and especially if he does well in the tournament it could really drive his value up, which is both a positive and a negative as if we don't trade him it might be tougher to sign him in April as well.

Reactions: 95snipes

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Good for him. Should really solidify his spot as a Top D prospect around the league and especially if he does well in the tournament it could really drive his value up, which is both a positive and a negative as if we don't trade him it might be tougher to sign him in April as well.
Well if fricking Sampo Ranta played 2 playoff games for us last year, I'm all for giving Helleson a look down the stretch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad