Prospect Info: Drew Helleson, RHD, 47th Overall,

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Helleson is always the forgotten man on this team with all the good young defenseman the Avs have and him being away from the hype machine in college.

This could be a real nice opportunity to showcase himself to Avs fans. Hope he sticks in the lineup and plays a decent sized role.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
This could be a real nice opportunity to showcase himself to Avs fans. Hope he sticks in the lineup and plays a decent sized role.
I would be so happy to see this happen. I think he can do it.

But I also think it's more likely he is solid but not noticeable. If he does show out well it could be a prelude to him being an upgrade to J Johnson/ Murray.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I would be so happy to see this happen. I think he can do it.

But I also think it's more likely he is solid but not noticeable. If he does show out well it could be a prelude to him being an upgrade to J Johnson/ Murray.

I tend to think this way about him too, but he has been improving his puck skills and production since his first year at BC. Last year he had 4 goals and 15 points in 22 games. This year he has 2 goals and 14 points in 18 games so far.

I don't watch him a ton, but when I do his passing is usually better than I expect. In a short tourney, a few really nice offensive moments could make him standout, when combined with solid physical defensive play. That's what I'm hoping for.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I think this dude plays games for the Avs this season.

Wouldn't surprise me, depending on how he does at the Olympics. No idea when Bo will be back from taking care of himself, JJ has slowed down, Murray hasn't seemed to be a good fit for this team, MacDonald is still injured, and we know MacDermid sucks at defense.

Toews-Makar
G-EJ
JJ-Helleson
Murray

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Wouldn't surprise me, depending on how he does at the Olympics. No idea when Bo will be back from taking care of himself, JJ has slowed down, Murray hasn't seemed to be a good fit for this team, MacDonald is still injured, and we know MacDermid sucks at defense.

Toews-Makar
G-EJ
JJ-Helleson
Murray

Where does Barron fit in this list? He's already played for the Avs this season, and is in the AHL.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama
Aug 25, 2009
éal
Good for him. Should really solidify his spot as a Top D prospect around the league and especially if he does well in the tournament it could really drive his value up, which is both a positive and a negative as if we don't trade him it might be tougher to sign him in April as well.
That's interesting because it's true there's not a lot of room on the Avs blueline. Of course as a RH dman he's behind Makar in the depth chart, but other than that as a right handed dman he could play with Toews, Byram, Girard... if he choose to stick with Colorado.

Reactions: LTC Pain

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Where does Barron fit in this list? He's already played for the Avs this season, and is in the AHL.

Barron is likely on the team next season being groomed to replace EJ. Unlikely RM or JJ return, they don’t seem to fit and often injured. Helleson (hopefully signed) will begin play in the AHL and injury call up.

Toews - Makar
Girard - EJ
Byram - Barron

Pairings for the 2nd or 3rd lines dependent on Byram’s health.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I hope he pans out to be a more physical Carlo
Helleson is not physical and was never drafted to be a physical predator, he was drafted to be a steady defender yet plays defence closer to Toews using his IQ than going all Hatcher on opponents. Picture him playing and having the same impact like a mid-pairing version of Jaccob Slavin.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
Helleson is not physical and was never drafted to be a physical predator, he was drafted to be a steady defender yet plays defence closer to Toews using his IQ than going all Hatcher on opponents. Picture him playing and having the same impact like a mid-pairing version of Jaccob Slavin.
I think he’s kind of a lot like EJ. (Before the golf cart accident). Good skater, good stick work, not a big hitter but can win board battles. Good leadership traits. Not a good slap shot. His offense is a little better than I first thought but he won’t really need to do that with us. Just needs to not be a detriment.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
cut (1).jpg
USA-CW1P4991.jpg

He literally looks like the nicest kid ever. Which is strange because Cale and Devon are both nice guys also. Interesting :sarcasm:

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Helleson is going to pan out. We can always invade the Ducks board and their eventual thread on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad