Prospect Info: Drew Helleson, RHD, 47th Overall,

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I honestly don't remember a ton about him when I saw the USNTDP play, but then again, a lot of the defensemen outside of Fensore didn't really make a huge impression from a fan perspective. And that's fine. The pairings were usually York/Thrun and Helleson/Vlasic.

Seems like a very sound pick. The link in the OP compares him to Brent Seabrook, though as noted he doesn't possess a booming shot. But I think this is right in line with what a stay-at-home defenseman should be nowadays. You can't get away with blueliners who have zero puck skill anymore, you want them to be capable puckhandlers and skaters in addition to being able to take on the opposition's best. Maybe he projects as a third- or middle-pairing guy, and if he does either I'll be thrilled with the pick.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Most USA WJC roster projections I have read have Helleson no worse than 2nd pair D.

Should be fun watching him. Not as big of expectations as our other WJC prospects.

I'm pretty sure he will make the team. His game has zero flash... just real good defensively and makes an excellent first pass. Beyond that, you'll probably never notice him... which is kind of a good thing.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
How physical?

He's physical, but he's not a big hitter sorts. So you're not likely to see him make a big, game changing sort of hit. Just a consistent battler and a guy who wins 1v1 battles. His game is naturally a very boring type of game.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
I see a lot of posts on the USA WJC roster talk that say USA right side defensemen is a team weakness. Probably has a lot to do with that lack of "flash" from that group. Hopefully Helleson can be paired with someone on the left side with some offensive power. See Helleson in that supporting role.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He's physical, but he's not a big hitter sorts. So you're not likely to see him make a big, game changing sort of hit. Just a consistent battler and a guy who wins 1v1 battles. His game is naturally a very boring type of game.
Kind of Tanev like?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
That is who he plays like. He's got a long ways to go to have that impact in the NHL, but his game reminds me a lot of Tanev.
Yeah I meant more in play style than ability. I mean getting a bottom pairing version of Tanev would be fantastic for this team.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
D men are kind of like interior OL in football. The more solid their game, the less you hear about them, the better they are.
So if he's a solid defender who doesn't WOW you, I will take that all day.

Reactions: LTC Pain

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Gotcha. Well at least he engages. I feel like this type of player needs to have a pinch of "mean-ness" to really round out his contribution to the team.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
D men are kind of like interior OL in football. The more solid their game, the less you hear about them, the better they are.
So if he's a solid defender who doesn't WOW you, I will take that all day.

I see defensemen as more like the defensive line. Some are like nose tackles who are just there to take on double-teams and free up other guys. You rarely notice nose tackles in highlights. Others are like rush ends, who make the big flashy plays and stand out, but still need to be able to defend the run.

Last edited:

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I see defensemen as more line the defensive line. Some are like nose tackles who are just there to take on double-teams and free up other guys. You rarely notice nose tackles in highlights. Others are like rush ends, who make the big flashy plays and stand out, but still need to be able to defend the run.

Hey, that's cool too. :laugh:

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta

sounds like the perfect partner for Girard if he develops properly. What does he have (or not have) that Duncan Siemens didn’t?

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Well first off he has semblance of puck skill which Siemens did not.

I just haven’t got to watch much of Helleson, other than a few highlights so for me it’s hard to gauge. I know Siemens handled the puck like a grenade, but he seemed like a fine #7 when he was called up way back. I guess my lack of viewing Helleson requires me to try and make a comparison to a prospect I was more familiar with and had seen play, that also was a “shut-down” defender.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I just haven’t got to watch much of Helleson, other than a few highlights so for me it’s hard to gauge. I know Siemens handled the puck like a grenade, but he seemed like a fine #7 when he was called up way back. I guess my lack of viewing Helleson requires me to try and make a comparison to a prospect I was more familiar with and had seen play, that also was a “shut-down” defender.
What I'll say is that Helleson was a very good pick, he just wasn't the best pick. He has some definite limits in puck skills and why he won't be making Makar-esque rushes, but he's much smarter than Siemens and doesn't have those grenade type negatives. If you want an Avs comparsion, picture Hellson as a smarter Patrik Nemeth without his icing ability. Should have a similar role though as a consistent defensive-first defender.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
What I'll say is that Helleson was a very good pick, he just wasn't the best pick. He has some definite limits in puck skills and why he won't be making Makar-esque rushes, but he's much smarter than Siemens and doesn't have those grenade type negatives. If you want an Avs comparsion, picture Hellson as a smarter Patrik Nemeth without his icing ability. Should have a similar role though as a consistent defensive-first defender.

Thanks for the comp. If he turns into the RHD version of Nemeth I’d be very, very happy with that. Now what is the probability he reaches that, surpasses that or fails to reach that potential?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Thanks for the comp. If he turns into the RHD version of Nemeth I’d be very, very happy with that. Now what is the probability he reaches that, surpasses that or fails to reach that potential?
If Nemeth was a solid #6 for us, Helleson should have the potential to be a good #4/5 with his ceiling being that of a #3. If he increases his swag and offensive tools, more likely he'll be a mid-pairing defenceman. With less development, he turns more into a very good bottom-pairing lad.

Reactions: Perratrooper

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Re reading that that came off as really snarky and I didn’t intend that at all, so
I apologize for that! I more meant to emphasize the fact that Siemens was horrific with the puck. Helleson is definitely a defense first player, but not in the mean SOB sort of way. I said a few posts up he sounded like Chris Tanev in that he’s good positionally and can use body and stick to defend effectively, but isn’t going to dominate physically like Siemens could. He plays a very smooth game from what I’ve heard as he’s really good skater for his size and has a great outlet pass. His big downside is he lacks any sort of offensive touch.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
sounds like the perfect partner for Girard if he develops properly. What does he have (or not have) that Duncan Siemens didn’t?

They are completely different styles of defensemen. Helleson isn't nearly as mean, skates a bit better, much better puck skill, and is a 'get it out of danger swiftly' sort of defensemen. His best skill is his passing. He is just an excellent first passer. It is crisp, accurate, and almost always the right decision. That is something Siemens never really had. He was terrible with the puck and made bad decisions. He could skate and be physical enough for the NHL, but mistakes as a stay at home are usually the death of them. If Helleson can't continue to make the right decision and the passing ability regresses to the mean... he'll bust. If it translates he can be a solid middle pairing guy that helps an offensively tilted guy immensely.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I want to be excited, but this reminds me all too much of the Meloche pick. I don’t really see the upside here.

Matthew Robertson and Nick Robertson would’ve been much better picks imo.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Re reading that that came off as really snarky and I didn’t intend that at all, so
I apologize for that! I more meant to emphasize the fact that Siemens was horrific with the puck. Helleson is definitely a defense first player, but not in the mean SOB sort of way. I said a few posts up he sounded like Chris Tanev in that he’s good positionally and can use body and stick to defend effectively, but isn’t going to dominate physically like Siemens could. He plays a very smooth game from what I’ve heard as he’s really good skater for his size and has a great outlet pass. His big downside is he lacks any sort of offensive touch.

No worries, I appreciate the clarification of the stylistic play of Helleson. For me it’s easy to get caught up with a 6’3” player who is considered a defensive defenseman, with limited offensive upside and see another Siemens with a bit more puck skill. If he turns into a healthier version of Tanev I would be extremely happy with him.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
No worries, I appreciate the clarification of the stylistic play of Helleson. For me it’s easy to get caught up with a 6’3” player who is considered a defensive defenseman, with limited offensive upside and see another Siemens with a bit more puck skill. If he turns into a healthier version of Tanev I would be extremely happy with him.
I think Chris Tanev would probably be if everything in his development goes perfect. I would expect a lesser version of Tanev.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
They are completely different styles of defensemen. Helleson isn't nearly as mean, skates a bit better, much better puck skill, and is a 'get it out of danger swiftly' sort of defensemen. His best skill is his passing. He is just an excellent first passer. It is crisp, accurate, and almost always the right decision. That is something Siemens never really had. He was terrible with the puck and made bad decisions. He could skate and be physical enough for the NHL, but mistakes as a stay at home are usually the death of them. If Helleson can't continue to make the right decision and the passing ability regresses to the mean... he'll bust. If it translates he can be a solid middle pairing guy that helps an offensively tilted guy immensely.

So why are some people on the boards so low on him? Did he struggle much in his D+1 year in making these decisions and if so how was he able to adapt to the league play?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad