Prospect Info: Drew Helleson, RHD, 47th Overall,

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
So why are some people on the boards so low on him? Did he struggle much in his D+1 year in making these decisions and if so how was he able to adapt to the league play?
I think it's a little bit of "what have you done for me lately" syndrome. Freshmen, particularly defensemen, often get buried in the NCAA as far as their role goes. Top guys like Newhook can force their way into big minutes, but Helleson, given that he isn't a flashy guy, ended up with a pretty limited role on a good team. Which is nothing to panic over. He was always going to need at least two years, and being older next year should afford him more ice time.

Reactions: Perratrooper

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
What I'll say is that Helleson was a very good pick, he just wasn't the best pick. He has some definite limits in puck skills and why he won't be making Makar-esque rushes, but he's much smarter than Siemens and doesn't have those grenade type negatives. If you want an Avs comparsion, picture Hellson as a smarter Patrik Nemeth without his icing ability. Should have a similar role though as a consistent defensive-first defender.

Didn't a lot of people want Grewe or Dorofeyev with that pick?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I thought his freshman season was fine and Helleson played enough of a second pair role. The production wasn’t amazing (6 points and Clurman even had 9) but I get it’s not all about points with a player like him. I just think a more passive player without standout tools has a tough time getting noticed in this org. Yes you can definitely use a player like that on your third pair but they don’t have patience for that from within the system. His age and maturity will help him when he’s done with school though, which is also why I’m not completely writing off Clurman either.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
I thought his freshman season was fine and Helleson played enough of a second pair role. The production wasn’t amazing (6 points and Clurman even had 9) but I get it’s not all about points with a player like him. I just think a more passive player without standout tools has a tough time getting noticed in this org. Yes you can definitely use a player like that on your third pair but they don’t have patience for that from within the system. His age and maturity will help him when he’s done with school though, which is also why I’m not completely writing off Clurman either.

You say things like this - and I know you care more about it and pay more attention to it than I do so naturally it seems like more of an issue to you - but it really has never seemed like an organization issue to me. I’d be open to more examples if you have them but recently Lindholm has been a very boring “prospect” that was given what felt like endless opportunities at the NHL level for no apparent reason other than that he had a pulse and was in the system.

It’s not like the front office is incompetent to the point of forgetting about players they were interested enough in to go out of their way to reserve the rights for. Does a more defensive D type player have a harder path to impressing their way onto the roster? Maybe but I hardly think that’s an organizational problem as much as it is a symptom of playing a position and style where going unnoticed is one of the biggest compliments you can strive for.

If Helleson pans out he’s exactly the kind of player the Avs are going to be desperate to promote from within in 3-4 years to keep the cost of depth contracts down.

The hit rate on guys like him might be lower but he seems like a good low-floor type candidate to make the roster in the near to mid term, based solely on the realities of the cap moving forward if not because he’s flashed anything in Loveland.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Lindholm was 22 years old with several years of pro experience playing in Sweden when he showed up in the system. Maybe if Helleson stays in school until he’s 22 then he gets the same consideration. I’m waiting to see if these long path college kids fare any better, it’s possible. But there’s no such thing as forced to use ELCs, there will always be those 700k range older AHL tweeners to use if need be.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Lindholm was 22 years old with several years of pro experience playing in Sweden when he showed up in the system. Maybe if Helleson stays in school until he’s 22 then he gets the same consideration. I’m waiting to see if these long path college kids fare any better, it’s possible. But there’s no such thing as forced to use ELCs, there will always be those 700k range older AHL tweeners to use if need be.

Helleson has no reason to not stay in college that long and I don’t remember the specific video but at some point during this draft they (Sakic or Hepple) mentioned that they like having prospects on the college route because it gives them that extra time to be ready to jump into the org with meaningful contributions rather than being forced in by aging out of juniors.

And there will always be cheap bottom pairing guys but a guy like Helleson managing to hold his own in a 3/4/5 role on an ELC would be a huge boon as the core all gets reupped to healthy raises.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Remember that Drew Helleson was the LEAST productive player on that entire Development team he was drafted from. Anyone expecting offense probably has their expectations set too high.

He appears to be a solid stay at home defenseman that can skate. That’s fine. But there’s never been any offense from what the stats show. When you’re a minute munching defenseman and yet still the least productive player on your team it generally means that offense is non existent.

Reactions: RumpleSnipeSkin

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
So why are some people on the boards so low on him? Did he struggle much in his D+1 year in making these decisions and if so how was he able to adapt to the league play?
I wouldn’t say that people are low on him as much as he just doesn’t have much visibility, and when it comes to flash he has basically none. That isn’t a sexy type of prospect and they can have issues in translating.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Remember that Drew Helleson was the LEAST productive player on that entire Development team he was drafted from. Anyone expecting offense probably has their expectations set too high.

He appears to be a solid stay at home defenseman that can skate. That’s fine. But there’s never been any offense from what the stats show. When you’re a minute munching defenseman and yet still the least productive player on your team it generally means that offense is non existent.

Yep. There’s no reason to believe he has muxh in the way of offensive instincts. Fortunately, he wouldn’t really need those with the Avs.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I wouldn’t say that people are low on him as much as he just doesn’t have much visibility, and when it comes to flash he has basically none. That isn’t a sexy type of prospect and they can have issues in translating.

I find the more sexy the less they usually do, they just get more handed to them.. It’s the less sexy ones that have to work harder to make up for it.

Reactions: MarkT

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
From BC coach York about Helleson:
He’s becoming a man now and everything he has done is enhanced. His shooting ability is enhanced. His board work is enhanced. He is developing into a player and all facets of his game are getting better every week. I look at the 24 or 25 players we have on the ice and he’s the one who stands out the most in terms of the difference a year has made.”

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Damn, that’s pretty encouraging stuff considering the other players on that team.
I agree it is very encouraging. I really like how Helleson's skills, or lack there of if you prefer, really set his role in stone. He can focus on improving the things that BC needs from him on their team. They have speed, skill, and a lot of talent so it allows Helleson to become a shut down, PK, puck mover.

If he ever progresses enough to be an Av, his role would undoubtable continue to be the same.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I agree it is very encouraging. I really like how Helleson's skills, or lack there of if you prefer, really set his role in stone. He can focus on improving the things that BC needs from him on their team. They have speed, skill, and a lot of talent so it allows Helleson to become a shut down, PK, puck mover.

If he ever progresses enough to be an Av, his role would undoubtable continue to be the same.
If hes a Tanev or Manson type when he arrives that would be super.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
From BC coach York about Helleson:

Helleson has been getting a bit of notice. His name popped up in trade rumors during the season last year, I think during Hall trade talks.

Which mildly surprised me at the time because he's not a name someone would normally come up with for click bait.

Which told me other teams around the league have probably been watching him with at least some interest.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Hell, I’d even take a Nemeth type player. Just to start getting some wins on guys outside of the 1st round would be big.
The fact he is a RD is icing on the cake.
Which told me other teams around the league have probably been watching him with at least some interest.
It's going to be interesting to see how Sakic plays with assets in the next two years. Glad he has to make those decisions to trade or keep prospects to build pieces of a championship team. :popcorn:

Reactions: Foppa2118

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
If he pans out it would fantastic because contract-wise, we need some young guys who don't get as much hype and don't put up big numbers, but are still super-valuable when it comes to actually winning games. Guys like that don't get the big payday, and since pretty soon we won't be able to afford big paydays, that's great.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
If he pans out it would fantastic because contract-wise, we need some young guys who don't get as much hype and don't put up big numbers, but are still super-valuable when it comes to actually winning games. Guys like that don't get the big payday, and since pretty soon we won't be able to afford big paydays, that's great.

I never really liked the pick, but believe this was for need than BPA.

RHD with the uncertainty of Timmins remains an unknown. Better players might have been available, but provides depth and some insurance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad