Prospect Info: Drew Helleson, RHD, 47th Overall,

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I’m not sure about that. He’s a 19 year old, only one of two righties. How much can they even practice/prepare anyhow. They are supposed to quarantine prior to departure to Edmonton.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
And it would take an injury for McDonald to make the team. He’s not a bad player, he is just not as good as the other eight. Lip service.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Super impressed by what I saw in the last couple games from Helleson, definitely excited to see how he continues to develop.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Super impressed by what I saw in the last couple games from Helleson, definitely excited to see how he continues to develop.

Helleson has quietly been gaining some notoriety the last year or so. Him being mentioned as a piece in a Hall package was a bit of an eye opener for me. They wouldn't just throw some scrub with no value in that package to offer NJ.

I don't know where he fits in on the Avs blueline, but it's a good problem to have. I'm also not convinced that they plan on keeping Timmins. That Toews trade gives me some suspicions.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think it’s awesome that we got the best defenseman in the 2019 draft AND BoBy.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Glad people are seeing who he is. He isn't flashy, and he isn't going to put up a lot of points, but he's got some real positives in his game. To me, his passing/decision making was on full display and will be his make or break into the NHL.

He looks like he can be the perfect modern shutdown defensemen. You just can't have a lumbering off that can just manhandle and hold people against the glass anymore. But he demonstrated really good defensive instincts, the mobility to get into the right spots and enough offensive ability to not get hemmed into his own zone.

If he continues to build on what he is, I really do think he could be the perfect partner for Byram.

Then again, I thought Bigras-Elliott was going to be the smoothest defensive tandem for the Avs, so maybe I'm just bad at scouting, haha.

Reactions: RumpleSnipeSkin

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Like I said before, I think the biggest threat to him being an NHLer with the Avs is the uncertainty of will he think it's easier to break through somewhere else.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Like I said before, I think the biggest threat to him being an NHLer with the Avs is the uncertainty of will he think it's easier to break through somewhere else.

It might help having Newhook as a teammate already. I don't really worry about that. If he continues to do well I'd assume he gets signed after next season and then plays a year or two in the AHL. The Avs are in an enviable position with their defensemen. We already have Makar as a legitimate gamebreaking threat. Byram could be one of those guys as well. Girard is already an established two-way dman, as is Toews. When/if this next group of defensemen breaks into the NHL, they are going to have a really nice transition. There's going to be no pressure on them, and they'll have the time and opportunity to iron out some kinks.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Why can't Avs draft good LDs? Barron, Byram, Helleson, Timmins and Makar are all RDs.

I guess we can hope for a Ivan Drago training regimen for Zhuravlyov, so he can break the NHL from the left side.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Umm...Byram is a LD?

I actually knew that. Dunno why I lumped him into the RD group. Then we are good. I noticed Duncan Siemens is officially listed as retired on Eliteprospects as well. Now he can finally live out his dream and be a ballet dancer.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He looks like he can be the perfect modern shutdown defensemen. You just can't have a lumbering off that can just manhandle and hold people against the glass anymore. But he demonstrated really good defensive instincts, the mobility to get into the right spots and enough offensive ability to not get hemmed into his own zone.

If he continues to build on what he is, I really do think he could be the perfect partner for Byram.

Then again, I thought Bigras-Elliott was going to be the smoothest defensive tandem for the Avs, so maybe I'm just bad at scouting, haha.

He has the right skill set to be a reliable RD. It will be interesting to watch how his passing and decision making start translating to higher levels. Frankly, I wouldn't be opposed to him coming into the AHL next year. You could debate that he could bring in more offense into his game by another year in college... but I just don't think that will ever be there to a high degree. Having him step into the pros and working on keeping up his strengths against pros might be the right move for him.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
He has the right skill set to be a reliable RD. It will be interesting to watch how his passing and decision making start translating to higher levels. Frankly, I wouldn't be opposed to him coming into the AHL next year. You could debate that he could bring in more offense into his game by another year in college... but I just don't think that will ever be there to a high degree. Having him step into the pros and working on keeping up his strengths against pros might be the right move for him.

I think this half or so college season that remains will be perfect for boosting some of his offensive confidence and if they can sign him at the end of his college year and let him play in the AHL for whatever remains in their schedule with hopefully some playoff games too.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Why can't Avs draft good LDs? Barron, Byram, Helleson, Timmins and Makar are all RDs.

I guess we can hope for a Ivan Drago training regimen for Zhuravlyov, so he can break the NHL from the left side.
In terms of succession planning on D we actually have the optimal number of LHD/RHD split right now.

Toews -------- Makar
Girard -------- Johnson
Graves -------- Cole

Byram -------- Timmins
Gilbert -------- Barron
Zhuravlyov --- Helleson

At RHD, Timmins should replace Cole by next season. The developmental timeline of Barron and Helleson (~2-3 years) also lines up perfectly with Johnson's decline, thus giving us two good shots at replacing him internally.

At LHD we are clearly well set in the top 6, but one way or another Byram will work his way in, whether by taking Cole's spot, or replacing Graves outright if Seattle select Graves in the expansion draft for example.

That said, if one were to be nitpicky, we could do with a left-sided version of Helleson or Barron in the system who is ~3 years away as well, in order to allow ourselves some flexibility 3 years from now when Byram's ELC is up; Toews will be 1 year from UFA; and presumably Graves will be gone by then as well whether by ExD, trade, or UFA. However, that is a long way off still, and this is something that can be fixed in a timely manner simply by drafting a LHD or two in the 2021 draft.

Reactions: AvsGuy and Heyduke

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Some of these guys will get traded... I can't see all three of Timmins, Barron, and Helleson with the organization by March 2022. At a certain point the Avs will need some sweeteners to add to trades and these are good, valuable pieces to the right teams. A 1st + Barron gets a solid 2nd line player on a decent contract at any forward position. It could buy a steal of a contract for a 2nd line winger/3c. Or a high end 1st line player on an expiring deal. As the expectation of Cup runs climb, these guys will end up assets and sweeteners more than projections for succession planning.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Some of these guys will get traded... I can't see all three of Timmins, Barron, and Helleson with the organization by March 2022. At a certain point the Avs will need some sweeteners to add to trades and these are good, valuable pieces to the right teams. A 1st + Barron gets a solid 2nd line player on a decent contract at any forward position. It could buy a steal of a contract for a 2nd line winger/3c. Or a high end 1st line player on an expiring deal. As the expectation of Cup runs climb, these guys will end up assets and sweeteners more than projections for succession planning.

You're wrong henchy, Avs are going to solve their issues by rolling 4 defensive pairings, and only 10 forwards. It'll be brilliant.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
You're wrong henchy, Avs are going to solve their issues by rolling 4 defensive pairings, and only 10 forwards. It'll be brilliant.

Nah you got it wrong... they are going to revolutionize hockey with a 4F 1D setup with Makar Byram,Girard, and EJ's corpse fired around the ice by cold gas thrusters as the only defensemen.

Reactions: RumpleSnipeSkin

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Nah you got it wrong... they are going to revolutionize hockey with a 4F 1D setup with Makar Byram,Girard, and EJ's corpse fired around the ice by cold gas thrusters as the only defensemen.
Nah, you've both got it wrong. They are going to take hockey by storm by icing 6 skaters and no goalie, allowing them to roll 4F+2D or 3F+3D at any given time. With Girard, Makar, Byram, Toews, etc the opposition will never touch the puck so goals against will never happen in spite of the empty net.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

RHD Drew Helleson (Colorado Avalanche/Team USA)

Team USA had a bit of a lefty-righty conundrum heading into the tournament. When they announced they were bringing nine defencemen just three were righties and just two were expected to play regular minutes. I wasn’t sure Helleson, one of those two, should have been. But wow did he ever look like he belonged once the puck dropped. He made smart choices with the puck, his skating looked smoother than a year ago, he surprised me with the number of skill plays he made within the offensive zone, regularly demonstrating soft hands and a willingness to cut to better spots. He didn’t play a huge role, finishing fifth among Team USA’s defencemen in average ice time, but I thought he was really good in those minutes and a pleasant surprise. Plus his D-zone game has always been there.

Reactions: Goulet17

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The college thing scares me but his play is making me fall drastically in love with him. He’s starting to remind me of Philippe Myers with a little less skill but he’s even showing some skill and confidence lately

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
The college thing scares me but his play is making me fall drastically in love with him. He’s starting to remind me of Philippe Myers with a little less skill but he’s even showing some skill and confidence lately

So happy for you guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->