Rumor: Dreger - Teams preparing to offer sheet Leafs' Marner PTII

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Forgot Panarin, if Marner got OS and leave. Just use that 10mil to sign Karlsson. Imagine a DCorps of Reilly-Karlsson, Muzzin-Zai,Dermott-Oz. Or maybe use those picks to trade for Doughty.

Dreger is a stirrer. He knows he no longer have Nonis to feed him info but he wants to stay relevant.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
This is the questions, why would GM offer sheet Marner, or Rantanen or Point or any RFAs, if it probably cost the same to offer UFAs, like Stone, Panarin, Duchene, Karlsson, Skinner, Bobrovsky and even Jake, Staal and Brassard.

I mean not like any teams will offer 8mil to Marner, Rantanen or Point to expect them to sign.

If they are planning to offer the RFAs, 10-12mil and potentially lose 4 1strounders, it is actually smarter to sign Stone, Panarin, Karlsson, Skinner and Duchene for around the same price or a bit less and lose no draft picks.
Exactly this ... and as much as I love Mitch if he signs an offer sheet and we could sign Mark Stone to a comparable dollar figure i would do it and take Stone and 4 first rounders over just Marner.

Stone replaces Marner and we hope the team that signs him craps the bed and those 1st rounders are high up in the lottery, ala Colorado having Ottawa's pick this year.

Reactions: ashs and Gabriel426

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
What I got from that video was Marner himself didn’t want to talk contract in season but dubas and his agent was and if they got close he would get involved. I thought before that his agent and dubas wasn’t even talking so that’s good news

Agreed. But it was widely reported by tv analysts that Ferris told Dubas no more in season negotiations

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Bringing up Phoenix over and over again is only silly talk. This came out when Bobcat (who self admittedly knows nothing about hockey) came up with this insane stupid idea. He had no idea the Phoenix owner wants out of Phoenix. He is biding his time until whatever agreement he signed with Bettman is up and he does not have to continue to fund losses under that corrupt lease agreement and with his non-existent season ticket non base. It is only Bettman who is forcing the Phoenix thing.

During that round table segment, the panel were talking “what if”scenarios and they said an OS to Matthews COULD be the only way to keep the franchise in Arizona.
In the end, they all pretty much agreed it isn’t a good fit.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
During that round table segment, the panel were talking “what if”scenarios and they said an OS to Matthews COULD be the only way to keep the franchise in Arizona.
In the end, they all pretty much agreed it isn’t a good fit.

One day, I am going to start saying McDavid is forcing his way to become a Leafs whenever someone brings up Matthews is unhappy in TO and want to sign with the Yokes.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The Weber offer sheet got him 14 years with a guaranteed $110 million. He wouldn't have gotten anything close to a 14 year deal without it, he probably got an extra guaranteed $30-40 million just from that offer sheet. That's a damn good reason to sign one.

Nowadays, what can an offer sheet give you that's so enticing to sign one? A 5 year deal for a bit more money then your team would give you? Big deal. I doubt you see any offer sheets this offseason, they've been neutered in this CBA.

That is a very good point

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If anyone is looking for the striking difference between Mitch Marner and Non-offer sheeted RFAs like Pastrnak, Gaudreau, Kuznetsov, Draisaitl and Johanason please look no further.... I have your answer:

He’s a Toronto Maple Leaf.

This is no different than any of those situations, offer sheets are rare for a reason.

Point and Laine are not Leafs. Why are Burke, Kypreos, Dreger, Lebrun mentioning them as OS candidates?

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Not it’s not? He got 6 x 41.77. That’s the value.

This is correct.

year 1: 2M signing bonus + 126/186 of his 10M first year salary = 8.77M
Year 2: 8.3M signing bonus + 0.7M salary = 9M
Years 3-6: 3.5M Signing bonus + 2.5M salary = 6M per year

8.77 + 9M + 6M + 6M + 6M + 6M = 41.77M

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
So the leafs cap hit is greater than the salary?

Yes. Nylander signed mid year. The whole point is they didn’t want teams to be able
To sign players halfway through the year to circumvent the cap.

So the money in the first year gets pro rates as a cap penalty to make sure they don’t. It didn’t matter to us because we had space

He signed a 6 year 41.77 contract. That’s all the money he gets.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
So the leafs cap hit is greater than the salary?

His cap hit is 41.77/6 = 6.96

He only counts towards the cap this year for the days he was signed, the first year ANNUAL cap hit is 10.28, he was only signed for 126/186 days of the season that pro rates down to 6.96.

He will count against the cap for 6.96M in all 6 years of the contract and he will get paid 6.96 X 6 in total.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Yes. Nylander signed mid year. The whole point is they didn’t want teams to be able
To sign players halfway through the year to circumvent the cap.

So the money in the first year gets pro rates as a cap penalty to make sure they don’t. It didn’t matter to us because we had space

He signed a 6 year 41.77 contract. That’s all the money he gets.

The first year cap annual cap hit is higher so the daily cap hit is higher, but since he is on the cap for only 126 out of 186 days, he will count for the same amount on the full year cap as he will for the remaining years of the deal.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
One day, I am going to start saying McDavid is forcing his way to become a Leafs whenever someone brings up Matthews is unhappy in TO and want to sign with the Yokes.

You missed the context of the round table discussion. At no point did they say that AZ was in a position or had any desire of signing Matthews to an OS.
They were talking about the dynamics of OS and used AZ ( simply because that is where Matthews is from) to form a pros and cons list, so to speak. At the end of the discussion they all pretty much agreed that singing in AZ would not do much to save the franchise and wouldn’t be a good idea.

The only place I ever hear or see Matthews signing with AZ is on this board.

Reactions: Gabriel426

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Didnt Dubas actually say that?

Don't think so. It was Friedman, Dreger and Kyper that said that. Also tells me Matthew's deal is close..2 fronts, 1 Dubas made a big trade, and wanted cap clarity before hand, and 2 media is coming off Matthew's OS suddenly and focusing on Marner

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Don't think so. It was Friedman, Dreger and Kyper that said that. Also tells me Matthew's deal is close..2 fronts, 1 Dubas made a big trade, and wanted cap clarity before hand, and 2 media is coming off Matthew's OS suddenly and focusing on Marner

I thought I heard Dubas say it on Leafs Lunch or simila4 type show.

I’ve been told for months by this board that the insiders know nothing and you’re telling me they know a deal for Matthews is close. It gets confusing.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011

I’ve been told for months by this board that the insiders know nothing and you’re telling me they know a deal for Matthews is close. It gets confusing.

I'm simply connecting dots. A month a ago it was offersheet Matthew's etc etc ehen reports came out a deal was gaining steam they stopped and switched to Marner to create buzz, get Twitter replies. I don't doubt teams are preparing, they have to try BUT it hasn't happened in yrs and I really believe ((esp with Marners comments)) that he would sign. Nylander eluded to other teams talking to him but he didn't want to leave toronto. Biggetlst hockey market, a team now elite, ready for cup runs..hmmm. ya I'll go to a different team, not in my hometown, miss out on a cup(s) for a couple million.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Could they not have honoured Red a few years ago? Hey let's wait until he's in his 90's. Odd.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

When you don't like what they say they're clueless, when you want to believe they're insiders. Got it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad