TSN: Dreger on Andreas Johnsson's contract (hot take alert)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
How many coaches have a great record with a dog? Plus we should have been a top 3 team in the league if not for the young GM.

Babcock's record with the Wings with one of the best managers ever was what?

Anyway, this thread is about how much Johnsson is going to get.

So at what salary amount should the Leafs move Johnsson? 2.6, 2.8?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Babcock's record with the Wings with one of the best managers ever was what?

Anyway, this thread is about how much Johnsson is going to get.

So at what salary amount should the Leafs move Johnsson? 2.6, 2.8?

If the return is good maybe we should move him regardless of what he’s asking for. Send a message that not everyone is getting paid a premium and we’re not exactly lacking in small skill guys to play with Matthews.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think part of the problem is the fans bc we all die for Leafs news. That’s why guys like Dreger and the other so-called insiders will drum these up and get clicks while agents and players all think they are hotshots.
Take a look at Nucks with Boeser, there are far less about Boeser being a RFA than AJ, which is stupid, since Boeser is a much much better player than AJ.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Hihi I’m curious what type of salary is Johnsson and Kapanen worth? What range? Trying to get an idea what they fetch in an offer sheet.

$2-$4M?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Hihi I’m curious what type of salary is Johnsson and Kapanen worth? What range? Trying to get an idea what they fetch in an offer sheet.

$2-$4M?
the chance of an offer sheet is really low in general, they just don't happen often and there's teams in this kind of cap bind every year with RFA's to sign. If someone offered them $3.5M+ I think it would be hard for the Leafs to match

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
the chance of an offer sheet is really low in general, they just don't happen often and there's teams in this kind of cap bind every year with RFA's to sign. If someone offered them $3.5M+ I think it would be hard for the Leafs to match

Johnsson at 3M or more I would say goodbye. Take the 2nd round pick and move on.

Kapanen would be tough to let go without at least a 1st round pick as compensation.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Johnsson at 3M or more I would say goodbye. Take the 2nd round pick and move on.

Kapanen would be tough to let go without at least a 1st round pick as compensation.
I would say the opposite in terms of value, Johnsson is a better player imo. I think both are worth more than 2nd round picks, but our back would be against the wall

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Yeah , ideally, wouldn’t we want to keep both? Will this be possible? If not is there anyway to get something back? Better than a 2nd.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012

Might be hard to match Johnsson and retain Kapanen, but the club could match that and I think should look to prioritizing our left side. Johnsson's injury history is the only real pause I have with the player. Other than that I think he's worth $3.5M (at the top end) outright. The problem is being worth $3.5M on our club with three players about to average $11M each.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I would say the opposite in terms of value, Johnsson is a better player imo. I think both are worth more than 2nd round picks, but our back would be against the wall
Both are worth quite a bit more than a 2nd round pick but if each of them want 3+ million the leafs may have to move a guy like Nylander to fit so I would tend to agree that you cant give them 3+. All this assumes short term bridges of course.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

I would tend to agree as well. AJ simply affects the game in more ways than Kapanen. Kap is fast as **** but i find thats really all he is.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Both are worth quite a bit more than a 2nd round pick but if each of them want 3+ million the leafs may have to move a guy like Nylander to fit so I would tend to agree that you cant give them 3+. All this assumes short term bridges of course.
I'd be inclined to move Brown and Hyman before any of Johnsson/Kapanen/Nylander, but I think there will be no offer sheets and the team will have all of the leverage in negotiations and have some incentive to let those negotiations drag into the regular season with the cap relief that comes with it. Ultimately I just hope Marleau waives and we get to trade him to a team wanting to make the cap floor, or take back like a $3M expiring contract where the team that we're trading with cares more about actual salary than cap hit. With Marleau's contract gone, we could do longer term deals for our RFA's, maybe 5-6 for Kapanen/Johnsson and 8 for Marner
Might be hard to match Johnsson and retain Kapanen, but the club could match that and I think should look to prioritizing our left side. Johnsson's injury history is the only real pause I have with the player. Other than that I think he's worth $3.5M (at the top end) outright. The problem is being worth $3.5M on our club with three players about to average $11M each.
I still think the chance of an offer sheet is very low, it very rarely happens, the last signed one was 6 years ago, and if there isn't an offer sheet neither of these guys has much leverage. I don't see a $3.5M value on a 3 year or shorter term, more like $2.25-3M depending on the length, more AAV as the term increases

I would tend to agree as well. AJ simply affects the game in more ways than Kapanen. Kap is fast as **** but i find thats really all he is.
I like Kapanen's versatility, and he generates a lot of shots but he's going to have to work in volume to be an effective scorer sort of like Jason Blake. He misses the net high way too often. But, still a really nice piece to have, I'd just take Johnsson first

beleaf101

Aug 9, 2009
In contract negotiations l wonder how much the team puts on who a player is playing with. Are Johnsson and Kappy 15 goal scorers without Matthews. I think Willy past season who you have to throw out this year but when not playing with Matthews his production dropped.
I'd even say Marner's season totals were helped by JT. Now JT benefited from Marner also but JT is already paid. If Marner is passing to Brown and Kadri what is his point totals.

We know Marner is good but how much of a premium should he get for being with JT. Kappy and Johnsson might flopp completely without Matthews .

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I'd be inclined to move Brown and Hyman before any of Johnsson/Kapanen/Nylander, but I think there will be no offer sheets and the team will have all of the leverage in negotiations and have some incentive to let those negotiations drag into the regular season with the cap relief that comes with it. Ultimately I just hope Marleau waives and we get to trade him to a team wanting to make the cap floor, or take back like a $3M expiring contract where the team that we're trading with cares more about actual salary than cap hit. With Marleau's contract gone, we could do longer term deals for our RFA's, maybe 5-6 for Kapanen/Johnsson and 8 for Marner

I still think the chance of an offer sheet is very low, it very rarely happens, the last signed one was 6 years ago, and if there isn't an offer sheet neither of these guys has much leverage. I don't see a $3.5M value on a 3 year or shorter term, more like $2.25-3M depending on the length, more AAV as the term increases

I like Kapanen's versatility, and he generates a lot of shots but he's going to have to work in volume to be an effective scorer sort of like Jason Blake. He misses the net high way too often. But, still a really nice piece to have, I'd just take Johnsson first
I wouldnt move Hyman to be honest but I get what you mean. Still if AJ/Kap both get 3+ million and the leafs trade Brown and fill the defense with ELC it will still be very very tight if Mitch makes double digits. I'm not counting on Zaitsev or Marleau leaving this summer to be honest.

I feel like managment will be very hesitant to let RFA negotiation continue during the regular season due to the Nylander situation. It really messes line chemistry up when you have to reshuffle a few guys into the top 6 mid season.

I agree that an offersheet is very unlikely but I dont see the perfect fix (Marleau waiving) happening. He wants another shot at a cup.

I would take AJ first too, largely due to the lack of left wing depth. I agree both should fall in around 2.3- 3 on 3 year deals but it seems like the leafs players are signing above market value at the moment because everyone wants their piece of the pie. It is a little worrying and the leafs do have all the leverage

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
In contract negotiations l wonder how much the team puts on who a player is playing with. Are Johnsson and Kappy 15 goal scorers without Matthews. I think Willy past season who you have to throw out this year but when not playing with Matthews his production dropped.
I'd even say Marner's season totals were helped by JT. Now JT benefited from Marner also but JT is already paid. If Marner is passing to Brown and Kadri what is his point totals.

We know Marner is good but how much of a premium should he get for being with JT. Kappy and Johnsson might flopp completely without Matthews .

The team will say linemates play a big role.

The player will say they don't.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I wouldnt move Hyman to be honest but I get what you mean. Still if AJ/Kap both get 3+ million and the leafs trade Brown and fill the defense with ELC it will still be very very tight if Mitch makes double digits. I'm not counting on Zaitsev or Marleau leaving this summer to be honest.

I feel like managment will be very hesitant to let RFA negotiation continue during the regular season due to the Nylander situation. It really messes line chemistry up when you have to reshuffle a few guys into the top 6 mid season.

I agree that an offersheet is very unlikely but I dont see the perfect fix (Marleau waiving) happening. He wants another shot at a cup.

I would take AJ first too, largely due to the lack of left wing depth. I agree both should fall in around 2.3- 3 on 3 year deals but it seems like the leafs players are signing above market value at the moment because everyone wants their piece of the pie. It is a little worrying and the leafs do have all the leverage
agree on the Leafs' RFA's seeming to get more than market so far, and that's really a critical point for a team with so much talent. I think the one thing that's different with Kapanen/Johnsson than with the others is that they are not core players and there's a chance that non-roster players who are ready for NHL duty are passable replacements (Bracco/Korshkov/Mikheyev/Moore/Engvall/Brooks/Timashov), where I don't think there was ever a case to make that the same would be true for Nylander/Matthews/Marner. So hopefully Dubas changes his approach this time around.

let's keep our fingers crossed for Marleau waiving and someone being willing to acquire him for something that doesn't hurt, that would be such a godsend

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
agree on the Leafs' RFA's seeming to get more than market so far, and that's really a critical point for a team with so much talent. I think the one thing that's different with Kapanen/Johnsson than with the others is that they are not core players and there's a chance that non-roster players who are ready for NHL duty are passable replacements (Bracco/Korshkov/Mikheyev/Moore/Engvall/Brooks/Timashov), where I don't think there was ever a case to make that the same would be true for Nylander/Matthews/Marner. So hopefully Dubas changes his approach this time around.

let's keep our fingers crossed for Marleau waiving and someone being willing to acquire him for something that doesn't hurt, that would be such a godsend
I agree, Dubas needs to take a hard line with guys like AJ/Kap. You can't be overpaying these non core guys as you said.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008

They’ll be interesting negotiations.
Dubas took some ownership for not moving faster with WN. Says he’d do things differently.
I have the feeling he doesn’t mind paying the elite.
He might squeeze the middle class hard.

Reactions: kb

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
With Bracco, Moore, Korshkov and Mikheyev in the wings I wonder how much we really need to re-sign Johnsson. It would have obviously been useful to have a longer NHL evaluation to gauge ceiling but if the Marlies and free agents from Europe can produce these types of forwards it alleviates the pressure of having to overpay them.

Reactions: kb and Menzinger

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They’ll be interesting negotiations.
Dubas took some ownership for not moving faster with WN. Says he’d do things differently.
I have the feeling he doesn’t mind paying the elite.
He might squeeze the middle class hard.

I wonder if he’s also strategically overstocking on European free agents to undermine the little bargaining power Johnsson and Kappy may have had.

Reactions: kb and Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad