TSN: Dreger on Andreas Johnsson's contract (hot take alert)

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
The Overdrive panel discussed Dreger's insider information on Johnsson and his contract.

Johnsson was allegedly offered a contract around the time of the trade deadline: "2.2 million on a 2 year deal, and 2.6 million on a 4 year deal. He declined."

Hayes' hot take was this: "It's really starting to concern me here. I feel like every player on this team feels that they can take this front office for a dance. 2 years at 2.1 and you couldn't lock that down? How difficult is it to sign Andreas Johnsson!? If this player is somewhere else in the league then that gets done. I can't figure out if it's Dubas and company can't convince these guys to take the deals, or players feel like 'if that guy is getting paid then I'm getting paid',or my agent can get the deal and pressure you. What is it about the maple leafs that differentiate themselves from everyone else in the league?!"

Anyway, an interesting discussion about the leafs and the Johnsson contract .

Dubas is not going to have an easy go this offseason.

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
If i were dubas i'd stay firm on that 2 or 4 year deal offer, imo the offer is fair.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
The Overdrive panel discussed Dreger's insider information on Johnsson and his contract.

Johnsson was allegedly offered a contract around the time of the trade deadline: "2.2 million on a 2 year deal, and 2.6 million on a 4 year deal. He declined."

Hayes' hot take was this: "It's really starting to concern me here. I feel like every player on this team feels that they can take this front office for a dance. 2 years at 2.1 and you couldn't lock that down? How difficult is it to sign Andreas Johnsson!? If this player is somewhere else in the league then that gets done. I can't figure out if it's Dubas and company can't convince these guys to take the deals, or players feel like 'if that guy is getting paid then I'm getting paid',or my agent can get the deal and pressure you. What is it about the maple leafs that differentiate themselves from everyone else in the league?!"

Anyway, an interesting discussion about the leafs and the Johnsson contract .

Dubas is not going to have an easy go this offseason.
Hahahahah

I've been saying this since the Nylander contract debacle. Finally, media personalities are starting to comment on it.

Dubas buckled on Nylander at the last minute, and all of the other agents now see blood. It's so bloody obvious what's happening.

Who would have thought... a rookie gm (on arguably the most important year for a leafs gm in the modern era) wasn't a very good idea.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Hahahahah

I've been saying this since the Nylander contract debacle. Finally, media personalities are starting to comment on it.

Dubas buckled on Nylander at the last minute, and all of the other agents now see blood. It's so bloody obvious what's happening.

Who would have thought... a rookie gm (on arguably the most important year for a leafs gm in the modern era) wasn't a very good idea.
Lou was supposed to mentor him. Apparently the training wheels weren't ready to come off. That falls on Shanahan.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Lou was supposed to mentor him. Apparently the training wheels weren't ready to come off. That falls on Shanahan.
Fully agree.

Imagine this was like any other team, and we had an elite young core that our gm was able to sign for fair market value.

These contracts will CRIPPLE this team going forward. It's just so painfully obvious.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Someone else reported also that the Leafs checked in on AJ and Kapanen before the trade deadline. AJ wants a big pay day while Kapanen is willing to be more reasonable and wants to stay with the Leafs. I don't remember who reported it so take it for what it's worth.

Reactions: Eric bungay

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I don't believe Hayes is aware that Johnsson is arbitration eligible (unless he referenced it somewhere that wasn't quoted). That plays a role here, and also timing of contracts..I believe around the TD is when Johnsson was playing his best month?

Reactions: Pookie

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I don't believe Hayes is aware that Johnsson is arbitration eligible (unless he referenced it somewhere that wasn't quoted). That plays a role here, and also timing of contracts..I believe around the TD is when Johnsson was playing his best month?
Happy to give Johnsson a one year deal here.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

Yes. They did mention every context. People should listen to the podcast. I'm typing most of the hot takes/emotion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad