TSN: Dreger on Andreas Johnsson's contract (hot take alert)

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
There isn’t anyone more credible than Mackenzie. Is he right all the time? No. But I’ll take the 20+ year veteran who is basically a mouthpiece for GMs over the commentary guy who retired a decade ago.

Johnsson isn’t touching 3.5. He’s played one season in the NHL.

Please stop. Crowning people or quantifying statements is ridiculous. I respect Mackenzie, but let's not just say that he the only voice that matters.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
It looks like he pulled that number out on his rear end.

If one actually breaks down the numbers of his comparable contracts it has him making well under 3 mil

No. He just thinks highly of Johnsson. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Hayes has a point.

He does. Instead of taking a hometown discount, players are holding Dubas' feet to the fire in negotiations. The media hype in this city plays into it, and the internal salary hierarchy is obviously a major factor as well.

I'm at the point whereby I will support the tough decisions that need to be made moving forward regarding player personnel. There should be a very short list of untouchables including Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Rielly and Andersen.

All of our other current roster players should be considered expendable in my opinion. We have some kids on the Marlies that are ready to step in next season.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
No. He just thinks highly of Johnsson. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
Thinking highly of, and paying someone what they are worth, are 2 very different things that are not necessarily tied together. He's worth exactly what the Leafs are willing to pay him, or what the arbitrator decides. He's expendable and replaceable. Top end talent isn't.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
AJ has arbitration rights and he might just let an arbitrator decided his next deal.

Him and Kappy both have similar stats this year.
Teravainen has much better stats than Nylander over the past two seasons. He recently signed for 5.4x5

I’m told it’s because Teravainen is 2 years older.

Should that not now apply to Johnsson vs Kapanen?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The NHL has become a league for the very best players in the world along with the cheapest players available. The 'middle class' gets shafted.

But, hey, parity!

Its true.

Though "middle class" player salaries have been absurdly high for a while. now. Gone are the days any mediocre player hitting free agency be guaranteed in that 3-5 mil range

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Teravainen has much better stats than Nylander over the past two seasons. He recently signed for 5.4x5

I’m told it’s because Teravainen is 2 years older.

Should that not now apply to Johnsson vs Kapanen?

If the Leafs could only afford to keep only 1 they might lean to the younger player in Kapanen.

Their contracts $$ amount may not be all that different with both being close to $3 mil price ranges.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
If the Leafs could only afford to keep only 1 they might lean to the younger player in Kapanen.

Their contracts $$ amount may not be all that different with both being close to $3 mil price ranges.
So why did the age thing apply to Teravainen vs Nylander but not Kapanen vs Johnsson?

Reactions: rumman

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
So why did the age thing apply to Teravainen vs Nylander but not Kapanen vs Johnsson?

I think age and experience matters, and that would be taken into consideration, but also future projections as well.

Johnsson might be older but he also has arbitration rights so if he doesn't like the Leafs offer he can take his case to Arb court and let someone else decide. So he has a strong negotiating position with more options.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
I think age and experience matters, and that would be taken into consideration, but also future projections as well.

Johnsson might be older but he also has arbitration rights so if he doesn't like the Leafs offer he can take his case to Arb court and let someone else decide. So he has a strong negotiating position with more options.
Teravainen also had arbitration rights if he chose to use them. He actually had BETTER stats than Nylander the last two seasons, but signed a far far cheaper contract.

This has always been rationalized to me as TT being 2 years older.

So again, why doesn’t that age thing apply to Kapanen vs Johnsson?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Teravainen also had arbitration rights if he chose to use them. He actually had BETTER stats than Nylander the last two seasons, but signed a far far cheaper contract.

This has always been rationalized to me as TT being 2 years older.

So again, why doesn’t that age thing apply to Kapanen vs Johnsson?
The age thing does apply to Johnsson and Kapanen. The doomsdayers tend to ignore evidence and think of only the worst possible outcome.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
That's the issue though, I mean, I like Johnsson a lot too, but dont think he deserves any more money because of that.

Yeah. Ever since the Nylander debacle most fans side with the team in these situations. Like Hayes and other TSN panelists were saying: "Dubas is eventually going to have to put a stop to bulging contracts, or if he doesn't then he'll have to trade a few players."

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
The age thing does apply to Johnsson and Kapanen. The doomsdayers tend to ignore evidence and think of only the worst possible outcome.
So if Kapanen and Johnsson sign for similar money and term (meaning the age thing didn’t apply), does that mean that Dubas messed up big time by paying Nylander so much more money than what Teravainen got?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It depends.
Where are you playing these guys?
Is a 1st line winger with Matthews/Nylander more important than a 3rd line winger for ???

Who is playing top line?

Reactions: Buds17

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
So you don't think Canada was the favorite to win in those games?

Favourite sure? Large enough favorite to discredit his accomplishment. Hell no. Could have easily lost any of those games. Whatever value you place on a coach, he gets full credit for.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
That was the point they were making his record without a front runner isn't very good.

How many coaches have a great record with a dog? Plus we should have been a top 3 team in the league if not for the young GM.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
How many coaches have a great record with a dog? Plus we should have been a top 3 team in the league if not for the young GM.

I find it funny how obvious your agenda is here. I wouldn’t say it’s trolling but it’s annoying taking up valuable space from other posters who actually know what they are talking about.

And I’m not even a Dubas fan. Lol.

Reactions: BrainyBomber

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
So if Kapanen and Johnsson sign for similar money and term (meaning the age thing didn’t apply), does that mean that Dubas messed up big time by paying Nylander so much more money than what Teravainen got?
To answer that question a bit...TT was bridged originally and now he is being paid based on prime production. I think Dubas thought if he bridged Willy then he would go PPG the next few years and command 9 million in a few years. Dubas was betting on production seeing how well Marner was doing this year and was betting on Nylanders potential not purely what he has done so far production wise. Was it a smart gamble? We will see but TT is definitely on an absolute steal of a contract.

TTs contract is under market value. Look at Gourdes contract in Tampa which is known to pay less because of no taxes.

Nylanders contract wont look so bad in a few years. Thats my bet, and we will see how it plays out.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
To answer that question a bit...TT was bridged originally and now he is being paid based on prime production. I think Dubas thought if he bridged Willy then he would go PPG the next few years and command 9 million in a few years. Dubas was betting on production seeing how well Marner was doing this year and was betting on Nylanders potential not purely what he has done so far production wise. Was it a smart gamble? We will see but TT is definitely on an absolute steal of a contract.

TTs contract is under market value. Look at Gourdes contract in Tampa which is known to pay less because of no taxes.

Nylanders contract wont look so bad in a few years. Thats my bet, and we will see how it plays out.
It's just the same usual "excuses" though.

You're pretty much saying; "Well... Carolina has a good GM that signed TT to a good contract. Leafs have a bad gm that signed Nylander to a bad contract."

Yeah, I know.

(My frustration in this post is directed at Dubas, not at you.)

Last edited:

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
It's just the same usual "excuses" though.

You're pretty much saying; "Well... Carolina has a good GM that signed TT to a good contract. Leafs have a bad gm that signed Nylander to a bad contract."

Yeah, I know.

(My frustration in this post is directed at Dubas, not at you.)
That's pretty much the real answer, but if you like fiction you can always read these threads. It will be interesting to see how Aho's new contract compares to Marner's.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I think we are over estimating the negative on term for Matthews. He will only get a raise from the Leafs if he has overachieved on his current deal and the team is winning. Otherwise he will be moved and that cap may get invested in the kid from Newmarket. I think the former will happen, but the latter isn’t a bad backup plan.

We have 4 years to prep then we can watch this unfold.

Remember...Matthews gets 93% in signing bonuses every year ahead of gate revenues...no other team does that...he could literally and simply park that cash in a short-term low risk money market instrument for a couple extra hundred thousand dollars a year...the Leafs made all the concessions, and he made none.

It's greed, really. Unless he completely falls off the map, he will get a raise for just being a UFA and using the "percent of the cap" formula that agents like to use. I think year 4 is when the Leafs will need to decide whether to trade Matthews or not, and that will depend on how the Leafs do during those years leading up to it...they can't risk going into year 5 with that NMC and him becoming a UFA...if they could extend him before, great.

There's this recent trend these days that RFAs should be paid like UFAs now because they are making a bigger impact at a younger age, so there shouldn't be a gap in their pays...okay...then explain why do teams still need to pay a freakin' premium to buy UFA years if there's no difference?! (It's a rhetorical question, not asking you to answer it). It's mind-boggling there's all this greed spreading around but disguised by agents with a boatload of excuses and euphemisms.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad